Pre-Wedding planning

Lucia

The rise of the single bridezilla: Meet the women planning their weddings BEFORE they're even engaged
By TAMARA ABRAHAM
Last updated at 11:07 PM on 24th January 2012
Comments (34)

Many women will admit that they have been dreaming of the perfect fairytale wedding since they were little girls.
But some, it seems, are so enamoured by the idea, they are not letting a little thing like a fiance get in the way of planning their big day.
Branded the 'single bridezillas', there is a new breed of bride-to-be who are organising their weddings before they have even got engaged.

No ring? No problem: Kat Richter, 26, has every last detail of her wedding planned - despite the fact that she is not even engaged
The lack of a groom has not prevented them from choosing dresses, venues, flowers and even invitations before their big day.
Kat Richter, 26, from Philadelphia, has only been dating her current beau, Ricardo, for a month - but her wedding plans are already well advanced.

More...
'A Vanderfabulous wedding!' The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills bow out on a high after the tragedy of Russell Armstrong's suicide
Not only does she have two gowns hanging in her closet, she has planned her bouquet, bridesmaids' looks and the reception right down to the music.
She told Good Morning America: 'I could see where it could be scary. I don't run around showing people all of the things that I have collected.'

Prepared: Miss Richter already has two gowns - one was her grandmother's wedding dress from the Forties (left), the other was a $12 thrift store find (right)
She hasn't exactly been blowing a bridezilla-style budget though. Her plans are limited to a scrapbook of ideas, and as for her dresses, one was her grandmother's wedding gown from the Forties, the other was a $12 thrift store find.
On those who might judge her obsession, Miss Richter added: 'I'm going to have the last laugh when I save a lot of money and still have a fabulous wedding.'
She is not alone in her premature wedding planning. Sarah Bush, 23, from Nashville, Tennessee, knows what every detail will look like, thanks to a series of online mood boards.

Getting organised: Sarah Bush, 23, has been planning her wedding using online mood boards - even though her boyfriend is still yet to propose
Miss Bush, who has been dating boyfriend Travis Archer for two years, is yet to be given a diamond ring, but regardless of that fact, has even designed her invitations.
She revealed: 'I've been planning my wedding since I was old enough to know what weddings were. I had Barbie and Ken married over and over and over again.'
For her friends, this overzealous forward-planning is a source of humour.

A step too far? Miss Bush has even designed her wedding invitations
'My friends joke with me all the time, saying, "So you can get married like a month after you get engaged, right?" and I'm like, yeah, probably,' she admitted.
But these women are careful to add that they are not naively planning weddings for the sake of it - something Kris Humphries famously accused Kim Kardashian of doing.
Miss Richter explained: 'I've made myself a promise that for every hour I spend wedding planning, that I'm going to spend an equal amount of time working towards the marriage.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ings-BEFORE-theyre-engaged.html#ixzz1kRtPuUwn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-planning-weddings-BEFORE-theyre-engaged.html

++++++
Actually this is an old concept it's called a trousseu and some 3rd world countries still keep this tradition today especially French colonies.

rous·seau, n. [French, from Old French, diminutive of trousse, bundle. See truss.] The possessions, such as clothing and linens, that a bride assembles for her marriage.

Throughout history, single young women all over the world have prepared for their change in marital status by accumulating a trousseau. A traditional trousseau -- stored in a hope chest -- included bridal accessories, jewelry, lingerie, toiletries and makeup, plus bed linens and bath towels for her new home.

From Victorian times till today, the trousseau also has consisted of brand-new outfits to see a woman through her wedding, honeymoon, and newlywed days.

Oftentimes the garments in a trousseau were hand-sewn by a a mother, aunt, grandmother, or the girl herself, if skilled with a needle. Wealthier families procured the skills of a professional seamstress to outfit the bride-to-be.

VICTORIAN TROUSSEAUS

Elaborate trousseaus were a sign of wealth and social standing during the Victorian era:

"The society woman must have one or two velvet dresses which cannot cost less than $500 each. She must possess thousands of dollars worth of laces, in the shape of flounces, to loop up over the skirts of dresses... Walking dresses cost from $50 to $300; ball dresses are frequently imported from Paris at a cost of from $500 to $1,000... There must be traveling dresses in black silk, in pongee, in pique, that range in price from $75 to $175... Evening robes in Swiss muslin, robes in linen for the garden and croquet, dresses for horse races and yacht races, dresses for breakfast and for dinner, dresses for receptions and parties..." from "Lights and Shadows of New York" by James McCabe, 1872.

"A visiting and reception dress was of maroon velvet, trimmed with wide bands of cocks' feathers of the same shade. A second rich costume was of black brocaded silk and plain silk. ." -- from "Miss Vanderbilt's Trousseau," Harper's Bazar, December 15, 1877

THE TROUSSEAU IN LITERATURE

Literature carries many references to the trousseau. Symbolic of transition, a family's financial status, domestic arts, leaving home, and virginity, trousseaus are mentioned in the works of Gustave Flaubert, Anton Chekhov, and Edith Wharton. Some excerpts:

"Mademoiselle Rouault was busy with her trousseau. Part of it was ordered from Rouen; her night-dresses and night-caps she made herself, from patterns lent her by friends." -- from Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert

"We had a fair here at Ascension," said the mother; "we always buy materials at the fair, and then it keeps us busy with sewing till the next year's fair comes around again. We never put things out to be made. My husband's pay is not very ample, and we are not able to permit ourselves luxuries. So we have to make up everything ourselves."

"But who will ever wear such a number of things? There are only two of you?"

"Oh... as though we were thinking of wearing them! They are not to be worn; they are for the trousseau!"

"Ah, mamam,what are you saying?" said the daughter, and she crimsoned again. "Our visitor might suppose it was true. I don't intend to be married. Never!"

She said this, but at the very word "married" her eyes glowed. -- "The Trousseau," by Anton Chekhov

TROUSSEAUS TODAY

While beautiful cedar hope chests are still manufactured and sold, many who purchase this furniture item simply use it for everyday storage. Nonetheless, a woman preparing for a wedding, honeymoon, and new life certainly needs new things (as well as a place to store them).

For most brides, gifts for the home accumulate quickly at engagement, shower, and wedding parties, thanks to the generosity of friends and family. Cash gifts and items taken from one's former home help to fill in the balance.

So what's left to purchase for the modern trousseau? New clothes, vacation wear, sports gear, luggage.

What belongs in your own trousseau? Things that make sense for your lifestyle, and things that you love. Someone who wears austere all black is going to feel self-conscious in loud, frilly holiday wear. So select resort wear in subdued neutrals, if that's your style. Remember, shopping for a trousseau shouldn't calll for an image makeover; you're just collecting some new things you probably need anyway.

On the wedding night, if you normally sleep in a T-shirt or the altogether, you may feel silly encumbered in a long, flowing negligee. Yet a short, sexy, white-satin chemise can certainly help you feel like a bride on that special night. And that's one instance when the groom will likely appreciate your new trousseau, too.

http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/shopping/a/bridaltrousseau.htm

Interesting what an overwhelmingly mocking tone this "report" has...aren't many women handed down family dresses? And what woman of marriageable age has no idea who her bridesmaids (i.e. her closest friends/family) will be until a proposal?

I guess I'm a raging nutcase for planning to get married in the church I grew up in, lol.

Interesting what an overwhelmingly mocking tone this "report" has...aren't many women handed down family dresses? And what woman of marriageable age has no idea who her bridesmaids (i.e. her closest friends/family) will be until a proposal?

I guess I'm a raging nutcase for planning to get married in the church I grew up in, lol.

Yes I found it condescending as well, I think they're trying to paint them in a light to discourage this kind of pre-planning. I don't see anything wrong with it tons of women have dresses from grandma or great grandma etc... in storage. It's marketing they're not making sales at the bridal shops like they used to cause eveyone hip to sales and vintage 2nd hand ebay etc...

^^ This is true.

What gets me is the way men are being urged to avoid marriage-minded women--even by other women. Don't get me wrong; I'm not at all condoning marrying for the sake of marriage (a la the former Mrs. Humphries :look:), nor do I think wedding planning should overwhelm or replace serious, practical considerations for the actual marriage.

However, there were comments criticizing women for finding out if a man is looking for marriage at the onset of the relationship. Umm...so I'm supposed to sit around indefinitely waiting on a man who's expressed no interest in pursuing the same level of commitment as I am...lying in wait while catering to his every whim. Riiiiight.

Women being forthright and honest with themselves about their own desires will always be shunned, it seems--especially if it's at the expense of men being able to benefit from our kowtowing to them in hopes they will one day throw us a bone, if we only accommodate them and do everything in our power not to scare them away. :rolleyes: Empowering ourselves to realize our dreams--whatever they may be--rather than relinquishing that power to someone who can wield it on his time. Yeah, I bet that is scary.

[/soapbox] On topic, I never thought about the time that could be saved re: the actual wedding planning. I don't know that I'd do everything these ladies have done (e.g. choosing invitations and music) that far in advance, as I would like hubby-to-be to be included in the planning of the things that represent the both of us as he desires.

However, already having my own collection of the things I'll be using personally (like jewelry or vacation necessities; I do agree with the woman in the video who recommended against buying gowns in advance in the event that tastes, styles, and/or sizes change) can save us both money and time. I don't know too many men who would mind entering into their marriage without wedding day debt, lol. This has me thinking about getting started on this. :scratchch

Last edited:
Before I got engaged, I admit I collected some things that I liked that I could use at my wedding. Most of it is stuff I can use in my house AND it was on clearance.

For instance I got all my jars for my candy bar/dessert table as they were on clearance for 70% off.

I also got the day of/emergency/thank you bags for my bridesmaids. Eventually I'll have them monogramed.

A few other arts and crafts things I've picked up along the way.

I probably wouldn't have even thought to get any of it until I started helping my sister plan her wedding. After that I had wedding fever.

I do know a girl who got her dress before she was engaged. We saw it in a magazine and she fell in love with it. She didn't get married until 2.5 years later but she wore that dress and she said she had no regrets about doing that.

I'll admit as a single gal I've done a bit of pre-planning. I know what kind of dress I want (vintage style w/lace, cap sleeves), the color theme (purple/green), the venue (outdoors at bed&breakfast or hotel, modest guest list), and the preferred seasons for it to take place (spring or fall). So when the lucky guy pops the question we'll already be halfway there. :lol:

Back