Please read and advise

reddawn770

Hi ladies, I'm new here and have searched for a question like this and have not come across one so here I go... First off, since I'm new and wanna say hi to everyone...:drunk: Live in Atlanta, age 40, shoulder length and healthy hair until recently... My question is after I wash with a diluted shampoo, deep condition, (elasta qp intense) under heat cap for 30minutes, moisturize, (no petroleum or mineral oil) airdry, curl, then seal with coconut oil.... No heat until next wash day, pincurl, and moisturize as needed during the week... Question?? Is my hair shedding because I'm sealing in the heat after I curl?? Tonight I clarified with aloe rid and used UBH conditioner going under the heat cap for 30 minutes... Think this will stop the shedding?? Had white bulbs and short hairs until I thought of the sealing in the heat thing...and I wasn't using a heat protectant... :nono: Hope someone will be kind enough to respond...

Welcome!!!!!!!! :bdance::wave:Are you using any kind of protein? Shedding is natural, it happens everyday ( 50 - 100 hairs) you cant stop it but you can reduce it. Is it alot of shedding? Is it alot or breakage? I never heard of sealing in heat. HTH

Hey tanisha and thanks for responding... on sunday I used a ORS replenishing pack and that didn't help... thought it would balance the moisture/protein... the weekend before that I did a aphogee treatment and that didn't help either... while using UBH in the past I never shed like this but I laid off it during the winter months... didn't think I needed it but maybe I do... yeah it is alot of shedding and breaking waay more than I'm use too... Cathy Howse always mentioned after using heat to apply your moisturizer... that's where the question came from about sealing in heat with a oil... cause oil does not give any moisture... I bought a heat protectant today... IC Fantasia and even though it has cones I'm gonna try it... I'm also gonna get back with UBH regularly... Maybe that's why??:wallbash:

Is it more shedding than you're used to or is it something where it was always there and you're only just noticing?

Do you mean sealing in moisture with an oil? I've never heard of sealing in heat. I read somewhere that you should apply moisture first, then an oil - not the other way around.

How often are you curling your hair? Combing/brushing it?And you should always use a heat protectant with direct heat it really does make a difference.

Hi ladies, I'm new here and have searched for a question like this and have not come across one so here I go... First off, since I'm new and wanna say hi to everyone...:drunk: Live in Atlanta, age 40, shoulder length and healthy hair until recently... My question is after I wash with a diluted shampoo, deep condition, (elasta qp intense) under heat cap for 30minutes, moisturize, (no petroleum or mineral oil) airdry, curl, then seal with coconut oil.... No heat until next wash day, pincurl, and moisturize as needed during the week... Question?? Is my hair shedding because I'm sealing in the heat after I curl?? Tonight I clarified with aloe rid and used UBH conditioner going under the heat cap for 30 minutes... Think this will stop the shedding?? Had white bulbs and short hairs until I thought of the sealing in the heat thing...and I wasn't using a heat protectant... :nono: Hope someone will be kind enough to respond...

Hey tanisha and thanks for responding... on sunday I used a ORS replenishing pack and that didn't help... thought it would balance the moisture/protein... the weekend before that I did a aphogee treatment and that didn't help either...

Welcome! The bolded makes me think protein overload. Did you use a moisturizing protein free real deep conditioner after using the aphogee? That is important, IMO. The next week you used ORS pack which is a light/med protein. That wash, I would have used a moisturizing protein free deep conditioner like Humecto instead of the ORS. Then I would have watched to see what my hair needs possibly were. IMO the curling iron probably exacerbated the problem. If I am not mistaken both Elasta intense and UBH have protein. (aloe vera is a plant protein). Also using silicones may cause you to need to clarify/(chelate if you have hard water) more often. Watch those ingredient labels for protein,HTH.

Hi Ladies thanks so much for your welcomes and replies:drunk:... Hi Evazhair, I only used the elasta after the apohgee...guess that was a big no no??and Hi ksk_xs, I only curl my hair after washing... so that's on wed. and sat. usually... but every 3 days with a deep conditioner every time with heat cap... I've just started finger combing the pin curls every night to put them up and in the morning a lil moisture and seal with coconut oil... relax every 8 weeks with a no lye... hair type is a 4a/4b and spongy in places... and Hi Ekaette, it's was way more than i was use too... this morning i can tell a big difference though... i used giovanni direct leave in last night, moisturized, airdried, curled with IC heat protectant and pincurled... things seem back to normal... All the Ladies of LCHF are a blessing... :drunk: I'm new, but have been reading and learning every day...

You might wanna try cutting down on curling to only once a week. and instead trying another style using less direct heat on your second wash day of the week.

Back