PRODUCT BUILDUP! What's going on?

Sunshine0801

I have product build up and dandruff and I don't know why.

I clarify once a month and DC twice a month.

I do not apply products directly to my scalp.

I spritz daily with my homemade spray (water, glycerin, Giovanni Direct leave-in, honey, CD hair milk, Kenra MC, and EO's) and seal with avocado butter.

I haven't had a problem with build up and dandruff in years. Could it be the honey or Kenra in my spritz? I just added them to my spritz about a week ago.

Thanks in advance ladies...

You might not be cleansing your hair effectively enough when you shampoo. I had a similar problem for a VERY long time. Make sure you concentrate the shampoo suds your on scalp and if you have a handheld shower attachment, use it. Make sure the pre-rinse your hair, concentrating on the scalp for a full 3 minutes before you add shampoo. You can focus a little longer on the very itchy/flaky areas. HTH.

How often do you wash? Do you massage your scalp? I think massaging it even when you wash helps to slough off the dead skin cells. What about brushing? That might also help to brush off some of the accumulated gunk then wash it out.

You might not be cleansing your hair effectively enough when you shampoo. I had a similar problem for a VERY long time. Make sure you concentrate the shampoo suds your on scalp and if you have a handheld shower attachment, use it. Make sure the pre-rinse your hair, concentrating on the scalp for a full 3 minutes before you add shampoo. You can focus a little longer on the very itchy/flaky areas. HTH.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I don't own shampoo. I'm afraid of drying out my hair and I thought that I don't need shampoo as long as I clarify once a month. I was thinking about trying CON but read that it creates buildup on the scalp, so it would be pointless for me to use that to remove buildup.

How often do you wash? Do you massage your scalp? I think massaging it even when you wash helps to slough off the dead skin cells. What about brushing? That might also help to brush off some of the accumulated gunk then wash it out.

I used to wash once a week but I got tired of having frizzy braids/twists so I started washing once every other week (every time I redo by braids/twists).

I only massage my scalp when I wash. Do you massage your scalp daily (even when you don't wash)?

I used the denman brush yeaaaaaaars ago, but I was losing a lot of hair with it so I stopped. I'll look into finding a brush that is natural 4 a/b - friendly that is more gentle on the hair than the denman. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply. :)

I don't own shampoo. I'm afraid of drying out my hair and I thought that I don't need shampoo as long as I clarify once a month. I was thinking about trying CON but read that it creates buildup on the scalp, so it would be pointless for me to use that to remove buildup.

Some people can clarify once a month but that depends on their regime and how fast their hair naturally gets dirty. I have to shampoo every 3-4 days, my scalp would pack up :driver: away and :slap: me if I didn't...........If you are afraid of dryness, I would suggest diluting the shampoo. You can get a cheap squeeze bottle and use that to mix it together. Also, if you are concentrating the suds on your scalp and are using a pH balanced shampoo, dryness shouldn't be an issue, especially if you are keeping up with your conditioning treatments. You can also look into sulfate free shampoos. Some people have gotten better results with those. Aveda and Organix makes sulfate free shampoo's. I personally really like Elasta qp shampoo for relaxed hair. It isn't sulfate free but uses the more gentle sulfates and has a pH of 4.5. It only costs about 2 bucks at Sallys and you only have to use a small amount to get the job done. Again, pre rinsing your hair and scalp too will help you get your hair cleaner faster without alot of shampoo. It has been a HUGE difference for me in the amount of shampoo I have to use. When you are pre rinsing, use your fingers as your wet your hair to help the water run through all the sections of your scalp. You can also massage some oil in before you wash, I sometimes rub a generous amount of coconut oil into my hair and scalp the night before I plan to wash.

Last edited:
Some people can clarify once a month but that depends on their regime and how fast their hair naturally gets dirty. I have to shampoo every 3-4 days, my scalp would pack up :drive: away and :smack: me if I didn't...........If you are afraid of dryness, I would suggest diluting the shampoo. You can get a cheap squeeze bottle and use that to mix it together. Also, if you are concentrating the suds on your scalp and are using a pH balanced shampoo, dryness shouldn't be an issue, especially if you are keeping up with your conditioning treatments. You can also look into sulfate free shampoos. Some people have gotten better results with those. Aveda and Organix makes sulfate free shampoo's. I personally really like Elasta qp shampoo for relaxed hair. It isn't sulfate free but uses the more gentle sulfates and has a pH of 4.5. It only costs about 2 bucks at Sallys and you only have to use a small amount to get the job done. Again, pre rinsing your hair and scalp too will help you get your hair cleaner faster without alot of shampoo. It has been a HUGE difference for me in the amount of shampoo I have to use. When you are pre rinsing, use your fingers as your wet your hair to help the water run through all the sections of your scalp. You can also massage some oil in before you wash, I sometimes rub a generous amount of coconut oil into my hair and scalp the night before I plan to wash.

Yeah, I think I may have to start using shampoos. I've never tried diluting them so hopefully that will help with preventing dryness.

How can you tell if a shampoo is sulfate free?

Yeah, I think I may have to start using shampoos. I've never tried diluting them so hopefully that will help with preventing dryness.

How can you tell if a shampoo is sulfate free?

Just check the ingredients. I personally think that some of the problems people have from shampoo's stems from not using the right one and using it improperly.

Oh, so the ingredient that the shampoo should not have is literally "sulfate"? Got it. Thanks!!

There are different kinds of sulfates. Some are gentler than others. I think sistaslick has something written in her articles about it. You can do some google searches about sulfates.

There are alot of shampoos that do not have any sulfates (sodium laureth sulfate one type of sulfate).
One shampoo I do use.. Well I use it as a body wash.. as well. Is Castile Soap. Dr. Woods or Dr. Bronners are both brands of castile soap. I use it alot to wash my hair.

But there are tons and tons of shampoos that doesnt have sulfates. I know there is a thread that tells what other shampoos that doesnt have sulfates in them. And google is your best friend when it comes down to research

Aubrey Organics, Aveda, Castile Soap (Dr.Bronners or Dr. Woods but some may think its a bit too dry on the hair), Cream of Nature. I think there are others.

Good Luck to you

SLS poos tangle my hair sth fierce and i think we have the same texture.... i only poo maybe 4 -6x a yr and the poos i use are Aveda Dr., Kenra moist.poo, curls cleansing cream...for clarifying....i use suave clarifying and kenra clarifying...these poos do not tangle my hair and i only lather ONCE...HTH

You need to work clarifying into your regimen. I used to never clarify and I wonder how my hair survived. My hair is thriving on Joico and Herbal Essence products; but most of them are truly hard core and can leave build up.

Once I started clarifying my hair looked great!

I use the clarifying shampoo by Herbal Essence.

Back