Ponytails/buns and breakage.

Sarahh.

I know many people use ponytails and buns as protective styles, but do you have damage from using hair ties, ponytails holders etc?
What do you do to prevent it?

My hair is a lot longer at the back than it is on the sides, and I've finally figured out why. The ends of the hair on the sides only just fit in the ponytail so they are constantly rubbing against my hair tie, whereas the hair at the back goes further in the ponytail and therefore the ends don't touch the hair tie.

I don't know if that makes sense..but anyway, how can I stop this breakage and damage? I've been trying to find satin scrunchies but haven't had any luck..

I've heard of using silk stocking or knee highs to make your own scrunhies. just cut them crosswise -you get a lot of scruchies ou of one pair of kneehighs!

I don't use a ponytail holder at the base of my bun and I move the bun every week or so, so one spot won't become weakened from constant bunning

One week my bun will be on the center of my head, the next week it'll be on the lower right side, etc. HTH!

I bun pretty much all the time and I haven't experienced breakage/damage from it. I use cut knee highs/stockings as my pony tail holders. I dont use anything with a metal clasp on it

I've heard of using silk stocking or knee highs to make your own scrunhies. just cut them crosswise -you get a lot of scruchies ou of one pair of kneehighs!

That's a really good idea except I tried it and the stockings seem to be too stretchy and don't seem to hold my hair in a ponytail. Maybe when my hair is longer.

Some person soak their ponytail holders in oil. I do this too. I have not had much breakage.

Another good idea. I think I'll try this. Thanks.

Back