Porosity Control?

IMFOCSD

Hi everyone :wave:,

I have been hearing good things about porosity control and was thinking about buying either the shampoo, conditioner or the moisturizing treatment. I need more information first. Just exactly how does it help the hair? Is there anyone who uses the whole line? or does one work better than the other? thanks in advance!

sweetcoco

Just goolged it and this is what I got:

Roux Porosity Control Shampoo & Roux Porosity Control Conditioner
Controls perm, color and relaxer results. Use before a chemical service to prevent chemical shock, to equalize hair porosity and ensure predictable results.
Moisturizes, detangles, lusterizes. Helps create more uniform color, perm and relaxer results. Leaves hair natural looking, vibrant and manageable.

Roux Porosity Control Extreme Moisturizing Treatment
Weekly treatment that delivers intense conditioning to dry, porous or damaged hair.
Rehydrates dry, porous, damaged hair. Perfect for daily or deep conditioning. Equalizes hair's porosity for new elasticity and styling ease.

I think my hair is super porous because it gets dry so quickly and it always looks frizzy even after I trim thinking I have damaged ends. Maybe this is what I need:look:. I am still slightly confused about which one I should try:perplexed.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!;)

I have used the shampoo, conditioner, and Mendex hair treatment. All of them have a pH of 4.5 and help with porosity. I once tried using the shampoo and Mendex together, and it turned out :( , I would not recommend using multiple acidic products in one wash session.

For me, the shampoo is a staple because I use it after an Aphogee treatment and the Mendex is a staple, I use it for about 1/2 of all my conditioning treatments, it is a light protein treatment.

You should read Gymfreak's post on porosity control, she gives some excellent instructions on how to incorporate the conditioner into your regimen.

I've never tried the Moisture Treatment, if you check the ingredients it is really a reconstructor, not a moisture treatment. I believe the 2nd or 3rd ingredient is a protein. If you need a reconstructor, based on my experience with the rest of the line it is probably a good bet.

CAPlush said:
I have used the shampoo, conditioner, and Mendex hair treatment. All of them have a pH of 4.5 and help with porosity. I once tried using the shampoo and Mendex together, and it turned out :( , I would not recommend using multiple acidic products in one wash session.

For me, the shampoo is a staple because I use it after an Aphogee treatment and the Mendex is a staple, I use it for about 1/2 of all my conditioning treatments, it is a light protein treatment.

You should read Gymfreak's post on porosity control, she gives some excellent instructions on how to incorporate the conditioner into your regimen.

I've never tried the Moisture Treatment, if you check the ingredients it is really a reconstructor, not a moisture treatment. I believe the 2nd or 3rd ingredient is a protein. If you need a reconstructor, based on my experience with the rest of the line it is probably a good bet.

Thank you for responding I was just about to give up.;) Great advice and information I guess I will try the shampoo first to see if i like it. does the shampoo add moisture to your hair or is it strictly for porosity? I am about to read Gymfreaks post right after I post this reply.

Thanks again
sweetcoco

sweetcoco said:
Thank you for responding I was just about to give up.;) Great advice and information I guess I will try the shampoo first to see if i like it. does the shampoo add moisture to your hair or is it strictly for porosity? I am about to read Gymfreaks post right after I post this reply.

Thanks again
sweetcoco

I would say the shampoo is for porosity, I did not find it to be moisturizing.

CAPlush said:
I would say the shampoo is for porosity, I did not find it to be moisturizing.

Cool, I guess I am going to have to find a good moisturizing shampoo, but what?:look:

I've used the Porosity Control shampoo and conditioner for years as my main weekly shampoo and conditioner. I used it for about 5 years when I was relaxed, and I've started back up using it (I stopped in August after I went natural--thought I might be able to find something better).

To me, Porosity Control gives great slip, makes detangling super easy, and the conditioner especially leaves my hair very soft and moisturized. As a side note: I like the conditioner better than the shampoo, but I think they work great together (i.e. if you get the shampoo get the conditioner too; but if you just get the conditioner you'll probably be fine).

SEMO said:
I've used the Porosity Control shampoo and conditioner for years as my main weekly shampoo and conditioner. I used it for about 5 years when I was relaxed, and I've started back up using it (I stopped in August after I went natural--thought I might be able to find something better).

To me, Porosity Control gives great slip, makes detangling super easy, and the conditioner especially leaves my hair very soft and moisturized. As a side note: I like the conditioner better than the shampoo, but I think they work great together (i.e. if you get the shampoo get the conditioner too; but if you just get the conditioner you'll probably be fine).

O great now I am confused!:confused:

Just kidding I think I will try them both. I wonder if I can get samples?:eyebrows2

sweetcoco said:
Cool, I guess I am going to have to find a good moisturizing shampoo, but what?:look:

Some good ones (IMO) are:

*Creme of Nature conditioning/detangling (green/white label) - can build up on your hair, so I wouldn't recommend this as your sole shampoo
*Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo
*Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo - it smells like peaches, and is very gentle on the hair

BTW, I really like the Porosity Control conditioner. I use it about 1x/week for about a minute, between my shampoo and deep conditioner. It has really helped balance out the porosity of my hair. It also detangles like nobody's business. I also use it after relaxers to normalize the pH of my hair. I need to get a bigger bottle soon!

ETA: If you go to Sally's, you can get a small bottle of PC conditioner for less than $2. Not sure if they have trial sizes of the shampoo, though.

Sally's Beauty Supply has samples of the condition and the treatment. I didn't see samples of the shampoo, however. I purchased the two other sample products. I'll try the conditioner after the neutralizing process following my relaxer this weekend.

preciousjewel76 said:

*Creme of Nature conditioning/detangling (green/white label) - can build up on your hair, so I wouldn't recommend this as your sole shampoo
*Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo - it smells like peaches, and is very gentle on the hair

BTW, I really like the Porosity Control conditioner. I use it about 1x/week for about a minute, between my shampoo and deep conditioner. It has really helped balance out the porosity of my hair. It also detangles like nobody's business. I also use it after relaxers to normalize the pH of my hair. I need to get a bigger bottle soon!

ETA: If you go to Sally's, you can get a small bottle of PC conditioner for less than $2. Not sure if they have trial sizes of the shampoo, though.

Thank you, I am glad you told me about the CON shampoo because that was on my "products to buy" list but I do not need any build up. I really do need something that is gentle on the hair so I will keep Eluence in mind. I am starting to want this porosity control more and more.

Last edited:
Serenity_Peace said:
Sally's Beauty Supply has samples of the condition and the treatment. I didn't see samples of the shampoo, however. I purchased the two other sample products. I'll try the conditioner after the neutralizing process following my relaxer this weekend.

O goody so I can get the little samples cool. I am a sally's head:lol:, I am always buying something from sally's so I will def have to go get the samples real soon.;)

sweetcoco said:
Thank you, I am glad you told me about the CON shampoo because that was on my "products to buy" list but I do not need any build up. I really do need something that is gentle on the hair so I will keep Eluence in mind. I am starting to wasnt this porosity control more and more.

The only shampoo that I have ever tried that I find moisturizing is Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather. It rinses clean as well, and it's only $5.

sweetcoco said:
Thank you, I am glad you told me about the CON shampoo because that was on my "products to buy" list but I do not need any build up. I really do need something that is gentle on the hair so I will keep Eluence in mind. I am starting to wasnt this porosity control more and more.

Creme of Nature isn't "bad" (although some ladies have had problems with it), it does it's job well. It just seems to leave a film on your hair if you use it all the time. I only use it every other week or so, so I haven't had any problems with it. It's great for helping to detangle your hair.

I may go back to Elucence at some point, but you can only find it online or in certain salons. Do a Google search for it.

CAPlush said:
The only shampoo that I have ever tried that I find moisturizing is Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream Lather. It rinses clean as well, and it's only $5.

NTM is another line I really want to try but they are so expensive here (cleveland) 8 bucks or more:eek:. That is alot for 6 oz bottles or maybe I am just cheap!:look: I did buy the leave in and I like it. Maybe I need to stop being so cheap all the time.

sweetcoco said:
NTM is another line I really want to try but they are so expensive here (cleveland) 8 bucks or more:eek:. That is alot for 6 oz bottles or maybe I am just cheap!:look: I did buy the leave in and I like it. Maybe I need to stop being so cheap all the time.

$8!!!! Here it is $5 at Ulta, that is a ridiculous price, it is a small bottle, depending on how much you use it will last 6-8 washes.

preciousjewel76 said:
Creme of Nature isn't "bad" (although some ladies have had problems with it), it does it's job well. It just seems to leave a film on your hair if you use it all the time. I only use it every other week or so, so I haven't had any problems with it. It's great for helping to detangle your hair.

I may go back to Elucence at some point, but you can only find it online or in certain salons. Do a Google search for it.

I here mostly good things about CON but if I can find a moisturizing shampoo that is gentle on the hair I am all for it especially since I wash my hair twice a week. So I would choose the elucence over the CON.

CAPlush said:
$8!!!! Here it is $5 at Ulta, that is a ridiculous price, it is a small bottle, depending on how much you use it will last 6-8 washes.

Yes, I agree with you all the way. I have thought about purchasing it online because it is cheaper but after the shipping fees I will end up spending the same amount or more. When i first bought the NTM leave in it only lasted a couple of weeks but then again I was/am washing my hair alot and I used the leave in every time I washed. Or i could Have been using too much at a time.

preciousjewel76 said:

Thanks for the tip...that's how I'm going to use it!

sweetcoco said:
Yes, I agree with you all the way. I have thought about purchasing it online because it is cheaper but after the shipping fees I will end up spending the same amount or more. When i first bought the NTM leave in it only lasted a couple of weeks but then again I was/am washing my hair alot and I used the leave in every time I washed. Or i could Have been using too much at a time.

Try drugstore.com. When I order from them I usually order $50 worth of various products that I would go to the store for, and I pay no S&H or Tax. They carry NTM.

GoldenBreeze said:
Try drugstore.com. When I order from them I usually order $50 worth of various products that I would go to the store for, and I pay no S&H or Tax. They carry NTM.

Thank you GoldenBreeze, I will have to give them a try. I really don't mind ordering online. I actually do it often but it is just s&h that I can't stand, but to pay no shipping or taxes is the cool.

preciousjewel76 said:

CON (green bottle) is a staple...I'm almost always grabbing for it at wash time. I don't know about leaving film on hair. I clarify my hair every 3 weeks or when I feel like it....see my thing is as long as my hair isn't breaking I'm straight but I'm still learning about my hair like right now I don't even know what PC does but I'm getting ready to read gymfreak's thread and find out:)

Back