Pressed natural hair that WON'T HOLD A CURL

zzirvingj

I pressed my hair last Thursday with my new love---my FHI 302RVI...what's crazy is that it seems to take several days before my hair truly "flattens down" after pressing it. It has this poofy thing going on the first day or two, and doesn't seem to lay down until like the 3rd or 4th day.

Anywho, I want some curls in my hair! I shoulda rollerset it, but I didn't feel like sitting under the dryer for that long. I have tried to curl my hair with a flat iron before, the little bit of curl I did get lasted for all of 2 MINUTES :ohwell::perplexed:nono:

How can I get some curls in my hair on my pressed natural hair that will last for a few days??

It's weird but when I flat iron my hair straight it will not curl. Whatever I do to try to give it some movement it just falls back straight. However my hair curls really well when I've straightened it by doing a silk wrap. I've been thinking of trying Caruso's for curls on flat ironed hair but I'm scared it will get frizzy from the steam. I've gotten good results from bantu knots though. I've read that if you do a few bantu knots, cover your hair in a shower cap and take a shower the steam will set the curls.

Girl I wish I knew. I flat ironed my hair the other day and had that poofy thing going on. I had my friend re-flat iron it the next day (I am praying I have no heat damage). When I had her doing my hair using my Chi and heat protectant (Beyond the Zone) she couldn't get my hair to curl for anything, but when she tried her heat protectant (a generic knock-off of Chi heat guard from Sally's) my hair held a curl.

But I didn't let her use her heat protectant b/c it had alcohol in it and it made this horrible sizzling sound when she flat ironed one piece with it (to compare the heat protectants).

I've been wrapping my hair at night and that helps some, but by the end of the day the bump on the ends is gone again.

It's weird but when I flat iron my hair straight it will not curl. Whatever I do to try to give it some movement it just falls back straight. However my hair curls really well when I've straightened it by doing a silk wrap. I've been thinking of trying Caruso's for curls on flat ironed hair but I'm scared it will get frizzy from the steam. I've gotten good results from bantu knots though. I've read that if you do a few bantu knots, cover your hair in a shower cap and take a shower the steam will set the curls.

Hhhmmmm...can I still do a silk wrap on my pressed hair today? Or does it need to be done immediately after washing/rollersetting/etc.?

Nope...will pincurls give a tight curl or only a loose curl? Cuz I saw pics of someone do them recently that had REALLY good results...

Also, will I probably need to pincurl nightly to keep the look?

My siggy pics is of my pin curled hair AFTER work. They come out as tight as you style them and last a long time.

ETA: I use Chi Silk Infusion and Chi Iron Guard + A little coco oil

Last edited:
My siggy pics is of my pin curled hair AFTER work. They come out as tight as you style them and last a long time.

ETA: I use Chi Silk Infusion and Chi Iron Guard + A little coco oil

Looks great :yep: :drunk:

I may just try doing the silk wrap as Pokahontas mentioned, and then pincurl it at night :yep:

Mine doesn't hold a curl freshly straightened either. I usually bump it with a curling iron after a few days with a little wax. That's the only way the curls will hold.

When I straighten my own hair it never holds a curl either, but when I go to the salon they blow dry, flat iron it and curls it with the flat iron.

Afterwards, I pin curl my hair to keep the curl. The style in my avatar has lasted for a week with less spiral and a little looser curl. Still cute a week later.

Don't know why it refuses to curl when we do it ourselves, maybe we are less liberal with the heat(shrugs shoulders).

I usually flatiron my hair and the first or first and second night put a little moisturizer ORS Olive Oil Lotion or Coconut oil on the ends and set the curl with the flexirods for one night. Your hair looks long enough to brush it into one or two sections(or a ponytail) and set it on on or two flexirods overnight. After that my hair has enough curl and body so that I can pincurl it for until next wash day. HTH!

Back