Poll: calling all ponytail/bun wearers!!

What do you use to gather your pony??

• Knockers(2 balls on either end with metal piece in middle)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rubberband

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • clip

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • elastic bands(not rubber)

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nomoweavesfome

what do you use to make your ponytail/ bun??

Now that my hair is growing and thickening up I went from a small rubberband(the only thing that will hold my sorry piece of ponytail) to now I can gather and tighten up a ponytail and I used my daughter's knockers(the barrettes that has the 2 big balls on either end with the metal piece in the middle. My problem is that I'm not sure if that metal piece is safe for our hair.

Soo. I was just curious to know what my longer hair froends use to gather their pony??? :grin: :grin:

I think some people use satin scrunchies. I am not there (yet!) but I can only get my ponytail holders around twice now.

-"ouchless" hair bands (they do not have a metal clip)
-satin scrunchie, when I bun it up at night
-hair pins, to make a bun with no holder

I don't think you should use the band with the metal piece, for you or your daughter's hair. They snag the hair and there are hair accessories available without the metal piece.

I have tons of hair and I still prefer those polyurethane type rubberbands. I know they're supposed to be bad for your hair, but I've never seen any breakage if I remove them daily.

I also like the thinner ouchless bands and anything else I can get my hands on. I love chopsticks and I think they look kinda cute. One of my friends showed me how I can twirl my hair up into a bun and use one of those tiny, tiny claws to keep my hair up.

I use small "knockers" for buns and ponytails. (I call them bubbles. :grin: )

These are my favorite for ponytails:

20_l.jpg
157_l.jpg

I can't use scrunchies or elastic bands because my fine hair gets caught in them (maybe I remove them the wrong way). I got rid of those clips with that metal clasp lock too.

Last edited:
I use ouchless hair bands, with no metal or plastic holding it (that broke my hair off).

For those that use satin scrunchies, where can I buy that?

cocoberry10 said:
I use ouchless hair bands, with no metal or plastic holding it (that broke my hair off).

For those that use satin scrunchies, where can I buy that?

Okay, the best that I have seen so far are the Karina brand satin scrunchies. They are five dollar a pop and not too doofy (if you know what I mean). Look for these at your local CVS or something.

Online, I get satin scrunchies from:

www.tenderheaded.com

They are 3 or $8.00 or something like that.

wow - hair pins. I would have never thought of that. I guess I have a long way to go for graduation to that level.

I figured that bo-bo - (the knockers) was bad for the hair but I'm so doggone old school and that's all I know. I did graduate and stopped using the rubberbands( I know that's a big no-no) and started using the snag free elastics. But I was like this probably isn't good either. I'm like what to use???? My hair is definitely NOT long enough for a satin scrunchie. So I guess I'm stuk for now until I gain some inches. :( :( :(

Right now my favorites are satin scrunchies or amish hair pins. I also sometimes use beak clips, claw clips and occasionally I'll use hair sticks.

nomoweavesfome said:
wow - hair pins. I would have never thought of that. I guess I have a long way to go for graduation to that level.

I figured that bo-bo - (the knockers) was bad for the hair but I'm so doggone old school and that's all I know. I did graduate and stopped using the rubberbands( I know that's a big no-no) and started using the snag free elastics. But I was like this probably isn't good either. I'm like what to use???? My hair is definitely NOT long enough for a satin scrunchie. So I guess I'm stuk for now until I gain some inches. :( :( :(

If you can use hairballs (knockers) you should be able to use scrunchies, right? If you can make a ponytail, you can make a ponytail. :confused: I'm confused.

And cichelle, thanks for reminding me of the hair sticks! I'm always in such a rush that I forget that I have them in my drawer.

goldensensation said:
This is the goody clip. I've been using it since elementary school (not the same one, of course... I break em kinda quickly).

tenderheaded_1920_428064

Uh, I see why. :grin:

I like that clip too. I can't wait to use it one day.

I do a CW daily and right after I put my hair in a ponytail w/a metal clip is that a bad thing? I do notice that after a while I have to change the clip because it gets rusty from my wet hair. What should I be using for wet hair? I have pretty thick hair and tons of new growth at the moment.

goldensensation said:
If you can use hairballs (knockers) you should be able to use scrunchies, right? If you can make a ponytail, you can make a ponytail. :confused: I'm confused.
You need more hair for a scrunchie, it's true. Just picture it in your mind and a satin scrunchie takes up more space considerably than most other hair accessories.

We called those things balls when I was growing up. And we'd giggle about it a lot.

For buns, I use large U-shaped hairpins, but only when it's absolutely necessary (like if I'm going to be doing some vigorous exercise) and I'll only use two. Otherwise, I wrap the hair around itself and tuck the tail into the underside of the bun and it will stay on its own.

For ponytails, I use homemade holders cut from the legs of silky-feeling black pantyhose. They are very gentle. :)

goldensensation said:
This is the goody clip. I've been using it since elementary school (not the same one, of course... I break em kinda quickly).

tenderheaded_1920_428064

I use these too. I use them for ponytails and buns. I also use seamless nylon bands.

renee_n_3000 said:
For buns, I use large U-shaped hairpins, but only when it's absolutely necessary (like if I'm going to be doing some vigorous exercise) and I'll only use two. Otherwise, I wrap the hair around itself and tuck the tail into the underside of the bun and it will stay on its own.

For ponytails, I use homemade holders cut from the legs of silky-feeling black pantyhose. They are very gentle. :)

This is what I use, too. I like nylon knee-hi(s). They don't pull my hair out.

goldensensation said:

And cichelle, thanks for reminding me of the hair sticks! I'm always in such a rush that I forget that I have them in my drawer.

well my hair is not long by any means and this is the first time in years it actually fit in a bo- bo securely. Just like 2 months ago, I could barely fit a rubberband on it securely. Now I couldn't possibly fit a scrunchie securely without that joker falling off especially a "satin" one at that!!! Give me 2 more months and maybe...........

I use the Scunci "no dent" pony holders. They're made of a stretchy fabric material, a lot like pantyhose. They're stronger, though.

And don't feel bad, my pony isn't that long either, but we'll get to the promised land someday, my fellow short-haired sista!:grin:

Back