Pre-natal vitamins?

PanamasOwn

A few of my friends have been on pre-natal vitamins for a while. They take one every other day, but they are not preggo and not trying to be. I have seen a drastic change in their hair, I mean in length, texture, and thickness. Like in a manner of three months! I was wondering what you guys thought of this? Is taking pre-natals while not preggo dangerous? Does it actually help, or does it depend on each person?

I have been taking them for over 7 months and it's been great!

I take New Chapter Organics Perfect Pre-natal vitamins.

I'm not pregnant nor am I trying to be.:)

Prenatal vitamins can safely be taken by anyone. :yep: They are really no different from any other one-a-day vitamin, and they are basically just to supplement a pregnant woman's diet for anything she's missing. Nothing special. Just compare the back labels, you'll see they are pretty much the same as other supplements.:)

If your friends were lacking certain vitamins and minerals in their regular diets, then supplementing with a one-day like a prenatal vitamin would definitely benefit their hair. Any differences would be present in their new growth, or hair as it is freshly coming in though. Hair is dead, so sudden changes in diet do not affect the overall appearance of the hair or the hair down the shaft. Because of this, the results of vitamin taking may take several months to really be seen. There is no harm in it, though!

Agreeing with Sistaslick. My doctor had me on pre-natal vitamins when I was not even thinking about geting pregnant or having children. It was the furthest thing from my mine. That was back in 2002 and in the last part of 2002 and almost all of 2003 my hair was so healthy---It was 2004 when I stopped taking my pre-natals and was going every week to a hairdresser that my hair started to go down hill.

I had a baby in January and I still have another prescription for an additional 12 months waiting to be filled for even more pre-natal vitamins. Matter of fact I was looking for it this morning.

There are many pre-natal vitamins that can be purchased over the counter. In the past I have purchased GNC Pre-natal vitamins.

Sistaslick said:
Prenatal vitamins can safely be taken by anyone. :yep: They are really no different from any other one-a-day vitamin, and they are basically just to supplement a pregnant woman's diet for anything she's missing. Nothing special. Just compare the back labels, you'll see they are pretty much the same as other supplements.:)

If your friends were lacking certain vitamins and minerals in their regular diets, then supplementing with a one-day like a prenatal vitamin would definitely benefit their hair. Any differences would be present in their new growth, or hair as it is freshly coming in though. Hair is dead, so sudden changes in diet do not affect the overall appearance of the hair or the hair down the shaft. Because of this, the results of vitamin taking may take several months to really be seen. There is no harm in it, though!
I also second Sistaslicks reply. However, for me I seen a quick change in hair texture and growth/ less loss a week after my drink regimen (below). Also to add, if your body doesn't need the extra vitamins from prenatal, your body will just expel it via urine.

If you want to take supplements solely for the purpose of hair growth, texture, etc. I posted a thread called SEVEN HAIR WONDERS a few weeks back which outlines the essential vitamins that actually help the hair, promote growth and prevent loss. There is also a drink you can make and consume on a daily basis as an alternative to the pill form supplements. Coming from EXPERIENCE with this drink alone I have seen huge improvements. I wouldn't recommend something I haven't tried or currently taking myself. I am here to help.

Here is the link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=130624

I would say try this drink for a week or two and give us an update. Also, it really is essential to add EFA's (essential fatty acids to your diet via food like salmon, tuna or supplement pill form, as it is good for the hair).

So far I have found that sound long lasting hair improvement comes only through internal measures (healthy diet, water, vitamin supplements) and external quick fixes are just that. Also, less is more; you don't need to overkill on anything (vitamins, hair products, etc) to see the benefits of the product or supplement.

Also the data I provided in the link is empirical data (meaning clinically tested and the information is provided via medical professionals)

Back