Poll: 3a/b/c's who relax - lye or no lye?

#3a/ 3b/ 3c do you prefer lye or no lye?

• Total voters

nomoweavesfome

I'm doing a comparison with the 4a/4b poll. I'm curious about something.

***Please vote and then state why you prefer lye or no lye.***

I started out with affirm sensitive scalp and switched to the regular lye. I prefer the lye because of the better moisture retention, no frizz/puffing up, no ashy look, porosity issues. My hair gets straight, without the under/overprocessing issues.

I'm natural now, but when I did relax I used no lye. I only heard that lye was really bad and to avoid it, so I did. I never really knew I had a choice, though because I don't remember seeing lye relaxers in the stores. Anyway, my hair never got very straight, despite the fact that I would use a super and apply it root to tip each time and leave it on for the maximum amount of time. :spinning: :nono: I relaxed about four times a year but it's a wonder I had any hair left on my head. Maybe if I had used lye, it would have gotten bone straight, which was what I wanted then. I don't know.

I voted on both polls because I have some 3c hair. It lost its texture completely and frizzed up when I texturized with a lye relaxer :perplexed

It flatirons OK, but I am worried lye makes it process too soon. Feels great, lays smooth with lye but just processes too fast. When I was fully relaxed with No-Lye, my 3c hair never gave me any problems, I was able to process my whole head and it wouldn't overprocess in those areas. I hardly got done with the section with the lye relaxer before it was already significantly straight :nono: in one part. It processes within like 2-3 minutes with lye, like 10 minutes with no-lye.

Before my BC i always used No-Lye and my hair was OK - no major issues.

I then wore my hair natural for 2 years and recently decided to relax again. I decided with no-lye because of all the hype about it being less drying to the hair. I'm due for my 3rd touch-up and well, i am experiencing breakage like i've never known ever since i started using this Affirm. My hair line looks terrible right now and the rest of my hair is very weak and dry. I'm not doing anything really that would warrant this so i'm putting it down to the relaxer.

I will be going back to my old-school hairdresser and let her do her thing with a no-lye cus it worked in the past.

Back