PreCondition?

CoCoEspresso

Ever since my touch-up, I have been dealing with dryness. I have seen so many ladies (relaxed and natural) rave about cowashing, so I tried it last night. I "prepooed" with LeKair Cholesterol and ORS mayo and (trying to use it up) my castor/ coconut oil mix for about an hour. Then I cowashed with V05 Strawberries and Cream conditioner, deep conditioned with Pantene BD Mask and rollerset. My hair does feel softer and one of my coworkers just commented on how soft it feels. However, it still feels dry to me. Then again, I didn't put any products on my hair after I came from under the dryer because I wanted to wear it down without that heavy feeling. I just wanted to know is it necessary to precondition? I know that many prepoo to combat the harsh effects of shampoo, but what if you aren't using shampoo? I prepoo with a light protein condition before every wash so that I can strengthen my hair.

CoCoEspresso said:
Ever since my touch-up, I have been dealing with dryness. I have seen so many ladies (relaxed and natural) rave about cowashing, so I tried it last night. I "prepooed" with LeKair Cholesterol and ORS mayo and (trying to use it up) my castor/ coconut oil mix for about an hour. Then I cowashed with V05 Strawberries and Cream conditioner, deep conditioned with Pantene BD Mask and rollerset. My hair does feel softer and one of my coworkers just commented on how soft it feels. However, it still feels dry to me. Then again, I didn't put any products on my hair after I came from under the dryer because I wanted to wear it down without that heavy feeling. I just wanted to know is it necessary to precondition? I know that many prepoo to combat the harsh effects of shampoo, but what if you aren't using shampoo? I prepoo with a light protein condition before every wash so that I can strengthen my hair.

IMO, you don't need to prepoo, especially if you don't use a sulfate-based shampoo. The sulfates are the reason some shampoos are drying to the hair. If you don't use shampoo at all, that's even less of a reason to prepoo. If it makes your hair feel better, then do it, but it's not a necessity.

Also, I sometimes put conditioner on dry hair, let it sit, then wash it out (no shampoo). I do this as a "cowash" when I have stuff to do. I even work out with the conditioner on my hair! I feel like it penetrates better this way, as opposed to just using the conditioner in the shower. I also put deep conditioners on dry hair, let sit (with heat sometimes), then shampoo. No "traditional" DC after the shampoo.

It's all about experimenting with what works on your hair.:)

Back