Praying with your legs...

Prudent1

Ladies I wanted to share this excerpt from a wonderful, godly, career coach by the name of Dan Miller. I hope it will bless you as you read it with an open mind.

"I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs." -- Frederick Douglass

Okay – I referenced this quotation last week and it continues to prompt a whole lot of questions from you, our readers. People want to know what that means, and furthermore, can I find scripture to support whatever it means.

Yes, I see far too many people who are “praying” for solutions and answers – and simply living in that prayerful mode – hands folded and eyes closed, waiting on God to supernaturally give them the specific answer that will remove their challenge. So, just how does God answer our prayers?

Imagine any of these situations with me:

• You really need a job
  • You’d like a better car
  • You want to make peace with your spouse
  • Your lawn mower is broken
  • You want to have a best-selling book
  • You would like to have a college degree
  • You want to be a more effective parent
  • You must have $5,000 for a new air conditioning unit
I believe God is the providential supplier of everything we need. But I also believe that his delivery system requires our active participation – “praying with our legs.” If you need a job identify 30-40 target companies; contact them each three times and God will provide a job. If you want a best-selling book write something of value then be willing to persist through the rejection of 14 publishers as Max Lucado did with his first book (his books have now sold over 30 million copies.) – and watch God open doors. If you want a college degree explore six options for doing so that are possible even while you continue working. Block out 2 hours a day for focused study and see God allow that degree to be yours.

And can I find scripture to support faith and prayer that involve our legs? Oh yeah. My favorite is in Exodus 14:15. Moses is dealing with those whining, complaining children of
Israel who see the Egyptians coming after them in the desert. I can just see them on their knees, praying and begging God to solve their problems. And the verse says – “Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Quit praying and get the people moving! Forward, march!’” (Living Bible)

God provides food for the birds – but he doesn’t just show up and throw it in their nest. Sometimes the exercise of faith we need most may be to engage our spiritual quadriceps, stretch those hamstrings and use our gluteus maximus for something other than supporting our head while we pray.

This is profound, really, but everyone wants God to supernaturally deliver them. I suppose they will learn.....one day....but i will be praying with my legs. Thanks Prudent.

What does this mean? Is it saying you have to go out and try to achieve what you want manifested in your life? so the saying God helps those who helps themselves kind of applies here. I always thought that saying made sense but other Christians said it was not true. Well I have tried to apply my self to finding a mate and that has not happened, lol. so I don't know if this applies to every case.

What does this mean? Is it saying you have to go out and try to achieve what you want manifested in your life? so the saying God helps those who helps themselves kind of applies here. I always thought that saying made sense but other Christians said it was not true. Well I have tried to apply my self to finding a mate and that has not happened, lol. so I don't know if this applies to every case.

Let the infallible word of God be your final answer not the things other Christians are saying. Others may mean well but be wrong as the proverbial 2 left shoes. Don't go out and try to achieve in the sense that you think you can force something but rather in the spirit of I am going to be well prepared for 'x' situation.
Luke 14:28-30
28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'
It means that while God is all powerful and all knowing he has given us instructions on how to wait well. It means having a proper attitude and staying actively involved in life- really living while we wait for God to manifest things in our lives. It means not being a wallflower in life. The saying does apply here.:yep: So does the biblical principle of faith w/o works being dead. As a matter of fact, all of God's promises can be rendered null and void by things like unconfessed sin, bitterness, wrong thinking, fear, laziness, fornication,bad attitudes, doubt, etc. IOW, a life lived out of balance with what His will is. Of course, I don't know what you mean when you say you have applied yourself to finding a mate but I would encourage you to evaluate if you have applied yourself and are truly ready for a mate. You may have. This is purely rhetorical. For example, if you decide you want to go back to school, you can't just show up at the university of your choice and say, "Here I am!" and have a seat in some random class. There is a lengthy preparation process involved. So too there is a preparation process involved in getting ready for a godly marriage. I'm not saying you haven't been preparing. I am saying that marriages are sacred to God. They are the best example given to humans of how he feels about his church. When you have a marital facade, it is is disaster all the way around. He does not want you to ever feel that type of pain and disappointment.:nono: This is just general food for thought. A few years ago after my divorce, I decided I was ready for a serious relationship again. I was not.:nono: What I was was and emotional time bomb waiting to explode. If God had given me the "man of my dreams", I would have run him away:blush:. I am now 100 times the woman I was then (Thanks be to God).:grin: So, I'm just saying don't give up on God b/c he hasn't given up on you! Make sure you are a yielded vessel who realizes that the learning process will never end. Don't give up! Put your emphasis on enjoying life and getting ready. Search some of Bunny77's comments in this forum. She appears to have been very balanced in her desire for/ approach to finding a spouse and is getting married in 4 months or so. It wasn't overnight but she got at it. :bighug:

Let the infallible word of God be your final answer not the things other Christians are saying. Others may mean well but be wrong as the proverbial 2 left shoes. Don't go out and try to achieve in the sense that you think you can force something but rather in the spirit of I am going to be well prepared for 'x' situation.
Luke 14:28-30
28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'
It means that while God is all powerful and all knowing he has given us instructions on how to wait well. It means having a proper attitude and staying actively involved in life- really living while we wait for God to manifest things in our lives. It means not being a wallflower in life. The saying does apply here.:yep: So does the biblical principle of faith w/o works being dead. As a matter of fact, all of God's promises can be rendered null and void by things like unconfessed sin, bitterness, wrong thinking, fear, laziness, fornication,bad attitudes, doubt, etc. IOW, a life lived out of balance with what His will is. Of course, I don't know what you mean when you say you have applied yourself to finding a mate but I would encourage you to evaluate if you have applied yourself and are truly ready for a mate. You may have. This is purely rhetorical. For example, if you decide you want to go back to school, you can't just show up at the university of your choice and say, "Here I am!" and have a seat in some random class. There is a lengthy preparation process involved. So too there is a preparation process involved in getting ready for a godly marriage. I'm not saying you haven't been preparing. I am saying that marriages are sacred to God. They are the best example given to humans of how he feels about his church. When you have a marital facade, it is is disaster all the way around. He does not want you to ever feel that type of pain and disappointment.:nono: This is just general food for thought. A few years ago after my divorce, I decided I was ready for a serious relationship again. I was not.:nono: What I was was and emotional time bomb waiting to explode. If God had given me the "man of my dreams", I would have run him away:blush:. I am now 100 times the woman I was then (Thanks be to God).:grin: So, I'm just saying don't give up on God b/c he hasn't given up on you! Make sure you are a yielded vessel who realizes that the learning process will never end. Don't give up! Put your emphasis on enjoying life and getting ready. Search some of Bunny77's comments in this forum. She appears to have been very balanced in her desire for/ approach to finding a spouse and is getting married in 4 months or so. It wasn't overnight but she got at it. :bighug:

All of those scriptures have balance to them that is is hardly ever preached. This morning I was reading the scripture "He will give you the desires of your heart." But today I noticed there was a verse right below that, which explained how the desire will come to pass. It comes after you "commit thy way unto the Lord." You can't get around submitting your works to Christ. You can not will God to do anything. Instead of declaring our desires to be God's we would be better off praying the will of God, and first doing all that we can in the natural before over spiritualizing everything. Unless God had told me with absolute certainty that he will do something by spiritual means I'd better do everything I can in the natural.

ITA... lol

I had read the OP of this thread earlier today and nodded, but later today an FB friend wrote this:

"..I AM absolutely INFURIATED at those who are not getting what THEY WANT and then wagin' the INTENSE WARFARE they should be wagin' at the devil AT THOSE THAT ARE DOING EVERYTHING TO HELP GET WHAT THEY SAID THEY WANTED FROM GOD!!!...WAKE UP & STOP BEIN' A SPIRITUAIL(sic) SISSSSSSSEEEEEE! this is not a game..!"***

FAITH is a walk, so legs are needed. Timely message!

people become bitter when they do not realize this lol

Last edited:
ITA... lol

I had read the OP of this thread earlier today and nodded, but later today an FB friend wrote this:

"..I AM absolutely INFURIATED at those who are not getting what THEY WANT and then wagin' the INTENSE WARFARE they should be wagin' at the devil AT THOSE THAT ARE DOING EVERYTHING TO HELP GET WHAT THEY SAID THEY WANTED FROM GOD!!!...WAKE UP & STOP BEIN' A SPIRITUAIL(sic) SISSSSSSSEEEEEE! this is not a game..!"***

And I agree with FB friend. This is why I am working on conquering my ADHD this is why I'm in school. This is why I am learning more about YHWH's Word.

There three things I desire to be in life.

1. A Woman God, me, my family and myself can be proud of. I want to be a woman that YHWH delights in.

2. A wife. I want to be a wife to a godly black man and the mother of his children.

3. I want to be a teacher that helps students

That takes preperation.

Adonai has been leading me to pray for my husband saying: "Thank You YHWH for a husband that is a good father, a husband who mows the lawn, a husband who loves me, a husband who signs, a husband who has a stregnth and paitence concerning my disabilites." This has been intense recently.

My ADHD is a battle, a battle already won but yet still a battle. I need to conquer this so that when I'm in my major I can handle an intense load. When I'm in my career, I can operate to be the best that I can be. When I live on my own I can handle the responsibilities that come with that blessing.

My health, I'm improving my health so I can be strong enough to do whatever ministry Adonai assigns me.

I can be a teacher
Wife
Mother and I'm not struggling.

There is nothing WRONG with desiring the things of YHWH to be manifested in your life. But are you willing to count the cost of the amount of PREPERATION that its gonna take?

Faith without works is dead.

James 2:14-26

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food,
16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?
17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?
23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God.
24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

:Rose:

Faith without works is dead.

James 2:14-26

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food,
16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?
17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?
23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God.
24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

:Rose:

Pretty much what I said but scriptural! Lol. I like it :) :lachen:

Timely OP. Thanks. I know a lot of people see God as a holy Santa Claus that will give us what we wish for (pray for) especially if we've been good.

I know for me it comes down to balancing knowing when to be still and when to move. Sometimes when I want to move it's because of a lack of faith and trust like I'm making plan B-G just incase plan A with God falls through or doesn't come to fruition in a timely matter. Other times being too still to the point of complacency about a situation can be just as bad and lazy. You have to do some work so God can do his part.

I have found that God will show me when I am to do something or not and to have patience that things are in His time. You definitely need legs to run this race just like Paul told Timothy.

I am in agreement. We must hear from the Lord and do what He is speaking. Sometimes people don't want to do their part, their understanding of answered prayer is skewed. At times God is clearly speaking the action we need to do but we don't move. I am convinced He speaks ideas and plans to us but we miss it waiting for something to just land in our lap. Make sure you are aligned w/the word and do it in faith. We are waiting for stuff to fall from the sky that He is waiting on us to take steps to receive in faith.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Prov 10:4 He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.

Matthew 7:24 Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

Back