Possible theory

soslychic

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I wanted the opinion of some of you on this:

We all know that massaging the scalp stimulates it and helps in hair growth. Also, when people get braids, they report faster growth. I've always thought that it was because more length was maintained and kept because of not daily combing or manipulating, however some insist that there hair actually grew faster. Lately I've noticed that the front part of my hair is growing at more than TWICE the rate of the back. I often have cornrows in the front and leave the rest out. Could it be because of the circulation and slight tension that the braids cause, therefore stimulating the scalp? This is the only rational reason I can think for the HUGE difference in growth rate. I plan on getting a full head of kinky twists extensions (with the part closest to the scalp braided) and I guess I'll have a chance to test my theory. What do you all think?

I think the fact the hair is not manipulated will lead to an accumulation of lengthier hair. I don't think the hair may speed up the growth rate because of braids (I'm sporting braids now), but I think the growth is more noticeable. I feel like my braids barely last me two months before the extension is a good distance away from my scalp. I don't think I'd pay the growth much mind if it didn't look so obvious. Know what I mean???

Re: Possible theory (P.S.)

I think the front of your hair is more protected than the back and this could be the little edge the front is getting. Experiment with doing the kinky twists and see how that affects things.

Re: Possible theory (P.S.)

I've actually felt the same way. Often when I braid my hair for a braid out, I use a slight tention and my scalp feels "open." When I've gotten my hair braided it's felt tingly and then itchy and I did experience (what I felt) was a fast rate of hair growth.

I don't know if this is just an allusion or if there is some actual stimulation going on, but I have thought the same as you. Unfortunately I do not get my hair braided often because I cannot sit long enough...

I agree with soslychic. The first year i was natural, i didnt wear braids under my wigs. I only manipulated my hair when i washed it. I dont comb unless it's wet, i dont ever use brushes, i dont dye, nothin. The hair was just loose under a wig cap. It took me 1.5 years to grow 4 inches of hair. After that, I started to worry about tangles, so in September 05. I started to cornrow my hair under the wigs. After they loosened, I would redo them to maintain the tension and I had one set of braids. Now, 8 months later, I have at least 4 more inches of hair. My diet has actually changed for the worse, I no longer take vitamins, I stopped drinking water, and I havent even seen the gym this year. I know other people's hair probably grows that fast anyway, but for me the growth rate more than doubled (if my math is correct). This is what I found works. Robin mentioned it on her site, Marvin said something that convinced me of it (somthin bout natural hair when stretched/straightened, grows faster.....I took that to mean our curls fall back on themselves, so it decreases the follicles ability to push the hair out), other sites mention hair tugging as a method to increase growth rate etc.

i think ur right in sayin its down to NO manipulation. i barely even touch my hair and its growin like weeds.

Back