private messages censored??

Private messages are not completely private and it's my understanding that the admins and mods can access them.

I knew the admins could access them, but it was my understanding, from one of the admins I have spoken to, that they don't make a habit of going into PMs...unless there is a cause to do so. IMO, I honestly think the admin have too much to do beside sit around snooping in everybody's PMs, which is obvious by the great job done on this forum. Think about all the people on this forum, now think about the idea of the admin having to...no, wanting to look into all their PMs, that would take forever. I think they only go into them when unwanted material has been brought to their attention, something is wrong with your PM system, or something along those lines. But if I'm wrong, I too would be in shock. :)

Tai said:
Private messages are not completely private and it's my understanding that the admins and mods can access them.
Tai, where did you get this information from? I can't, I repeat, I can't access anyone's private messages besides my own.

I've been told this from various members. Mods can't access PM's but admins can? Is that correct, Allandra?

You are the only person who has access to your private messages because your account is password protected. The administration does not have access to your password. To do so, we would have to log on as you, and we can only do that if you give us your password to look at a problem for you. Keep in mind that members do share pm's. So if information is passed around, it's because the messages have been forwarded to other people, who in turn, forward them to someone else. Closed accounts become disabled and unaccessable unless membership is reinstated. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for clearing this up for the members Pebbles. :)

pebbles said:
You are the only person who has access to your private messages because your account is password protected. The administration does not have access to your password. To do so, we would have to log on as you, and we can only do that if you give us your password to look at a problem for you. Keep in mind that members do share pm's. So if information is passed around, it's because the messages have been forwarded to other people, who in turn, forward them to someone else. Closed accounts become disabled and unaccessable unless membership is reinstated. Hope that helps. :)

To clarify a bit more:

The only people that can see everything are the ones that have access to the database itself i.e. Beverly and myself. The forum software does not allow people from reading other people's private messages. There is a function for admins to do that but we never used it since I joined the forum back in January 2003. Until now there has never been any really serious reason for us to see a member's PMs. We even had certain members banned and never looked at their accounts either - nor do we intend to.

Although you all store a form of personal data (i.e. your opinion) with each post and this storage is not located in your own house, we have it as a rule to protect your privacy. This view of Long Hair Care Forum can be strengthened by the fact that your profiles are only accessible by subscribed members and nobody else plus additional security features that are in place for this reason alone.

Back