Pre-Relaxer Tips

coconow2007

Hello Ladies - please share your thoughts regarding how you prepare your hair a day before you get a relaxer.
Thanks

i oil my scalp the night before...helps prevent any burns...as it protects the scalp by creating an extra layer.

When my stylist does my relaxer I just make sure to wear my hair down many days before. Pin ups, pony tails and constant brushing and combing to get it in those styles pull on my scalp. She bases my hair well herself.

If I'm doing my own relaxer, I also wear my hair down many days before. I base my scalp right before application, part my hair in quarter sections and lightly stroke conditioner on my strands (think 4 ponytails) to protect them from any relaxer that may get on it.

That's it for me.

I oil my scalp with castor oil up to 3 nights before my relaxer. This creates a good barrier fro your scalp against any burns from the relaxer. :)

I apply conditioner to previously relaxed hair, I like cholestrals like silk elements, or Dark and lovely (used once in a coloring kit, this stuff is nice!! but I cant find it anymore:perplexed)... dont scratch or wash hair for at least 2 days... I dont use a base with my relaxer, just around my edges... umm and detangle well before application so ur not detangeling while u apply relaxer it slows you up.. good luck

Warning, extra girl is about to post.:lol:

I am very extra when it comes to relaxing so some of this may defy my whole "keep it simple clause.":lol: But it works, so I am not gonna quit trying.

1. I base my scalp with a vaseline based product
2. Then I oil it with oil
3. Add conditioner to my previous relaxed strands and then I seal that with vaseline too.
4. After relaxing I deep condition like hell too.

Thanks I followed ur lead my stylist was like why do u have all this oil on ur hair - but it definetly helped - no burns

Welcome to the board sweetie;) I wash my hair 3-4 days before. Detangle w/ Wave Nouveau, rollerset then flat iron the roots. I dont work out during the next few days or do anything thats going to make my NG revert. This gets its straight so my stylist doesnt have a lot tangles to comb thru and so Im not losing a lot of hair. I rub conditioner and castor oil on my hair before I go see her and while there she bases my scalp with something:confused: Hope that helps

LocksOfLuV said:
Warning, extra girl is about to post.:lol:

I am very extra when it comes to relaxing so some of this may defy my whole "keep it simple clause.":lol: But it works, so I am not gonna quit trying.

1. I base my scalp with a vaseline based product
2. Then I oil it with oil
3. Add conditioner to my previous relaxed strands and then I seal that with vaseline too.
4. After relaxing I deep condition like hell too.

I'm soooooo trying this tomorrow when I relax! What oil do you use in #2?

TBeBe said:
I'm soooooo trying this tomorrow when I relax! What oil do you use in #2?

I use that doo gro oil. I only bought it because it comes with a nozzle tip and it smells like pineapple. This oil right here:
321145.jpg

I oil my scalp and new growth with WGO and comb through with a medium-tooth comb. That's pretty much it.

NATBTY said:
What is SAA?
Silk Amino Acids.

Before a relaxer I've been coating my previously relaxed hair with oil, like jojoba or sweet almond. Next time I'm going to coat with porosity corrector & conditioner (I have the Creme of Nature one) to protect the pH of my hair. My former stylist based my scalp (she used Pro Styl - the Clear Ice, I think), and I'll make sure my new stylist does the same.

LocksOfLuv, thanks so much for posting your pre-relaxer regimen! I'm adding that to my hair care binder. I didn't get a chance to get the DooGro - I used some jojoba instead.

Taking those steps to double-protect my scalp AND already relaxed hair really made a difference especially at the line of demarcation! The extra conditioning also helped afterward. My hair is happy and I just had to :user: and thank you!

And welcome, coconow2007!!! :wave:

Back