Post your tips for 1st time Duster here!!!

Pretty please post all methods and tools utilized when you dust.

Lately I have been finding a WHOLE bunch of knots and climbing splits. It's terrifying! I don't want to trim yet but I would like to eliminate heat and dust my own hair. Now this maybe a stupid question but: doesn't dusting throw your hair at different lengths all over? if you were straighten your hair after dusting would your hair look like you just got a messed up haircut?

Make sure you have GOOD hair cutting scissors, not kitchen shears or the ones from your junk drawer. :)

Relax and make sure you have plenty of time. I have't dusted my ends in over a year but I know I was never happy when I was feeling rushed, tired, or the kids were up and all over

I like to do S&D, Search & Destroy. I examine the ends of my hair and if I see a knot or a split I dust just that hair. After my last touch up, I did a general dusting where with one hand I held my hair between my index finger and middle finger, and just dusted the scraggly ends that poked through. I hope that makes sense. :look:

i dust for split ends frequently. My tips are to do tiny sections of hair at a time. Do your dusting in natural lighting, preferably outdoors. I usually dust by the window. Somehow, i am better able to visualize the split strands. Also dust while your hair is dry/product-free. If your hair is wet/moisturized your splits will be hard to distinguish.

Thanks for jasmine and priestess for the fabulous tips!! I think I will dust before washing this press out instead of looking for the split ends when my hair is in a big fro.

now one last question: where and what kind of scissors must i purchase?
i will purchase tomorrow!

Last edited:
Your welcome Carribean Dream! I got a great pair of shears by Goody at Wal-Mart. They were around $5. It's great to take dusting in your own hands (literally and figuratively.) :lachen:

Never, will I have the nasty experience of walking out of a salon and lamenting, "Why did they take so much off?!!" :wallbash:

Heck, at this rate with all of learned on LHCF from self relaxing to dusting, I'll never have to go to the salon again! :grin:

Priestess said:
Your welcome Carribean Dream! I got a great pair of shears by Goody at Wal-Mart. They were around $5. It's great to take dusting in your own hands (literally and figuratively.) :lachen:

Never, will I have the nasty experience of walking out of a salon and lamenting, "Why did they take so much off?!!" :wallbash:

Heck, at this rate with all of learned on LHCF from self relaxing to dusting, I'll never have to go to the salon again! :grin:

ok i lied..lol!
one last question: is it ok to cut a little bit farther above the split end..because I was just looking at my ends and there are some that are very thick at the end and appear as if they are about to split so i wondering if I could cut up farther?

PS. I KNOW exactly what you are talking about- i had a salon mishap earlier this year that ruined my progress and I don't want to have that happen again. Thanks for the scissor tip too!

Back