Please, Please, Please Critique My Hair Care Regimen (Weave)

Queen_Earth

I have spent the past three hours searching and reading through previously posted threads so I have done the research b.u.t I need a little further guidance PLEASE...I am about to get a weave on Tuesday and in the past my hair has done well with Sew-ins HOWEVER I had not taken care of the hair underneath and that is something that I want to change this time to acheive even better results by maintaining the new growth and hopefully thickening up my hair....Therefore I will (in this order):

1. Wash, DC, 2 Minute Aphogee Protein, Leave in Condition (Nourishing Cream and Nourish and Shine, and Trim my hair prior to the weave

2. Wash my hair weekly with Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo diluted with water using a applicator bottle

3. Oyin Juice and berries the braids underneath the weave (it will take a while to arrive so in the meantime I will use my concoction of water, coconut oil, shea butter, rosemary oil and glycerin (three or four times a week)

4. Oil the braids with my MoeGro concoction (I am doing this instead of using the Vatika frosting because I am thinking they would be similar) (three or four times a week)

5. MegaTek or OCT my Scalp everyday (Trying to decide between the two)

What do y'all think?

It sounds good to me, I just have a few suggestions.

1. When you wash weekly with diluted poo, you also need to use diluted conditioner after.

2. I don't know if its necessary to oil your braids so often. You might cause buildup and increase matting.

3. Give the Oyin (a new product for you) a trial period before you use it on your braids. Try not to use new products when you have an install. If you know that your homemade mixture works fine for your hair, then stick with it.

I agree with the oil thing - a mist on or watery moisturizer in a spray bottle would be better in the long run. It's easier to spray the braids underneath, and it won't cause build-up the way oils will.

You won't notice it right away, but trust when it's time to take that baby down you'll see everything that got stuck. :barf:

The oil on your hair I would say is not a great idea, it could cause matting. I used a modified Crown & Glory and that worked great for me: (www.growafrohairlong.com)

-I dilute MT (very watery) and use a sponge to target the cornrows nightly/ I alternate the MT with plain mineral water. (Robin recommends braid spray mixed with the brown Infusium 23)

- I use my MN (you can use whatever you're used to) on my scalp

-Once a week/ every 2 weeks I wash with the Profective (foam shampoo can't remember proper name) and then DC with ORS Replenishing conditioner, rinse and leave to dry.

When I use to wear a weave or even braids the best moisturizer I used was Lustrasilks curl activator. If you keep it moisturized, it will grow.

I agree with things that have been posted but I find that it is best not to get your braids too wet and you should let them dry in between like 48 hours and do not sleep on them wet or damp. I think wet hair that never dries and that is braided will matt and tangle like crazy..once my stylist said it was like it was rotting hair. I remember crazy growth like a inch or two below shoulder to past APL in 3.5 months time using a similar regimen that you posted but the hair was stringy, thin, super weak and fragile and it was in a horseshoe pattern because the last row was so severely matted it had to be cut out. Can you imagine that? Long, long sides and no middle like nape length middle..Heed my warning sweetie listen to the other posters. Don't try to super rush the growth phase too much with a sew in or you will be sorry.

Thanks you guys!!! I just didn't want my hair to be dry and brittle when I took my weave down...in the past it has grown a lot (about 1 1/2 inch for the two months) b.u.t my ends and hair was thinner than I would like so I was thinking if this time if I actually washed the hair more than once every 6 weeks and took care of the braids it would be better...I think you all are right and maybe I am planning on doing too much...I remember years ago I used to get microbraids and would oil sheen those all the time and having clumps of dirt stuck in the braids and having clumps of hair come out with it and I DEF don't want that again...since I can't DC I think I will do the diluted shampoo and condish, and then my regular leave in spray on my braids one wash day (and maybe sit under the dryer for a while so that the hair mostly dries and doesn't mildew or "rot" and then maybe just butter my scalp with the nourish and shine once a week or oil it when it feels dry

I have spent the past three hours searching and reading through previously posted threads so I have done the research b.u.t I need a little further guidance PLEASE...I am about to get a weave on Tuesday and in the past my hair has done well with Sew-ins HOWEVER I had not taken care of the hair underneath and that is something that I want to change this time to acheive even better results by maintaining the new growth and hopefully thickening up my hair....Therefore I will (in this order):

1. Wash, DC, 2 Minute Aphogee Protein, Leave in Condition (Nourishing Cream and Nourish and Shine, and Trim my hair prior to the weave

2. Wash my hair weekly with Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo diluted with water using a applicator bottle

3. Oyin Juice and berries the braids underneath the weave (it will take a while to arrive so in the meantime I will use my concoction of water, coconut oil, shea butter, rosemary oil and glycerin (three or four times a week)

4. Oil the braids with my MoeGro concoction (I am doing this instead of using the Vatika frosting because I am thinking they would be similar) (three or four times a week)

5. MegaTek or OCT my Scalp everyday (Trying to decide between the two)

What do y'all think?
I think you need a moisturizing shampoo. Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo is a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos strip the hair and shouldnt be used on a weekly basis

^^^^ Oh crap I have been using that weekly/every ten days....I didn't know...b.u.t I have the Giovanni moisturizing one and my hair doesn't feel any different between the two...maybe I will go back to Keracare moisturizing shampoo

Sounds Good Queen Bee so good luck ..I think I'm gonna break my weave habit and start using wigs..I've been wearing weaves for 15 years and I love them but my good friend and her cousin grew their hair out like in record time..wearing half wigs and full wigs..I'm talking barely shoulder to midback length in under a year. No great regimen either..in fact she calls me for advice. lol

^^^ I know...if I would have known about Lacefronts before I ordered this hair I would have gotten the wig instead of the weave...b.u.t that's ok I am going to use the next two months to learn more about Lacefronts and then around my Bday (June)...IT'S ON!!!

^^^ I know...if I would have known about Lacefronts before I ordered this hair I would have gotten the wig instead of the weave...b.u.t that's ok I am going to use the next two months to learn more about Lacefronts and then around my Bday (June)...IT'S ON!!!
I think it's a great idea that your going to take time to learn about the Lacefronts I hear they can be a godsend to some people. I suggest you go onto ClairHair.com or HairSisters.com and consider purchasing a cheap synthetic lacefront on sale..just to play with or practice with just to get the concept down before you spend the big bucks on the high quality ones..because for the price of those bad boys you could pay rent:lachen::lachen:So I would'nt want you to regret it:yep:

Put your diluted shampoo and conditioner in applicator bottles. This will help you get them right onto your scalp and hair because you can direct where the product goes. I do this whether my hair is weaved or not, b/c in the past I wasted alot of shampoo trying to get my scalp clean only to get out and find that I missed places.

Back