Please help this newbie

Whirledpeas

Please help this newbie develope a regimine

I've been a lurker for a while as I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair! There are soo many regimes,recommendations, and other information that I feel overwhelmed. :huh: My hair goal is make my hair stronger, thicker, and just healthier overall. My hair is "natural" but I am a recovering color addict. I've been color free for over seven months now. I even cut my hair to chin length last summer to get rid of most of my color damaged hair.

My hair vices:

Permanent Color. I've regularly colored my hair for the past 10 years and I believe that it has gradually thinned out my hair.

Too Much Heat. Since I'm "natural" but always wear my hair straight, I flat iron my hair at least once a week.

Hair challenged. I do NOT know how to do my own hair (well). I usually spend two hours trying to straighten my hair only to end up wearing it in a bun.

My potential plan of action for my 3c(?) hair:

No more permanent color
Limit flat-ironing to 1/month max.
Have it roller-set 1 or 2x/week
Cowash every other day
Develop a henna regimen

I'm also considering a BKT but I have mixed feelings. The reason I'm considering it because I hope it would help my hair fight against humidity, however, I don't want to put my fine hair through a harsh process.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Pre-Color Hair

Color at it's worst:

Last edited:
Whirledpeas

welcome girlie :) please don't do bkt some members have had issues with it to the point of hair loss, thinning and breakage. you already have damged hair so that may make things worse. i would suggest the following:

wash every 7-10 days with a no or low sulfate shampoo
condition after with a ceramide based conditioner
style do roller sets, braidouts, flexi-rod and bantu knots as a set for the hair. wigs are also a great option as they are low manipulation.
once a month: do a heavy duty protein treatment
moisturize and/or seal 1-4 times a week or as needed

i like mill creek keratin condish and a friend of mine likes the biotin poo and condish from them. aubrey organics conditioners ( j.a.y, honeysucklerose and gbp) are excellent. redkens all soft and butter treat poos and condishes are great as well.
i like the komaza care protein strengthener for a hardcore treatment. mill creek and aubrey's products are cheapest on www.vitacost.com and www.vitaminshoppe.com. komaza products can be found on www.komazahaircare.com

i truly hope this helps ya and feel free to pm me anytime :) hhg

:welcome3::newbie: I first think you need to breathe lol and I think you need to decide if you will be wearing your hair curly or in a rollerset all the time. because you said you would be co washing 2x a week or so if you do that would you be doing your own rollerset after that? or will you be wearing your hair curly? I think you will need to get use to seeing your own texture of hair and fall in love with it. then you will need to find the right products for your hair, like find out what your hair likes and dislikes.

it too me a min to do that. but now I love my hair and love the products that I have stuck with. I henna every month and getting ready to start doing it twice a month.

I wish I could roller set my hair myself but I'm too hair challenged to wear my hair curly without the help of a professional. If I didn't work in a professional setting, I would be more open to experimenting with curly styles that I did on my own. I can't show up looking like a hot mess.

@southerncitygirl. Thank you for your suggestions! I think your suggestion makes sense considering the flaw in my proposed plan that Shadiyah pointed out. I'm going to look into the brands you suggested.

@Shadiyah: Thank you for your thoughts! I didn't consider the fact that cowashing would ruin my roller-set. I guess that means I'll only wash my hair before having the roller sets, is that the worst thing in the world?

The idea of going without a flat iron is anxiety producing but I know with help from members like you I'll get the support I need to stay strong :)

I wish I could roller set my hair myself but I'm too hair challenged to wear my hair curly without the help of a professional. If I didn't work in a professional setting, I would be more open to experimenting with curly styles that I did on my own. I can't show up looking like a hot mess.

I totally understand that, but I think it would be worth it to you to try to experiment on the weekends or whenever you don't have work the next day. It seems daunting at first, but you can only get better with practice. You might also want to consider experimenting with braidouts. You don't want to be in a position of relying too much on a stylist or heat tools to get results you can live with and maybe even come to love.

Welcome to the posting side> you've got some good advice.

So basically wash and DC at least once a week use more light protein based conditioners since you have colour and flat iron infact I suggest you stick to an Ateyaa Aphogee regimen for two to three months no matter what anyone says about her if you are processed this really helps.

After the initial period you may need to re-evaluate your regimen and maybe incorporate more moisture etc depending on what your hair needs.

Also try to do your hair on Fridays so you have the weekend to work on the styling as you cut down your direct heat usage (if that's what you want).

HHG

My suggestion to you is that you practice w/styling your hair. I've tried new things with my hair & my hair came out looking a hot mess but I continued to try until I got it right. I have learned to cornrow, roller set, flat twist (still a work in progress), trim, and self install weave all with practice and patience.

There are many videos out there that can help you & offer some great tutorials. A good time to practice on your hair is when you have no where to go and you have some time on your hands to try to figure it out. I believe in you! :)

good job cutting off the color damage
Your new hair "lifestyle" looks good considering you'll be cutting your heat usage to once a month and you won't be coloring anymore. Rollersetting is good, but I wouldn't recommend it twice a week. There's a lot of wet hair manipulation going on to rollerset the hair and too much of that isn't good.

My recommendation would be to start off slowly. I know it's hard to do that with all the new information and options before you. But I've found it the most helpful to incorporate new things one at a time. That way it's easier to isolate what's working and what's not.

I would also suggest that once you find what works for you, keep it simple and stick with it. B/c when you get in it for the long haul when it comes to caring for your help, your chances for success (I think) go up the more you can have things you do in your routine that come to you naturally and mostly effortlessly. Which is not to say put in no effort. Things that seem awkward in the beginning will become easier.

Finally, I would work on perfecting my technique first more than searching for the "miracle" product. B/c two people can use the exact same products, but the way they use them and the other things they do can make all the difference. For example, reducing combing and brushing, sleeping in a silk or satin scarf, reducing the use of heat, learning how to detangle with minimal hair loss, etc.

Thank you all again for your comments and well wishes. I really appreciate all of the advice. I cowashed my hair today using atlien11's moisturizing conditioner concoction and strand twisted my hair. I'm letting it air dry, I'll post pics when it dries, tomorrow.

ETA: Could someone tell me what hair type I have?

Last edited:
My two strand twist was a failure, however, I think my goal should be to search for the perfect product that will enhance my natural curl. I want to thank you all for getting me started on my HHJ. I think less is more when it comes to my hair.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate it :)

Last edited:
With good holding products I think your twist outs will only look better.
With the great suggestions given by the other ladies, don't forget internal health so as to produce stronger hair.

And.. your so pretty. :^)

Back