PONYTAILS: Anyone consistently wear them (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'm thinking about wearing a twisted ponytail (with my REAL hair, not a phony pony) as a protected style. I know some of y'all are wondering, "Is Poohbear ever gonna stick to just one hair style?" :grin:

This is what I'll do one day after I wash and condition my hair...
1. saturate hair with leave-in
2. detangle in 4 sections
3. apply glossing polish and oil throughout my hair
4. smooth hair into a ponytail with an ouchless band (might put a "ball-ball" around it)
5. twist ponytail with 2 strands
6. secure end with black rubberband
7. tie edges with a scarf and let it airdry

During the week, I will moisturize my hair and may use gel if my edges get frizzy-looking.
But I have one question...should I leave my hair in the ponytail while I moisturize each day OR should I take it down, moisturize, and put my hair back into a ponytail?

If you are a ponytail wearer, share your ponytail regime. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Poohbear :wave:

I also change my protective styles frequently so you and I are in the same boat. :lol:

I used to wear phony-ponyes just about everyday but the comb in the back of my head (the one that attached to the fake piece) would irate me something fierce. :nono: So I was browsing in Adrienne’s hair album and came across her method of wearing the baggie covered with a stocking, so immediately I thought this is something that I can do. I put the stocking on my hair with cute accessories daily and at night I take the ponytail holder off and leave the bag on. I don’t manipulate my hair at all because I use lots of Vaseline and leave-in conditioner inside.

Here is what I do:

I shampoo my hair once a week and this is the only time that I take my baggie down, yep it is protected 24 hours nearly 7 days per week. After shampooing I put my hair in a ponytail, braid, apply Vaseline, and then my baggie. This is it. I do this and get no breakage whatsoever when my next wash comes around and my come outs to detangle come out nice and easy – with the help of CON and conditioner of course. :p. I LOVE the baggie method.

So answer your question I would leave my ponytail while you moisturize each day, the less manipulation the better I always say. HTH :)

Thanks Cinnabuns! :)

You regime sounds great! :yep: I was wearing a moisturized bun covered wit a small satin cap and I would wear a spirally phony pony over it all week. I would leave my hair in a bun all week up until my next wash. I would just moisturize my edges with S-Curl and maybe use gel if my edges were frizzy but that was it!

Take care!

When you airdry, what kind of comb, or brush do you use for smoothing. I tossed all myhard bristle brushes long ago, and use "white girl" brushes. I have a hard time smoothing my hair when I airdry it..

Hi Poohbear, I used this same method this past weekend.

Friday, I washed, conditioned, put in leave in and WGO then combed it back with a wide tooth comb into a scrunci. The hair that was still out I added Stay so fro and Elasta QP Mango butter and did a two strand twist. I did not secure the ends I just tucked it under the scunci and tied down with a silk scarf.
The next day my hair was smooth and ends were very moist so I just left it in the bun.

On Sunday, I took it out so I could add surge to my scalp and put it back in the same style. I sprayed my ends again with Stay so fro but it really didn't need to. It was still moist.

I agree with Cinn-- leave it in the twist. The less maniuplation the better. I took mine out and when I would twist again so I could Surge my scalp. I would see extra hairs falling. You could just spray the twisted part and tuck it back under without taking it out.

c_octavia said:
When you airdry, what kind of comb, or brush do you use for smoothing. I tossed all myhard bristle brushes long ago, and use "white girl" brushes. I have a hard time smoothing my hair when I airdry it..

I use a baby brush. It is very soft. I use a wide tooth comb to get my hair in a ponytail then a baby brush for very soft smoothing only if needed. Then put on my silk scarf.

c_octavia said:

I may be lost...but, what are "white girl brushes"?? haha. Are they the paddle brushes?

yea, paddle brushes with thoes pastic teeth or bristles whatever you would call them. I call them this,b/c untill a while ago I never knew any one black that used them. Just all my white friends...sorry thats not a verry good discription.

c_octavia said:
Hey! I tossed my scunci boar/nylon mixed bristle brush! And I now use Anne 100% pure bristle brush which is really soft. It still gets my hair smooth just like the hard one but it's not rough on my hair at all. Sometimes I don't need a brush if I detangle really well. I use a K-Cutter Comb to detangle. ;)

lkg4healthyhair said:
Hi Poohbear, I used this same method this past weekend.

Friday, I washed, conditioned, put in leave in and WGO then combed it back with a wide tooth comb into a scrunci. The hair that was still out I added Stay so fro and Elasta QP Mango butter and did a two strand twist. I did not secure the ends I just tucked it under the scunci and tied down with a silk scarf.
The next day my hair was smooth and ends were very moist so I just left it in the bun.

On Sunday, I took it out so I could add surge to my scalp and put it back in the same style. I sprayed my ends again with Stay so fro but it really didn't need to. It was still moist.

I agree with Cinn-- leave it in the twist. The less maniuplation the better. I took mine out and when I would twist again so I could Surge my scalp. I would see extra hairs falling. You could just spray the twisted part and tuck it back under without taking it out.
Great idea! At first I was thinking about untwisting and moisturizing, but I'll just leave it in the ponytail AND the twist. ;)
During the day, I will probably just leave the twist hanging instead of tucking it under. But tucking it under would be a good idea for night wear! :yep:

c_octavia said:
yea, paddle brushes with thoes pastic teeth or bristles whatever you would call them. I call them this,b/c untill a while ago I never knew any one black that used them. Just all my white friends...sorry thats not a verry good discription.
Well, with almost 7 months of new growth, I won't be able to use a paddle brush with my hair! :nono: I would have major ripping and breakage!!! :eek: But if I was relaxed, I would probably use a paddle brush. I used to use one when I was relaxed for smoothing. ;)

Hi Poohbear!! I wear ponytails every single day as a protective style. I condition wash my hair once a week (Saturdays) then pull it up in a ponytail while its still wet, spray surge and put a lot of my oil mixture on my ends (olive oil, sage, rosemary, lavender oil) and put a plastic bag on and secure it with a hair tie and then put my phony pony on. I take the phony pony down at night, but I leave my hair in the ponytail with the plastic bag on. Every morning I spray surge and slick some of my olive oil mixture on my hair and put the phony pony back on. I agree with the other ladies in saying that the less manipulation of the hair, the better it is. This protective styling has helped me to maintain a lot of new growth..

Just a warning about putting hair in a ponytail while wet. It can cause breakage and split ends. I recently had to get a lot of splits cut... and they were all on the top layer of my hair...right where the ponytail holder would be...when I used to airdry my hair. I was using the ouchless kind...that don't have the metal or other pieces that might snag the hair. So if you choose to do it. Be careful! :)

I used this method for the first time last night, after shampooing and conditioning. I applied moisturizer and avocado oil all over before combing my hair back with a wide toothed comb and secured my hair with a wide band cut from a "recycled" pair of black tights, being careful not to wrap it too tightly. I wrapped my pony with a plastic conditioning cap and lightly brushed the crown and sides of my head. I then pulled part of the leg portion from the same recycled tights over my head, down to my neck, like a choker. It actually looked like a choker too, real cute :D Anyway, I pulled the tights up and back on my head, using it to keep everything smoothed down. I wore this to bed and in the morning, I slid the tights over my plastic covered pony so that no plastic would shine through, and attached my afro puff. It was so cute and natural looking! I never would have discovered this method without LHCF. I will post pics sometime this week.

Poohbear, I have not tried the style/method you described, but just wanted to plea with you not to use any rubberbands on your hair, or ball-balls (if I'm correctly picturing what you mean). To avoid breakage, you may also want to let your hair dry a bit before securing it with anything, then use something gentle like cut up black pantyhose as a holder. At first, it may seem that the ponytail band will be too large to secure the end of your ponytail, but if you double it first, then twist it around enough as you are putting it on your hair, it should work well.

I don't wear ponytails, because I don't really like them on me. I'm afraid of breakage/snagging from the elastics even though they are the Goody "Ouchless" ones that are covered with no metal pieces. If I need my hair out of the way, I put it in a braid in the back, and pin it up.

Last edited:
ThursdayGirl said:
Just a warning about putting hair in a ponytail while wet. It can cause breakage and split ends. I recently had to get a lot of splits cut... and they were all on the top layer of my hair...right where the ponytail holder would be...when I used to airdry my hair. I was using the ouchless kind...that don't have the metal or other pieces that might snag the hair. So if you choose to do it. Be careful! :)

The ouchless still pull my hair. I use a scunci--no elastic just material at night when airdrying or just tying my hair down for the night.

ThursdayGirl said:

Yes I am aware of that whole split end thing that could result. I neglected to add that when I put my hair up while its wet its drenched with oil and glycerin and stuff so the hair tie slips right on so to speak. I also use a kind of silk feel hair tie because that is easiest on the hair to 'slide' on. Thankfully I have not experienced any snags or breakage in doing the ponytail method this way. I would like to try doing my ponytail dry, but because my hair is texturized and not quite long enough yet to manipulate into a hair tie when dry, this is my alternative. Hopefully by summertime I can do this whole thing without having my back dripping wet by the time I'm done!

Thanks for the heads up though! :)

Thanks for your advice ladies! :kiss:

After reading the responses on this second page, I've decided NOT to do the twisted ponytail thing! :p I tried it last night just to see how my hair looked. I liked how shiny it looked and silky my hair felt :yep: , but overall I didn't like how the top of the ponytail is thick and thin at the ends. :( I was surprised that this ponytail reached the middle of my shoulderblades, :grin: but it didn't look right on my big head! :lol:

I'll just stick to wearing a bun with a phony pony over it, or rollersetting, or my wig! ;)

Back