Post Pregnancy Shedding

Nenah

Is there anything to stop this from happening or do I have to sit here and watch my hair shed everyday. It is driving me crazy I sat under the dryer with Motions CPR than moisturized withDPR-11 in hopes that it would stop or slow it down and it's still shedding. What am I doing wrong. I never had this much shedding before so I'm thinking this is the culprit.

It's normal. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. It will run its course and grow again.

I know how you feel. The same thing happened to me and it was
very traumatic.

This is happening to me too (but my shedding may be medication as well as postpartum related). My hair has been coming out in huge clumps for over two months. I am absolutely distressed. Some have said that Alter Ego Cren Garlic Conditioner helped them, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm only combing my hair once a week now and I get a HUGE ball of hair every time. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but at least you're not alone.

I think there should be a support group for those of us who are going through this. It's very depressing:(

My shedding is due to stopping the pill, but my doctor says it's the same hormonal process as child birth shedding. He also says to be as gentle as possible, comb less, however no matter what you do...it's still going to shed.

Some say theirs only lasted 3 or 4 months. I'm at 2 1/2 now. What's helping me get through it is prayer, my supportive spouse, and the sisters on this site.

Braids might help you since you won't have to actually "see" the shedding everyday:confused:

Hope this helps some.

AFTER I HAD MY SON THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME AND THE ONLY THING I DID WAS BRIAIDED IT AND USE WGO AND EVENTUALLY IT SLOWED DOWN AND COMPLETELY STOPPED IT SUPRISED ME I THOUGHT I WAS GOING BALD:lol:

Thanks for responding ladies I guess I have to take it one day at a time I hope it has nothing to do with my BC. Than I will have to switch I'm already using something with low hormones due to breast feeding.

I think we mom's should have a consoling area here for post shedding :lol: maybe someone will come up with a combative idea.

I had severe post-partum shedding. All I can say is that it does fill back in, and grow back healthy as long as you have good hair care practices.

MrsHouston said:
I think there should be a support group for those of us who are going through this. It's very depressing:(

My shedding is due to stopping the pill, but my doctor says it's the same hormonal process as child birth shedding. He also says to be as gentle as possible, comb less, however no matter what you do...it's still going to shed.

Some say theirs only lasted 3 or 4 months. I'm at 2 1/2 now. What's helping me get through it is prayer, my supportive spouse, and the sisters on this site.

Braids might help you since you won't have to actually "see" the shedding everyday:confused: Hope this helps some.

Wow! I can't believe that this may be the culprit for my shedding too. I stopped using the pill around mid July and my hair started shedding soon after. It still hasn't let up yet. Today I went to Sally's and bought new combs because I read on another thread that the kind of combs you use can be a contributing factor. I must say that after I used my new comb tonight, I only say about 5 hairs as opposed to damn near 50 :eek: . I will continue to pray and try not to stress it.

(sigh)

I think my pp shedding is coming to an end. It started when my youngest was 3 months and he's now almost 5 months old.

I noticed that w/ this pregnancy it wasn't as bad as before because I was taking Biotin.

I didn't use the Alter Ego or Queene Helene's since they received mixed reviews here.

I know it's traumatic but there's really nothing you can do about it except ride it out.....

I did notice that lightly greasing my scalp helped. My thinning was mostly along my edges and I MTG'd those suckas back!:grin:

Be encouraged and know that it won't last forever.

My postpartum shedding began when my daughter turned four months and was bad for about two months. I still shed a little more than I did prior to pregnancy but I can tell the shedding is slowing down. My daughter is 9 months now so that is about five months of shedding. I didn't shed at all during the pregnancy. My hair was so beautiful and thick! I want that back! But on the positive side, despite all the shedding, my hair is still thick. So don't worry too much even if you shed a lot. This is normal after having a baby.

RedButterfly said:
My postpartum shedding began when my daughter turned four months and was bad for about two months. I still shed a little more than I did prior to pregnancy but I can tell the shedding is slowing down. My daughter is 9 months now so that is about five months of shedding. I didn't shed at all during the pregnancy. My hair was so beautiful and thick! I want that back! But on the positive side, despite all the shedding, my hair is still thick. So don't worry too much even if you shed a lot. This is normal after having a baby.

Wow five months of shedding I'm going to die. I don't even want to comb my hair I just put it in a bun and go. I can't imagine going that long. I didn't shed during the pregnancy either it was all thick now it looks like it wants to be thin. I have to stop it so I'm on a mission.

delta_gyrl said:
(sigh)

I think my pp shedding is coming to an end. It started when my youngest was 3 months and he's now almost 5 months old.

I noticed that w/ this pregnancy it wasn't as bad as before because I was taking Biotin.

I didn't use the Alter Ego or Queene Helene's since they received mixed reviews here.

I know it's traumatic but there's really nothing you can do about it except ride it out.....

I did notice that lightly greasing my scalp helped. My thinning was mostly along my edges and I MTG'd those suckas back!:grin:

Be encouraged and know that it won't last forever.

It's not the edges (thank god) just overall I don't want to use anything because I'm still breastfeeding my doctor told me to continue taking my prenatal vitamins it may help.

Back