Pre-Pooing for Clarifying Shampoo

hnntrr

Hy Guys, So I looked on the board for this and i found a really old thread but it didn't have the information I needed.

Normally I dont shampoo my hair, I just do a co wash 3 times a week. However I recently went swimming and it jacked my hair up (set me back from all the work Ive been doing the past month), and I heard that you should chelate/clarify at least once a month.

Now I am trying to figure out what is the best option for pre-pooing for a clarifying shampoo. I bought Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo Two.

I saw a few people mentioning oil rinses ( I only have EVOO and Canola oil at my disposal right now) I also heard of mixing conditioner and oil (I have several conditioners I can use).

I dont know what would be the best option for my hair...doing an EVOO or mixing it in conditioner? My stash is pretty small since I am just starting my hair journey so I have no idea where to start D:.

TBH I don't understand the point in prepooing before clarifying. You clarify to remove buildup. Why add more product if you're trying to remove old product in the first place

I prepoo (chicoros mix)before i clarify. I dont know if my hair benefits but i just prepoo before every type of wash out of habit. On a side note OP, u scared me with swimming. Is chlorine that damaging to our hair? Im taking swim lessons this spring and i dont want any setbacks.

Supposedly is it is. Its dries the hair out like A LOT. My hair was really conditioned before I got in but it was really dry and straw-y when I got out.

My hair is already prone to dryness, so the cholorine did NOT help.

I watched this video and it gave me a lot of info on keeping your hair moisturized for swimming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4GYbl-Dy_M

Last edited:
I do all my DC's on dry/dirty hair and when I'm going to do a clarifying wash I do an intense DC before hand and barely rinse it out before applying the shampoo to my scalp only. The clarifying poo still works very well at leaving my hair feeling less than luscious so I'm confident that it did it's job.

I prepoo with evco before all wash sessions to include clarifying. I choose evco because it prevents hygral fatigue. I like prepooing to ensure my hair doesn't gets stripped down too much when clarifying and to keep tangles to a minimum.

Pre-Poo and Clarifying Shampoo results.

So I still have little bits of banana in my hair I think ahahahaha but otherwise it left my hair feeling soft…but strong (since I out both a moisturizer AND a protein AND a oil, in the mixture).

I rinsed it out a little but I didnt rinse it out too much, so then when i put the shampoo in I only applied it to my roots and massaged it in then I lightly went over the ends. I only shampoo’d once and that seemed to be enough.

I then went over it with organix hydrating tea tree oil conditioner and left it on while I showered (about 4 mins?).

My hair feels like it got a lot of its moisture back but above all it feels really clean. So much so that it was squeaking really loudly when I rubbed my fingers over some of it. It seems to have liked it, but we will see how it feels in the morning. So I did the cantu shea butter leave in, nexus leave in, paul mitchell heat seal (since I will be flat ironing my bangs) and wet wrapped it. Planning on bunning all weekend until my major wash day.

So I dont know if the squeaky ness is a good thing? I havnt shampoo'ed my hair in so long I dont know what to make of it. But hopefully tht means its clean. It does feel soft and fluffy though...so i dont know

Last edited:
Back