Pregnancy and Relaxers?

Vanessa22

Can you get relaxers while you're pregnant. I heard somewhere (probably from my mom), that it wasn't safe. Did any of you ladies try this and what were the results, if any. I'm not pregnant...just curious!
lachen70.gif

LOL.. I relax my hair when I'm pregnant and my kids turned out just fine.. so far..
lachen70.gif
Seriously, it's fine.. I got my hair highlighted when I was preggo too.. so I was doing both..

The only reason not to do it is cause a woman hair often changes when pregnant, so there is no guarantee as to how it'll turn out...one of my girlfrieds tried to colour her hair when prego and ended up looking like a knocked up Rainbow Brite. The chemical's wont harm the fetus...I've been told this by several stylist and OBGYN's. Think about it, if relaxer chemicals were that harmful, their would be enough trace amounts of it in your body to harm the baby at conception.

[ QUOTE ]
Cat_Eyed_Cutie said:
The only reason not to do it is cause a woman hair often changes when pregnant, so there is no guarantee as to how it'll turn out...one of my girlfrieds tried to colour her hair when prego and ended up looking like a knocked up Rainbow Brite. The chemical's wont harm the fetus...I've been told this by several stylist and OBGYN's. Think about it, if relaxer chemicals were that harmful, their would be enough trace amounts of it in your body to harm the baby at conception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that explains why my usual red rinse turned out like a light brown. I thought that my stylist may have made a mistake with the color.

And my relaxer didn't take when I was pregnant. I was not looking for wash and wear hair. I don't even think it was processed to that extent. And since I knew diddly about taking care of my hair all those years ago, my hair looked a hot mess.

I noticed so many changes with my hair during my 2nd month of pregnancy. I have less natural curl in my hair, which has made combing after washing easier (less tangling), but I really like my curl.

I think that I'm going to be a "hot mess" after the baby is born...can't even imagine having time to do my hair. Thankfully, I let it grow out enough to put in a ponytail.

My daughter's one now and 99.9% of the time it is in a ponytail, my daughter like to pull it waaay to much! You should see her face when she sees me with it out...she gets more excited than I do, lol. I had a straw set or cornrows thru most of my pregnancy, and after she was born I had cornrows all summer. My hair grew like a weed, and all I had to do was wash it every week.

I would wait until after the 12 week mark. When I was preg. I waited until 12wk/3mo. That is the time when the fetus is most susceptible to problems/fragile. But it is OK to relax during preg. Not to do it is only an old wives tale.

I got a perm in my first trimester which is the most succeptible time for baby growth. however, listening to others I was so afraid and tried to wash and wear my hair for the remainder. Since I was not a member of this board at the time and knew squat about hair, I experienced breakage and dryness. But in the end my daughter turned out just fine.

Back