.....Potato Starch???

BLESSED1

I just got back from a bad trip to Sally's (I don't even have the energy to get into the details)....wanted to stock up on hair stuff before the blizzard starts.

I start taking out the stuff that I bought and I see what must be a free sample that the cashier had slipped in my bag. Anyone ever heard of L'oreal Nature's Therapy "natural & relaxed" (guess they're biting off of Pantene :lol: ) Intense Moisture? It says it's a deep conditioner, went to peep the ingredients and the fourth ingredient is potato starch! Of course this follows water (1st ingredient) a couple of alchol chemicals and glycerin which I like. But what does 'taters do for the hair? Granted the sample is only enough to coat my ends but just wanted to see if someone knew before I attempted to put in on a strand of my hair, don't want it to fall out now :look: TIA

Nope, never heard of it. However, if you decide to give it a try, please be kind and post a review here on the board. TIA.

I know potato peelings (the Irish ones) have iodine and are supposed to be great for the hair. Another reason to eat the whole potato. I was about to post the peeling recipe in the Unconventional thread as soon as I find the book it's in.

Don't know about potato starch though.

Well Allandra I used it tonight; on saturdays I usually shampoo and deep condition in the shower using Q.H. cholesterol and a showercap, let it seep in while I shave and then rinse it out. Like I said the sample was very small but I was able to coat a majority of my ends with it. I applied the cholesterol to the rest of my hair. I did notice that my ends felt remarkably different from the rest of my hair, lots of slip! I may actually buy the full size bottle/jar (I've never even seen this product before so I don't know how it normally looks) when I go back to Sally's. Not sure if the starch did anything though, I'm thinking the slip could've been from the glycerin :confused:

Info from the Sally Beauty Supply website (sorry, they don't have a pic of it there)...

[size=+0]Nature's Therapy Natural or Relaxed Intense Moisture[/size]
[size=+0]By: L'Oreal Technique

Sally Item #: 477050

Size: 4 oz

Advanced moisturizing treatment/masque to smooth and repair dry, damaged and over-processed hair.

Instantly detangles, smoothes and moisturizes
Leaves hair strong, healthy and beautiful
Vital conditioning protein complex helps to strengthen hair
Does not weigh hair down

Usage Tips
To be used as a luxury treatment for hair. For even deeper conditioning, leave on for 5 minutes with a plastic cap and sit under the dryer.

[/size]

Potato starch is a common ingredient that I have noticed in all of the L'Oreal conditioners (Redken, Kerastase, etc.). This new line of products has been advertised in a lot of magazines recently. There is a pre and post relaxer treatment, the deep conditioner and one other product that I can't recall at the moment.

HTH,
MissB

Thanks for the info ladies....I left it on for more than 5 mins. but I wonder if I would've had the same good results if I did leave it on for that short amount of time?? I may peep some of the other products in the natural & relaxed line the next time I go shopping :)

I imagine that the starch, because of the chemical composition of starch, will provide structure & strength to the hair--sort of like protein does.

Back