Pregnancy/Hair Care

newsgrl

Hello Ladies-
While I am not pregnant, I am curious...are there certain pills you can take while pregnant, like biotin, flaxseed,etc.? I notice a few of you are expecting "little ones" and I know you don't want to lose the progress you have seen in terms of your hair's health. But you also have to be concerned about the baby's health even more so. So I was just wondering if any of your doctor's have approved some of the vitamins/supplements that are a part of your hair care regimen...

I am going through this now. I am newly expecting and I discontinued my GNC / HNS until I chat with my dr. this week because Im concerned about the ingredients.

In addition I notice that my hair is changing and shedding so Im not doing as much to it I am conditioning with Suave/Coconut Condish and castor oil. Thats helped me so far and I trimmed....

Im not using anything else on my hair and Im not taking any vitamins until I get the official seal of approval from my Dr. :perplexed

In terms of vitamins the only ones I have been taking are my prenatals.
I was taking viviscal (only for 3 months) and biotin (5 months) which I stopped for my own peace of mind as soon as I found out I was expecting.

I think flaxseed is a no-no. I just started taking regular ol' prenatals vitamins. I might have to drop the others. I'm going to carefully research MSM and silica. Those are the ones my hair, skin, and knees love.

ETA: I'm not preggers yet... at least I don't think I am. :blush3:

My doctor said that outside of pre-natal vitamins, the only thing I could take was Expecta Omega 3 vitamins (made for pregnant women and essential for brain and eye development) and iron tablets. HTH.

I'm just taking my prenatal and expecta (DHA omega 3 supplement for pregnant women). Flaxseed should be avoided, so I cut that as soon as I found out.

i take the expecta omega the duel prenatals i stopped taking hair skin and nails when i first found out

i have no idea how im going to keep up with my hair while taking care of a newborn and a 18month old

I take One Source prenatal vitamins and an extra iron capsule every day. I heard that you shouldn't take MSM if you're trying to conceive.

that reminds me i need to pick up my rx for iron pills
i know you cant take evening primerose they use that to make you dilate

my hair has never been as thick since i have been pregnant

has anyone noticed most of use are due within weeks of each other?

that reminds me i need to pick up my rx for iron pills
i know you cant take evening primerose they use that to make you dilate

my hair has never been as thick since i have been pregnant

has anyone noticed most of use are due within weeks of each other?
that's weird...

i have no idea how im going to keep up with my hair while taking care of a newborn and a 18month old

I'm going to be in the same boat as you. I think I might just wash and go for awhile and then twist my hair once a week. I'm having a c-section so I need to decide what to do with my hair. Last time I looked like a hot mess in the hospital. I'm scared of getting braid extentions because the hair always cuts into my own hair. Maybe by the time I deliver, I will have enough to cornrow my own hair. My son just made 1yr and I will have my DD in Nov. Good luck and congrats on your baby and soon to be!

to answer the question, I just take prenatals. I did take the expecta earlier during the pregnancy. I need to get some more of that.

I am glad to see this, I immediately stopped taking my hair vitamins and will start on my prenatal vitamins. Does anyone know the effects of the hair vitamins while breastfeeding?

I am glad to see this, I immediately stopped taking my hair vitamins and will start on my prenatal vitamins. Does anyone know the effects of the hair vitamins while breastfeeding?

im not sure about that, but prenatals are great for hair and skin and the omega prenats are good im just going to continue with that after i have the baby because i really want to breastfeed,

I'm going to be in the same boat as you. I think I might just wash and go for awhile and then twist my hair once a week. I'm having a c-section so I need to decide what to do with my hair. Last time I looked like a hot mess in the hospital. I'm scared of getting braid extentions because the hair always cuts into my own hair. Maybe by the time I deliver, I will have enough to cornrow my own hair. My son just made 1yr and I will have my DD in Nov. Good luck and congrats on your baby and soon to be!

congrats to you also i have a dd righ now and im having a boy
i havent even thought about what im going to do with my hair while im in labor, maybe a french braid.
im glad i reverted to airdrying because i will be doing alot of that after the baby is here.

I just take a prenatal and expectra too. My hair doesn't shed at all or break off...thank goodness, b/c pre-pregnancy, I had hair like straw :perplexed

congrats to you also i have a dd righ now and im having a boy
i havent even thought about what im going to do with my hair while im in labor, maybe a french braid.
im glad i reverted to airdrying because i will be doing alot of that after the baby is here.
I am late but congrats to all that are expecting. I was thinking about hair care with this pregnancy with my son, I had my hair out and of course had a lot of hair loss. With my daughter I had my hair in micro braids; this was a year before I joined LHCF, now with baby #3 my SO already knows that I am getting some type of braids. During this pregnancy thinking about stretching hair maybe go to the Dominicans every other month.

I am taking pregnacare, yes i too have noticed that m hair has gotten thicker whilst pregnant.
A couple of weeks before I am due m cousin is going to put small kinky twists in my hair which i plan on keeping in for 2 months. Hopefully this will protect my hair cos I don't expect to have the energy to take care of my hair soon after giving birth.

Do you know why this is?

This question was posed to a Dr. and this was the answer..............,

I'm pregnant. Is MSM safe for me to take?

ANS: Check with your doctor. Clinical experience has shown no problems with this though.

I take One Source prenatal vitamins and an extra iron capsule every day. I heard that you shouldn't take MSM if you're trying to conceive.

I have an appointment this afternoon with my Dr. and I plan to ask what is/isnt okay to take in terms of additional vitamins to my prenatal.

My Prenatal is Primacare. I was taking GNC which I would like to continue but obviously not and the expense of my baby....

Im noticing some thickness but it may also just be that Im 5 weeks post relaxer when my hair generally thickens due to new growth....

I plan on getting kinky twists put in too, and will probably wear them (provided I can learn to do them myself) for the whole time I'm breastfeeding the twinkies and getting rid of my baby-fat (and pre-baby-fat:lachen:)

You have to take the same vitamins while BF that you took while pregnant. You want to especially stay on the Expecta too.

However, there are some additional medicines you can take while BF.

Do you know why this is?

This question was posed to a Dr. and this was the answer..............,

I'm pregnant. Is MSM safe for me to take?

ANS: Check with your doctor. Clinical experience has shown no problems with this though.

When I was pregnant I did some research that said, not to take MSM b/c it rids the body of toxins and while pregnant you don't know how the toxin build up (that you body would be trying to release) will affect the baby or placenta. Also, my doctor say no.

OK thanks.

When I was pregnant I did some research that said, not to take MSM b/c it rids the body of toxins and while pregnant you don't know how the toxin build up (that you body would be trying to release) will affect the baby or placenta. Also, my doctor say no.

Thanks I wasn't to sure if I could add biotin to my prenatal vits. while BF. This will be my 3rd time breastfeeding but it is a new experience each time.

You have to take the same vitamins while BF that you took while pregnant. You want to especially stay on the Expecta too.

However, there are some additional medicines you can take while BF.

Back