Pre Poo'ing vs Deep Con. vs Co-washing?

Which of these 3 do you get Optimal Results?

• Pre 'pooing

Votes: 94 12.3%
  • Deep Conditioning

Votes: 417 54.7%
  • Co-Washing

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 120 15.7%

• Total voters
I pre-poo and deep cond. I dont CW cause I heat style my hair and I only wanna do that once a week. BY that time, I need shampoo:lol:

MizaniMami said:
I do all three. I love each equally though. But I marked DC because I think this is essential is my routine. The others I can get away without doing.

But co-washing makes my hair so soft and so does pre-pooing.

ITA, but I picked co-washing just because I do more often than the others.

Since I'm working out so much I don't have time to pre-poo, I con wash after every workout and shampoo and DC once per week. That seems to be working magic. This is all very new for me!

Even though I do all three almost everyday, I picked pre-pooing because I've been doing it the longest and most consistently.

Pre-poo with EVOO and/or ORS Mayonnaise (when needing extra moisture) and deep condition after every weekly wash (15 min. to 1 hour) depending on my time allowance. Wish I had the time to do CW’s during the week, but what I’m doing now keeps my hair in good condition. Keeping it simple with no complaints. For me, the less manipulation, the better.

since I started this journey, I've tried a version of every method and I concluded that I really need to look at the condition of my hair on wash day. Last week my hair was lacking moisture so I decided to pre-poo w/ blended avacado and then proceed w/ my moisturizing poos and conditioner. My hair turned out fabulous. There are times when my hair seemingly lacks protein and I proceed to pre-poo w/ regular mayo mixed w/ an egg yolk and proceed w/ my poo and deep conditioner and if I'm lucky, my hair is fine and I just poo and deep condition w/ a balanced shampoo. I've learned that hair is a science. Seriously....but it's in the best condition it's ever been in since I was in college and that was years ago (I'm telling my age) but....for me it depends.

I do all 3. I've been deep conditioning since I started my hair journey but I just started pre-pooing and co-washing about 2-3 months ago.

- I love pre-pooing because it detangles my hair and makes it easier for me to wash.
- deep conditiong is a ritual I do every time I shampoo. I love it. it makes my hair feel so good. I love it :p .
- I've only done co-washes with braids on so I can't really say how it makes my hair feel but it makes the braids feel great.

To be honest i picked don't know because I just got a relaxer recently. Before that I was natural and had been wearing braids and twist most of the year. (also I really don't remember what I did before I went natural seems like it was so long ago) Although since reading everyone's comments I think that I might try Pre-pooing with either EVOO or Nexxus Keraphix or maybe even both. When I was natural I always did Co-washes everyday and my hair felt great!!

BlackCardinal said:
I do all three! :lol: I co-wash 6 days a week, and on my shampoo day I will either pre-poo or deep condition, depending on what I feel like doing. But I think con washing is the most important thing I do :yep:

ITA. This is what I do and my hair has been feeling great. Co-washing is the greatest thing in the world.

Pre-poo!!! This, my dear, has saved me from ruining my stretches. Coconut oil, evoo, and any condish applied to roots running away from you, will have you singing to the high heaven!!!

DC works really well also!!

I voted pree-poo :lol:

sunshyne_krissy said:

Once a week: Mix half bottle of VO5 Passion Fruit Smoothie Cond. w/ too med. squirts of Pantene R&N Cond. 1 squirts of NTM, 2 TBSP. honey, and 2 cap fulls of castor oil, one squirt of jojoba oil, 2 caps of EVOO, and two small squirts of NExuss Humectress Cond. mix until my arm hurts.. Add two TSP. of MSM warmed and mixed in 1/4c. spring water and 20 drops of Eucaliptus Oil. Then its ready! Smoothe/pour over wet braids in the shower and squeeze/mush it in roll up into a mushy bun on top of my head (then i shower while its workin its magic) then bucket large amounts of water over it to rinse. The end results in extra soft hair and fresh braids.

Then I spray with my homemade MTG concoction to seal in the moisture. :D

please...what is:
NTM
MSM
and
MTG?

thanks a bunch!

BlackCardinal said:
I do all three! :lol: I co-wash 6 days a week, and on my shampoo day I will either pre-poo or deep condition, depending on what I feel like doing. But I think con washing is the most important thing I do :yep:

I totally agree cowash about 3 or 4 days a week and shampoo/conditioner o sundays and will either prepoo or deep condition. But CO WASH is the BEST

angelita842002 said:
I totally agree cowash about 3 or 4 days a week and shampoo/conditioner o sundays and will either prepoo or deep condition. But CO WASH is the BEST
Me too! I deep condition and pre-poo, and I've gotten some really great results so far.

pre-pooing never did much for me. i co-wash my hair 5-6 days a week and have made excellent progress since doing so. plus it leaves my hair moisturized all day long and keeps my strands shiney (without all the product) and strong. i always deep condition after a shampoo for about an hour or 2 without heat. without co-wash i think my natural hair would be brittle and coarse

(by the way- i haven't had any split ends since co-washing!)

Mon-Sat
1. CW (vatika,suave,HE)
2. Check hair to see if protein (MNT) or moisturizing (b&b) conditioner needed
3. Seal hair with oil (jojoba,castor or mtg) and massage scalp with WGO or mtg/jojoba

I work out a lot so I have to wash out the sweat.

Sun afternoon - prepoo (amla,coconut,castor,mtg...) w/cap

Sunday night - Clarify,Henna, wash (CON),DC(NTM mask/amla)

my best is after abt 5 days my hair is grime....

i slather on cheapy conditioner, on dry hair, and do it for 2 days, and bun....

day 3 i wash, my hair is baby soft....

i dont know when the last time i deep conditioned (w/heat)

i always have to do a proteint tx, usually 2 eggs, after...

because of the increase in my hairs porosity, after 2 days in CON (increased elasticity aka softer hair breaks easier)

then i do a 5 min deep CON and rinse

i think alot of ppl have learned more on these boards than stylist, as far as taking care of your own hair, and applying what works for you

go lhcf:)

Actually pre-pooing with ApHogee has worked really really well for me. I think I get better results with that than deep conditioning most times.

Chayil

i pre-poo and DC, haven't tried co washes yet, but i will try to see what kind of results i get...the pre-poo, DC routine works great for me

I get good results from both pre-pooing and deep conditioning. It's hard to choose which gives the best results so I voted 'not sure'.

Deep conditioning all the way! Weekly deep conditioning with heat has really improved my hair. I thought I had my regimen down but this was the missing piece.

from36to38 said:
please...what is:
NTM
MSM
and
MTG?

thanks a bunch!
I'm new here too and the only thing I can figure out is MTG which is Main Tail Grow (I think):confused: . NTM & MSM i haven't figured out yet:ohwell: . Can you ladies fill us in please.

Back