Porosity Control + Relaxer Touch Up

CoCoEspresso

Hi ladies:wave:
I am a long time lurker who has finally decided to reveal herself.
I will formally introduce myself in another thread, but right now I have a question.
Tomorrow marks the end of my 16 week stretch and I will relax on Friday.
I have seen so many threads raving about Porosity Control Conditioner, and I would like to know if can be used after touching up. I think that I have read that some use it after they neutralize and shampoo. Is this true? If so, what effect does it have on the hair? Also, at what stage should I use it? I plan on relaxing in sections. First, I would rinse the relaxer, apply Motions Neutralizing Conditioner, rinse again and apply Proclaim Neutralizing Shampoo. After the neutralizing has been completed, is this the time to use the PC?
Sorry that I have so many questions. It's just that I want to "get it right", and I am going to Sally's today so I need to know if it's worth purchasing.
I appreciate any info that you share.

Welcome Coco!

I use Porosity Control ("PC") after relaxing, with great results. It lowers the pH level of your hair, which is raised during the relaxing process. It also helps to close the cuticle of your hair and therefore make your hair smoother and helps it retain moisture better.

After rinsing out the relaxer, I apply PC and Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor, and let sit for about 5 minutes. I rinse and follow up with Motions Moisture Plus conditioner (also lowers pH level of hair), and let sit for 10 mintues. Then I rinse, neutralize, and deep condition. My hair does not have that "limp" relaxer feeling, and it is smooth and strong after relaxing when I follow this process.

I did a search on Porosity Control and these threads came up. Feel free to check them out:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/search.php?searchid=1256524

You may also want to check out this thread about your hair's properties, including pH and porosity:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=94325&highlight=porosity

Thanks Precious!
You are a gem! I have been hearing so many good things about Motions MP but I can't purchase it until I use up my Pantene Breakage Defense Mask and DPR-11. Oh and I just ordered the 24oz ORS Replenishing Conditioner:eek:. Needless to say that I won't be able to for a very long time.:perplexed Thankfully I am not a PJ but it's hard not be. I'll let you know how it turns out.:)

preciousjewel76 said:
Welcome Coco!

I use Porosity Control ("PC") after relaxing, with great results. It lowers the pH level of your hair, which is raised during the relaxing process. It also helps to close the cuticle of your hair and therefore make your hair smoother and helps it retain moisture better.

After rinsing out the relaxer, I apply PC and Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor, and let sit for about 5 minutes. I rinse and follow up with Motions Moisture Plus conditioner (also lowers pH level of hair), and let sit for 10 mintues. Then I rinse, neutralize, and deep condition. My hair does not have that "limp" relaxer feeling, and it is smooth and strong after relaxing when I follow this process.

I did a search on Porosity Control and these threads came up. Feel free to check them out:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/search.php?searchid=1256524

You may also want to check out this thread about your hair's properties, including pH and porosity:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=94325&highlight=porosity

I love PC i use it every week but I havent had the luxury of doing this for relaxers yet since I get my retouches done at the salon and they dont use PC :( ...But im trying to build myself up to do my own retouches and will def. use it after a relaxer....(the highlighted) Thanks for that info that is an interresting sequence i'll keep that in mind :)

I used PC for the first time yesterday after a relaxer(neutralized first) and hair rinse. It is really a keeper!:yep: I felt and saw a difference in my hair after rinsing PC out of my hair. Go ahead and give it a try, you will love it.;)

Okay ladies! Will do. Too bad I didn't make it to Sally's today (I was late for work!) I'll go tomorrow. Anyway precious, you mentioned that you use the PC and the Aphogee Reconstructor before neutralizing. Does that mean that you use them at the same time? Does that allow the reconstructor to penetrate better? I don't know if you already explained this, but does the PC make the hair more or less porous? I think I read in one thread that it allows the cuticle to lay flat, so I would guess that it causes the hair to be less porous.

CoCoEspresso said:
Okay ladies! Will do. Too bad I didn't make it to Sally's today (I was late for work!) I'll go tomorrow. Anyway precious, you mentioned that you use the PC and the Aphogee Reconstructor before neutralizing. Does that mean that you use them at the same time? Does that allow the reconstructor to penetrate better? I don't know if you already explained this, but does the PC make the hair more or less porous? I think I read in one thread that it allows the cuticle to lay flat, so I would guess that it causes the hair to be less porous.

Yes, I use them at the same time. I put on the PC first, then slather the Aphogee on top of it. I really only do this to save time, but it worked well, so I'll stick with it. You're right, the PC should make your hair less porous (that is, make it more "normal") over time.

When I relax I rinse out my relaxer, apply motions neutralizing conditioner for 5-10 mins, follow with Porosity control for a couple mins, rinse, then neutralize with ploclaim neutralizing shampoo

preciousjewel76 said:
It's okay to apply the other products before neutralizing? I've heard that although you rinse the relaxer, it it technically still processing. Also, what is the effect of the protein on the hair I know that a relaxer basically breaks the disulfide bridges of the hair, thus changing its structure from curly to straight. Would applying a protein treatment directly after this process counteract this? I'm asking because I have had reversion occur. I know that is controversial whether it does indeed happen, but it happened to me. Weeks 1 and 2 were gravy but after that it was all downhill from there. Sorry again about the questions, I'm just very inquisitive.:bookworm:

CoCoEspresso said:
It's okay to apply the other products before neutralizing? I've heard that although you rinse the relaxer, it it technically still processing. Also, what is the effect of the protein on the hair I know that a relaxer basically breaks the disulfide bridges of the hair, thus changing its structure from curly to straight. Would applying a protein treatment directly after this process counteract this? I'm asking because I have had reversion occur. I know that is controversial whether it does indeed happen, but it happened to me. Weeks 1 and 2 were gravy but after that it was all downhill from there. Sorry again about the questions, I'm just very inquisitive.:bookworm:

This is from the link I posted earlier about hair properties. It was written by Sistaslick, our resident hair chemist/consultant:). The bolded portion addresses your specific question:

The pH scale and the Special Implications of Relaxing

For those of you who relax, understanding pH is particularly important. Our body and hair normally bear a pH of between 4.5 and 6. This includes the scalp and its secretions as well. Relaxer chemicals are in the alkaline pH range of 10-13, depending on the relaxer strength. If your body chemistry is such that you have a naturally lower body pH, below 4 or 5, your relaxer may only take your hair to a pH of 8 or 9. A pH in this range will not effectively break down the bonds in your hair to allow you to reach the desired straightened effect. If your own bodily pH is naturally low, you may benefit from relaxer with a greater strength—or one that bears a higher pH to raise your hair to the proper pH range for effective relaxing. Washing the hair two days prior to relaxing may help your relaxer take better. This will keep your natural acidic scalp secretions at bay so that they do not affect the relaxer chemical.

I've also come across threads where posters are concerned about properly neutralizing their hair-- either while doing a mid-relaxer protein step or because the person doing their relaxer decided to skip the neutralizer all together. Again pH's play a major role in how the action of a relaxer is stopped/neutralized. The relaxer process is only compatible at a certain pH's (usually 10-14). As soon as you begin to rinse the relaxer with water (ph 7), the neutralization process has already begun in two ways. First, by the physical removal of the relaxer creme and then by the gradual lowering of the pH. But as we know, water alone is not adequate for bringing down the hair to the normal 4-6 range- it will only bring a pH in the 10-14 range down to about 8 or 9. You still need something more acidic. This is where the neutralizing shampoo typically comes in (pH 3-4). For those who include mid-relaxer protein steps, your water (ph7) brings down the pH, your conditioner which is typically a normalizing (pH of 4-5) brings it down further-- and the neutralizing shampoo finishes it off. Since the pH is slowly being brought down with each product and the creme is removed with each rinsing, the hair is not continuing to process at full strength.

Also, I have not had problems with reversion or overprocessing with my relaxer regimen. The PC and Motions conditioners help to bring down the hair's pH, and the Aphogee is a light protein that doesn't seem to revert my relaxer at all. Of course, I still neutralize after my treatments.

Last edited:
preciousjewel76 said:
This is from the link I posted earlier about hair properties. It was written by Sistaslick, our resident hair chemist/consultant:). The bolded portion addresses your specific question:

The pH scale and the Special Implications of Relaxing

For those of you who relax, understanding pH is particularly important. Our body and hair normally bear a pH of between 4.5 and 6. This includes the scalp and its secretions as well. Relaxer chemicals are in the alkaline pH range of 10-13, depending on the relaxer strength. If your body chemistry is such that you have a naturally lower body pH, below 4 or 5, your relaxer may only take your hair to a pH of 8 or 9. A pH in this range will not effectively break down the bonds in your hair to allow you to reach the desired straightened effect. If your own bodily pH is naturally low, you may benefit from relaxer with a greater strength—or one that bears a higher pH to raise your hair to the proper pH range for effective relaxing. Washing the hair two days prior to relaxing may help your relaxer take better. This will keep your natural acidic scalp secretions at bay so that they do not affect the relaxer chemical.

I've also come across threads where posters are concerned about properly neutralizing their hair-- either while doing a mid-relaxer protein step or because the person doing their relaxer decided to skip the neutralizer all together. Again pH's play a major role in how the action of a relaxer is stopped/neutralized. The relaxer process is only compatible at a certain pH's (usually 10-14). As soon as you begin to rinse the relaxer with water (ph 7), the neutralization process has already begun in two ways. First, by the physical removal of the relaxer creme and then by the gradual lowering of the pH. But as we know, water alone is not adequate for bringing down the hair to the normal 4-6 range- it will only bring a pH in the 10-14 range down to about 8 or 9. You still need something more acidic. This is where the neutralizing shampoo typically comes in (pH 3-4). For those who include mid-relaxer protein steps, your water (ph7) brings down the pH, your conditioner which is typically a normalizing (pH of 4-5) brings it down further-- and the neutralizing shampoo finishes it off. Since the pH is slowly being brought down with each product and the creme is removed with each rinsing, the hair is not continuing to process at full strength.
Great! This makes perfect sense, now. After reading this, I now understand why PC is optimal for use after chemical services. Anyone who is concerned about improper neutralization should definitely give this a try. This is coming from someone who used to neutralize, just once.:eek:

Should I be concerned that I haven't washed my hair in about 5 days? The reason that I ask is that I am doing a touch-up and a corrective relaxer, and I do not want any of my products to interfere with the relaxer processing properly. If I do wash tonight, then would that be dangerous (I am planning on relaxing on Friday)?

CoCoEspresso said:
Should I be concerned that I haven't washed my hair in about 5 days? The reason that I ask is that I am doing a touch-up and a corrective relaxer, and I do not want any of my products to interfere with the relaxer processing properly. If I do wash tonight, then would that be dangerous (I am planning on relaxing on Friday)?

I usually wait 48-72 hrs after a wash before relaxing. Some ladies have washed the same day as their relaxer with no problems! It really just depends.

preciousjewel76 said:
I usually wait 48-72 hrs after a wash before relaxing. Some ladies have washed the same day as their relaxer with no problems! It really just depends.
I'll try it and see. I do use a lot of leave ins and some cones. Maybe I'll try an ACV rinse and clarify tonight.

Back