Porosity and Natural 4b hair

Mena

I am having issues with my hair tangling and knotting. I read here it was because the porosity is too high. I use ORS hair mayo to Cowash. I moisturize with ORS Olive Oil creme/lotion and I seal with EVOO. Sometimes I will spray in a leave in conditioner by aphogee. I don't shampoo. I was wondering if I might need to switch my products. If so, any suggestions? My hair has been doing so well. I dont want all my hard work to go down the drain.

It could just be the nature of your hair since you're natural. I don't think testing porosity is going to stop tangling. Also, you might need to change your products. I'm not sure if you should be co washing with Hair Mayo.

Have u tried an acv rinse or an acidifying condtioner, like nexxus ensure? This always helps me when i'm having porosity issues and tangling

Last edited:
nope i havent tried that but I will.

I know natural hair is supposed to tangle but is it supposed to knot up with the other strands? It is like the hair cuticle is damaged in a random spot. That is usually where I end up getting a knot or something.

nope i havent tried that but I will.

I know natural hair is supposed to tangle but is it supposed to knot up with the other strands? It is like the hair cuticle is damaged in a random spot. That is usually where I end up getting a knot or something.

It's probably shed hair that's causing the knots. Sometimes they get caught up in the other strands and cause a knot. A lot of people try to keep their hair stretched to avoid that problem. How often do you comb through/detangle your hair?

It's probably shed hair that's causing the knots. Sometimes they get caught up in the other strands and cause a knot. A lot of people try to keep their hair stretched to avoid that problem. How often do you comb through/detangle your hair?

I detangle my hair like once a week. I wear a quick weave so I press the part I leave out.

I detangle my hair like once a week. I wear a quick weave so I press the part I leave out.

Thats seems often enough. How do you wear your hair underneath the weave? Are you braiding it? It might just be the nature of your hair. A lot of naturals contemplate texturizing or relaxing because they can't deal with knots anymore. :ohwell:

Thats seems often enough. How do you wear your hair underneath the weave? Are you braiding it? It might just be the nature of your hair. A lot of naturals contemplate texturizing or relaxing because they can't deal with knots anymore. :ohwell:

I keep it braided underneath my weave.

The spray in conditioner by Aphogee - is it protien, or just moisturizing? How often are you using it?

The Olive Oil/cream lotion - is it actually moisturizing your hair? Is it oil based or water based? How often are you using it?

Are you clarifying regularily?

How are you taking the braids down? What are you putting in the braids when you put them up? It sounds like you only leave them in for a week?

I find, personally, that I have the most tangles and knots when my hair isn't moisturized enough. Since most of it is 'put away' I would suggest trying to increase your moisture level, and see if that helps any. (I'm such a broken record when it comes to naturals :grin: )

I cosign with glamazon about being sure that your hair is FULLY detangled and that you are getting all the shed hairs out - if you are detangling, and then braiding it right back up under your sew-in, if it's totally detangled, it shouldn't have a chance to tangle more, as it's restricted in the braids - but if there are 'free' hairs in there, they are going to knot up around the 'restricted' ones...

The spray in conditioner by Aphogee - is it protien, or just moisturizing? How often are you using it?

The Olive Oil/cream lotion - is it actually moisturizing your hair? Is it oil based or water based? How often are you using it?

Are you clarifying regularily?

How are you taking the braids down? What are you putting in the braids when you put them up? It sounds like you only leave them in for a week?

I find, personally, that I have the most tangles and knots when my hair isn't moisturized enough. Since most of it is 'put away' I would suggest trying to increase your moisture level, and see if that helps any. (I'm such a broken record when it comes to naturals :grin: )

I cosign with glamazon about being sure that your hair is FULLY detangled and that you are getting all the shed hairs out - if you are detangling, and then braiding it right back up under your sew-in, if it's totally detangled, it shouldn't have a chance to tangle more, as it's restricted in the braids - but if there are 'free' hairs in there, they are going to knot up around the 'restricted' ones...

The Aphogee leave in is protein. I use it everday. I think I might slow down on it though. The Olive oil creme is water based. Also, I use evoo to seal. I dont use this as often though. I think I will increase this and ease up on the aphogee. I dont clarify too often. I just cowash.

I make a bunch of little braids that I take down each week and rebraid.

I dont think I do get all the shedded hairs out when I detangle. That is a good point.

The Aphogee leave in is protein. I use it everday. I think I might slow down on it though. The Olive oil creme is water based. Also, I use evoo to seal. I dont use this as often though. I think I will increase this and ease up on the aphogee. I dont clarify too often. I just cowash.

I make a bunch of little braids that I take down each week and rebraid.

I dont think I do get all the shedded hairs out when I detangle. That is a good point.

:yep: I could cut back on the protien - a lot.
1) Your hair is natural, which means that you already have most of your natural protien layer and 2) You don't manipulate/heat your hair much, so you don't really NEED the extra protien.
Be sure to give your hair some moisture (water - a sprizter is usually good, as it doesn't require you to mess up the do) before you seal it, or seal it damp - and try to give it a lil moisture everyday, if you can without messing up the do.
Using that many leave-ins/oils, I would suggest clarifying once a month - esp. if you use anything with cones in it - they build up on your hair, and will prevent the moisture you are trying to add from actually GETTING to your hair.
Are you using any creame/conditioner when you take the braids down? Depending on your hair, putting them up WITH conditioner in it, and rinsing your head VERY well, and taking them down with conditioner 'mushed' into them, might reduce your knots, by giving your hair a lil extra slip when you are manipulating it....

Good luck - hopefully you'll have fewer knots to deal with!

Back