Please review my regime!

Renewed1

Hi Ladies,

I want to make sure that I'm doing everything correctly regarding my regime.

I'm hiding my hair until the summer, buns, ponytails, wigs.

Morning - M-F

S-curl entire head except for ends
Whipped baggy cream on the ends only
Use Olive oil on ends as sealant
Wrapped ends in shower cap
put on ponytail and go

Evening - M - Friday

allow hair to breathe
use Megatek/OCT combo (started the combo a few days ago) but before that I was using Megatek exclusively for over a month.
cross-wrap hair and put on scarf

Saturday - Wash Day

Blackstrap Molasses mixed with cheapie conditioner and olive oil. I use this as a deep conditioner. (this sits on my hair for 1-1/2 hours)
Wash hair with moistrurizing shampoo (Creme of nature or similiar)
Conditioner (moistruizing)
Rollerset (with no setting lotion)
Do Dominican blowout
Once hair is dry use Aphogee oil and rub in hair and go.

For the last week my hair has been breaking off. I know I am 8 weeks post and planning a touch up on 1/3/09. I started using the molasses today; because I remembered once before it helped with my breakage problem.

So ladies, is my regime has too much protein not enough moistruizing, do I need to change anything? Also I should add that I live in Colorado and its EXTREMELY dry here.

Hi Ladies,

I want to make sure that I'm doing everything correctly regarding my regime.

I'm hiding my hair until the summer, buns, ponytails, wigs.

Morning - M-F

S-curl entire head except for ends
Whipped baggy cream on the ends only
Use Olive oil on ends as sealant
Wrapped ends in shower cap
put on ponytail and go

Evening - M - Friday

allow hair to breathe
use Megatek/OCT combo (started the combo a few days ago) but before that I was using Megatek exclusively for over a month.
cross-wrap hair and put on scarf

Saturday - Wash Day

Blackstrap Molasses mixed with cheapie conditioner and olive oil. I use this as a deep conditioner. (this sits on my hair for 1-1/2 hours)
Wash hair with moistrurizing shampoo (Creme of nature or similiar)
Conditioner (moistruizing)
Rollerset (with no setting lotion)
Do Dominican blowout
Once hair is dry use Aphogee oil and rub in hair and go.

For the last week my hair has been breaking off. I know I am 8 weeks post and planning a touch up on 1/3/09. I started using the molasses today; because I remembered once before it helped with my breakage problem.

So ladies, is my regime has too much protein not enough moistruizing, do I need to change anything? Also I should add that I live in Colorado and its EXTREMELY dry here.

I would probably nix the Dominican blowout. They are known to dry the hair out and cause breakage.

It seems fine to me but there's not really one right answer. The only advice I can give you is to just to pay attention to your hair and adjust as you need to.

Have you figured out why your hair is breaking now?

It seems fine to me but there's not really one right answer. The only advice I can give you is to just to pay attention to your hair and adjust as you need to.

Have you figured out why your hair is breaking now?

No, I have no idea why my hair is breaking now. Maybe because its time for my touch-up or I have 2 much protein.

That's why I wanted someone to review my regime to make sure I'm not over doing it.

Oh! and I don't use it, but I've heard a couple people say that MegaTek/OCT causes shedding for while when you first use it. Maybe you could do a search on that thread. I think some ladies are taking garlic pills to help curb the shedding.

No, I have no idea why my hair is breaking now. Maybe because its time for my touch-up or I have 2 much protein.

That's why I wanted someone to review my regime to make sure I'm not over doing it.

Now that I looked closely I noticed two things. First, you're using Scurl every day. I know that a lot of people have said that there hair was very moisturized at first but then actually ended up very dried out.

Second, since you're using MT/OCT you need a serious deep moisturizing conditioner...and I don't think a cheapie mixed with molasses (which is a strengthener) is going to cut it. I think you may have a lot of extra protein that's not being counteracted with a moisturizing DC or a good moisturizer (not Scurl).

If your getting long hairs that are broken, then that could be breakage at the line of demarcation which means that area is not being cared for properly so you may want to search for some ways to combat that. Lots of people here stretch for more than 8 weeks (ie sylver2, tiffers, and others) and they are able to do it without a lot of breakage.

For right now I'd say wait to relax and first find a moisturizing DC to get your hair back up to par and stop the breakage. If you look in the Downright Delicious Deep Conditioning Challenge thread there's a whole list of DC's. Give yourself a couple of weeks of good DC's (maybe 2x a week) so that your hair can be as healthy as possible when you relax.

Now that I looked closely I noticed two things. First, you're using Scurl every day. I know that a lot of people have said that there hair was very moisturized at first but then actually ended up very dried out.

Second, since you're using MT/OCT you need a serious deep moisturizing conditioner...and I don't think a cheapie mixed with molasses (which is a strengthener) is going to cut it. I think you may have a lot of extra protein that's not being counteracted with a moisturizing DC or a good moisturizer (not Scurl).

If your getting long hairs that are broken, then that could be breakage at the line of demarcation which means that area is not being cared for properly so you may want to search for some ways to combat that. Lots of people here stretch for more than 8 weeks (ie sylver2, tiffers, and others) and they are able to do it without a lot of breakage.

For right now I'd say wait to relax and first find a moisturizing DC to get your hair back up to par and stop the breakage. If you look in the Downright Delicious Deep Conditioning Challenge thread there's a whole list of DC's. Give yourself a couple of weeks of good DC's (maybe 2x a week) so that your hair can be as healthy as possible when you relax.

Thank you. I'm going to reduce the S-Curl and my baggying method to see what happens. I'm going to step up my DCing to see if that helps reduce the breakage.

Thank you.

I definitely agree with the need for less protein and more moisture; I also think you need a clarifying shampoo to clean the product residue from your hair. You should also consider the climate/environment - cold weather/ hot room will cause more dryness that will lead to breakage a will coat collars and hats.

I definitely agree with the need for less protein and more moisture; I also think you need a clarifying shampoo to clean the product residue from your hair. You should also consider the climate/environment - cold weather/ hot room will cause more dryness that will lead to breakage a will coat collars and hats.

I was about to say the same thing.
I think you may need to clarify0 you seem to use a lot of products during the week- and that can be okay, but you will need to cleanse properly to reduce buildup. Too many products can be counterproductive in terms of moisture because they begin to coat the strands and prevent adequate penetration of the hair shaft.

Try clarifying and follow up with a good DC.

Maybe you should try a humidifier for home? I know when it gets cold I become a heater freak and it dries out everything- hair, skin, eyes, etc. A humidifier helps 1000 -fold.

hth

Great advice so far. I think you need to Get Rid of that S-Curl and find another spray on leave in.

I left my spray on at home and I'm out of town...So I just put some AO Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner in a bottle, some water, and a conditioner booster. Shook it up new moisturizing leave in. lol Great at moisturizing.

You need a serious deep conditioner. And you may want to prolong wash day by an extra step. Prepoo and DC. Deep Conditioners can go from AO Conditioners to ORS Replenishing Pak.

But, first you need to clarify. To get all that gunk from past products off your strands so that it can fully accept the knew products new moisture. Alot of people probably have products that are good for relaxed hair, but I think going mother nature on this one might be a good idea too. Wash with Baking Soda and Rinse w/ Apple Cider Vinegar than use DC.

Much Favor.

Thank you ladies, I'm going to try everyone's suggestion and keep track on a weekly basis to see what my hair likes/dislikes.

Back