Pre-relaxer questions....

aliceo

So, grad ball is on Saturday :grin:, and I am having my relaxer that morning.

I will be using ORS lye for fine/normal hair for the first time and I have some questions...

I looked at the self-relaxer threads and it said to use a protein reconstructor after washing out the relaxer, but BEFORE using the neutralizing shampoo.
I picked up some Joico K-pac deep penetrating reconstructor (ph 4.5-5) for this purpose. (I also have nexxus emergencee)
images.php

But, I wanted to know
1) how long do I leave this on?
2) Do I get under the dryer with a cap on?
3)I'm using the relaxer, then the protien, then the neutralizing shampoo - THEN WHAT?? I have some Pantene R&N conditioning mask, motions CPR conditioner (in the tub) and olive oil replenishing pak. Which is better post realxer?

One last question - I would like to put in some colour. I have Clairol beautiful collection semi-permanent. Is this safe on the same day as the relaxer? It doesn't have ammonia.
10983.jpg

Please help. I don't want to do anything without your advice.

TIA.

I've been applying Aphogee 2 Min. AFTER shampooing (not BEFORE)....Oops!:blush:
Does it really make that big a difference though?

Last edited:
After rinsing the relaxer thoroughly from my hair, I apply Motions Protein Reconstructor for 5 minutes, then rinse.

No, I do not use a dryer or cap; I just let my hair hang down my back. I try to be gentle and not manipulate too much because the hair has not been completely neutralized yet.

3)I'm using the relaxer, then the protien, then the neutralizing shampoo - THEN WHAT?? I have some Pantene R&N conditioning mask, motions CPR conditioner (in the tub) and olive oil replenishing pak. Which is better post realxer? One last question - I would like to put in some colour. I have Clairol beautiful collection semi-permanent. Is this safe on the same day as the relaxer? It doesn't have ammonia.
After rinsing the protein reconstructor, I neutralize twice (for 5 minutes each). Then, I apply the semi-permanent color and cover with a plastic cap for about 25 minutes; I don't use a dryer. I use KISS Express in Black but have used Clairol Beautiful in the past, on the same day as relaxer, with no problems. After rinsing the color, I DC with a moisturizing conditioner (I use Motions Moisture Plus). I'm not familiar with the Pantene and Olive Oil products that you name, but I know that CPR is a protein treatment, and I advise against using any more protein at this stage.

Hope this helps and that your relaxer goes well.
icon7.gif

I've been applying Aphogee 2 Min. AFTER shampooing (not BEFORE)....Oops!:blush:
Does it really make that big a difference though?

Yes, it does for me. My hair looks and feels fuller since adding this step. It doesn't have that fresh-relaxer-limp-hair look anymore.

Cool! Thanks a lot. For the final conditioning step, I think I will use the Pantene - I don't think that has protein.

Thanks for the help ladies. :)

I did this with my last relaxer (just found out about this step). I used Ion protein reconstructor for 5 mins. My hair did not have that just relaxed look.

After rinsing the relaxer thoroughly from my hair, I apply Motions Protein Reconstructor for 5 minutes, then rinse.

No, I do not use a dryer or cap; I just let my hair hang down my back. I try to be gentle and not manipulate too much because the hair has not been completely neutralized yet.

3)I'm using the relaxer, then the protien, then the neutralizing shampoo - THEN WHAT?? I have some Pantene R&N conditioning mask, motions CPR conditioner (in the tub) and olive oil replenishing pak. Which is better post realxer? One last question - I would like to put in some colour. I have Clairol beautiful collection semi-permanent. Is this safe on the same day as the relaxer? It doesn't have ammonia.
After rinsing the protein reconstructor, I neutralize twice (for 5 minutes each). Then, I apply the semi-permanent color and cover with a plastic cap for about 25 minutes; I don't use a dryer. I use KISS Express in Black but have used Clairol Beautiful in the past, on the same day as relaxer, with no problems. After rinsing the color, I DC with a moisturizing conditioner (I use Motions Moisture Plus). I'm not familiar with the Pantene and Olive Oil products that you name, but I know that CPR is a protein treatment, and I advise against using any more protein at this stage.

Hope this helps and that your relaxer goes well.
icon7.gif

I relaxed and put a rinse in my hair last night. Your info was very helpful. :grin:

I did the protein step too..after i rinsed out the relaxer but before I neutralized. I kept it on for 5 minutes then neutralized 3 times the 4th time I let the neutralizer sit on my hair 5-10 minutes then rinsed out. Then I DC with a moisturizing conditioner. My hair came out fuller and thicker. :yep:

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Porosity Control is sold in stores or just on-line?
I'm also relaxing tomm. and would like to use this before I neutralize.

Back