Possible OverConditioning causes shedding??????

honeybearmommy32

I've been deep conditioning every week w/ORS (organic root stimulator) Hair Mayonnaise under the dryer for 30 minutes for 9 weeks now after the ORS detangling shampoo. I don't currently have a Leave-In as i felt the Deep Conditioning every week was PLENTY!

I believe it's making my hair shedd terribly!:sad:

I am sure moisture isn't my problem & i won't need a hot oil treatment bcuz the ORS hair mayo is overly moisturizing.....

I guess I should also add that I'm on my 3rd bottle of Biotin in 2yrs by the way, Should i switch to prenatal vitamins now since the Biotin aren't working anymore?

It's been 5 weeks since my last relaxer and i made sure i neutralized. I used Nioxin last weekend hoping to stop the shedding this week but nothings changed.

I'm headed to the Beauty Supply Store, just wondering what to get? Where do i go from here? I don't want to lose the hair i've been growing for 2 years and I don't want to BC...

I've been deep conditioning every week w/ORS (organic root stimulator) Hair Mayonnaise under the dryer for 30 minutes for 9 weeks now after the ORS detangling shampoo. I don't currently have a Leave-In as i felt the Deep Conditioning every week was PLENTY!

I believe it's making my hair shedd terribly!:sad:

I am sure moisture isn't my problem & i won't need a hot oil treatment bcuz the ORS hair mayo is overly moisturizing.....

I guess I should also add that I'm on my 3rd bottle of Biotin in 2yrs by the way, Should i switch to prenatal vitamins now since the Biotin aren't working anymore?

It's been 5 weeks since my last relaxer and i made sure i neutralized. I used Nioxin last weekend hoping to stop the shedding this week but nothings changed.

I'm headed to the Beauty Supply Store, just wondering what to get? Where do i go from here? I don't want to lose the hair i've been growing for 2 years and I don't want to BC...

I think you need some moisture.

ORS hair mayo has protein in it if I remember correctly.

The shampoo may be a problem as well... are you using the creamy aloe shampoo? That is a chelating shampoo which can be drying.

I think that you should get a protein free deep conditioner and give yourself a really good DC asap. And lay off the protein for a while. You may also benefit from using a more gentle shampoo...

I did remember using thise 2-3 years ago and notice quite more shedding than usual. I believe it was to much for my hair and left it alone.

Here are the ingredients to ORS Hair Mayonnaise. There is protein in this product. I agree that you need more moisture. It is important to read and understand the ingredients in products to know whether or not a product has protein. Too much protein can cause shedding. I have read good things about Joico Moisture Recovery. Again, you should read the ingredients to determine if there is any protein in this product.

Water Aqua , Polyquaternium 32 , Glycerin , Safflower Oil Carthamus Tinctorius , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cetyl Alcohol , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , Lanolin , Dimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Panthenol Vitamin B5 , Cholesterol , Stinging Nettle Urtica Dioica , Capsicum Extract Paprika , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Egg Powder Ovum , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Propylene Glycol , DMDM Hydantoin , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Brown No. 1 CI 20170 , Fragrance Parfum , Benzyl Benzoate , D'Limonene , Linalool , Alphaisomethylionone

Last edited:
Common protein ingredients include:

* Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein

* Hydrolyzed Silk Protein

* Hydrolyzed Soy Protein

* Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

* Silk Amino Acids

* Silk Protein

* Soy Protein

* Wheat Amino Acids

* Wheat Protein

Are you absolutely sure the problem is shedding (full length strands with bulb attached) and not breakage (different length strands, no bulb)?

^^ IA. Make sure the hair has a bulb. We all have a certain time during the year where we will shed more hair than usual. It could just be that. Products can help contribute to breakage, but not shedding.

Not to discount what the others said regarding too much protein, I was wondering if maybe this is the time of year your hair sheds (mine are Aug - Sept crazy shed)...how much are you losing and like lilikoi said is it shed or breakage?

this happened to me when i used too much protein (i was using protein every week) except it wasn't excess shedding but tons of breakage... i had to do a deep trim and moisturize extra often... all in all i lost about 5inches and will not make it my wl goal for dec 2010... this happened last fall... my hair does not like a lot of protein, i do henna treatment once every 2 months and thats it... my hair thrives on moisture... lots o' moisture

Your hair might be "over moisturized" by using the moisturizing conditioner weekly. Too much moisture can break your hair too if you don't balance with protein. Try balancing out your moisture with a boost of protein. A good moisture / protein balance will help.

Well I think you should also consider this: Some conventional conditioners can be too heavyfor use on the scalp and may contribute to clogging the scalp's pores. This can possibly lead to excess shedding. So you may be getting conditioner on your scalp nad try keeping it off the scalp and see if anything changes over time. I know for sure that if I continually put a heavy conditioner on my scalp, it sheds like crazy.

Like others have asked though, are you sure your hair is shedding or breaking? Once you've established this, you may be better able to know what to do next.

My hair was shedding, with the bulb attached to every strand. It's been doing it since i started the ORS Hair Mayo and ORS normal relaxer.

the stylist at the beauty supply gave me Aphogee's 2step treatment, it's been 4 days and so far so good. no more shedding.

but i've lost a ton of girth! it's been 2 years since my last big chop, this little episode leaves me no other choice, but to at least start from another shoulder length bob OR a sew in for about 6 months and then chop????

I just wish i knew more about growing my own hair, and about the Aphogee treatment when the shedding began. Better late than never i guess...............

and yes, i think i'll be returning to my old trusty staples, Creme of Nature and Motions shampoos' and conditioners. something about ORS my hair didn't like................

Back