please help...patchy hair breakage

Neen

Okay, I haven't been here in a while but I am so desperate. Has anyone here experienced breakage in the center of the scalp. It doesn't break until a month or so after I've had a relaxer, like once I start to get some new growth. My hair breaks in circular patches and has been since the birth of my son (I was 18) and I'm now 26. The hair is about the length of this line ___, while everywhere else is 2-3 inches long. I have a relaxer and it seems to break right where the relaxed hair and new growth meet. Plus, that area itches like crazy! Is it a fungus? Dermatitis? My old dermatologist said it was perm burn but I've had overprocessed hair before and this ain't it. Can you help me?

Neen said:
Okay, I haven't been here in a while but I am so desperate. Has anyone here experienced breakage in the center of the scalp. It doesn't break until a month or so after I've had a relaxer, like once I start to get some new growth. My hair breaks in circular patches and has been since the birth of my son (I was 18) and I'm now 26. The hair is about the length of this line ___, while everywhere else is 2-3 inches long. I have a relaxer and it seems to break right where the relaxed hair and new growth meet. Plus, that area itches like crazy! Is it a fungus? Dermatitis? My old dermatologist said it was perm burn but I've had overprocessed hair before and this ain't it. Can you help me?

Wow
Have you tried speaking to another dermatologist? Or even a good hairdresser that may have encounted a similar problem?

It may be an idea to reduce chemical treatments on the area and start taking some kind of supplement (Biotin, MSM, Flaxseed oil?)to increase the health of your har follicles.

I would also wash regularly and massage with some kind of natural oil, till you get a diagnosis...

Neen said:
Same here, I have struggled with this for 3 years I get natural hair growth that pushes the relax out of the way every 6 weeks I am convinced also that area of your crown scalp has been damaged by hot glue and too strong of a a relaxer on my scalp and when it grows out it is a different texture than the rest of your hair, do not relax that area, the only thing that has helped me was wearing a weave, my braider would braid that small area and apply a weave on stop, my hair would grow like crazy the longest was 4 inches, then I would find a crazy stylist whom would think it's strong enough to relax then I have to start all over again this has happen 3x's it's my own stupid fault because I to want to believe it's time to relax I have this false sense of hope that area is normal again and it's not.
Get it braided and wear a weave on top and keep it moisterized until it grows at least 6 inches and press that area I will not relax it again not ever!

Henrietta said:
Wow
Have you tried speaking to another dermatologist? Or even a good hairdresser that may have encounted a similar problem?

It may be an idea to reduce chemical treatments on the area and start taking some kind of supplement (Biotin, MSM, Flaxseed oil?)to increase the health of your har follicles.

I would also wash regularly and massage with some kind of natural oil, till you get a diagnosis...

I have heard of a few ladies with the exact same problem. I agree with Henrietta. Esp with the bold parts. I really hope you get it figured out.

I have had that problem for the last 4 years. I went to a dermatologist years back and he gave me some medicine (look at my past posts from a few years ago). I am officially done with relaxing. I plan to press my hair from now on.

Thank you so much ladies. Maybe there's some hope after all. I just have a hard time letting go of the relaxers:). I go natural for a few months and then I can't take it anymore...

I forgot to mention-I put water on the area this morning and some Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner to moisturize it and it got rid of the itch. Part of me wonders if the relaxer is causing that area to get overly dry and then the scratching causes the hair to break. I read on the American Academy of Dermatology website that continuous scratching can cause you to 'scrape' the hair down to nothing and eventually cause it to break. I'll go find the article. What do you guys think?

Here's the article. Sorry if this was already posted.

CHICAGO (July 22, 2005) – Each day, Americans are bombarded with advertisements for products and services to improve their hair. While some of these products may enhance appearance, they also can contribute to hair loss. August is Hair Loss Awareness Month and a good time to take stock of your locks. Breaking through the myths of hair loss and hair care is the first step to maintaining beautiful hair for life.

Speaking today at ACADEMY ’05, the American Academy of Dermatology’s summer scientific meeting, dermatologist Zoe D. Draelos, M.D., clinical associate professor in the department of dermatology at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, N.C., dispelled traditional myths about hair care and discussed how poor hair care can contribute to hair loss.

“Hair loss affects 80 million American men and women and while it isn’t life-threatening, it can cause emotional distress,” said Dr. Draelos. “Disease, genetic predisposition and even poor cosmetic grooming practices all cause hair loss. Even simple changes in your hair care routine can result in healthier hair.”

Myth #1 – Dandruff does not contribute to hair loss.
Dandruff is caused by a fungus known as malazzesia globosa. This fungus is commonly found floating in the air which is why dandruff can be treated, but not cured. In addition to the scaling which characterizes dandruff, the condition also can lead to hair loss.

Studies have shown that with only 90 minutes of continuous scratching by the fingernails, it is possible to remove all of the cuticular scale, a protective covering on individual hairs, off of a hair shaft. This loss leaves the hair shaft weakened and permanently damaged, making it easily susceptible to breakage and hair loss.

“The most effective dandruff shampoos and conditioners contain zinc pyrithione,” advised Dr. Draelos. “These ingredients leave behind thin plate-like pieces of medicine on the scalp to prevent regrowth of the fungus, thus acting as a preventive measure for both dandruff and the hair loss associated with scratching.”

Myth #2 – Prescription shampoos treat scalp diseases, but also damage hair.
The two most common scalp diseases are dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, which is characterized by both redness and scaling. “People often view products that treat these conditions as harsh and medicinal,” explained Dr. Draelos. “These misconceptions have led many people to choose to live with the scalp itching rather than treat it with what they fear are harmful chemicals.”

Technological advances now allow prescription shampoos to have the necessary medication to treat dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis while also containing the same mild cleansers found in cosmetic shampoos. “These potent prescription antifungals remain on the scalp, preventing reoccurrence and ultimately helping keep hair healthy,” said Dr. Draelos.

Myth #3 – As hair turns gray, permanent waves and color treatments should be stronger.
As people age, they lose melanin, the pigment that gives the hair color. To retain a youthful look, many people dye their hair. Hair dye interacts with the melanin already present in hair to produce the final hair color, but gray hair is less likely to dye as dark as hair that contains more melanin. Also, as hair ages, the hair shaft becomes finer, and thinner hair shafts are more susceptible to chemical damage from permanent waves and coloring.

“Hair growth slows with age, meaning the same hair is often chemically treated multiple times. The more the hair is treated, the more damage is done and the more chance for hair breakage,” stated Dr. Draelos. “As hair ages, perming and coloring solutions should be weaker and be left in contact with the hair for as short a period as possible.”

Myth #4 – Blow drying hair with heat gives the hair body.
Blow drying hair is a common morning ritual for many people. While it is a quick, convenient way to dry and style hair, blow drying damages hair as the high heat from a blow dryer can actually boil the water in the hair shaft leaving it brittle. In addition, vigorous towel rubbing or combing of wet hair also can cause hair loss, since wet hair is more elastic and more vulnerable to breakage than dry hair.

“Rather than blow dry, the hair should be allowed to air dry, with styling and combing occurring once the hair is partially dry,” recommended Dr. Draelos. “This will provide excellent body with less opportunity for hair shaft damage.”

“Hair Loss Awareness Month is a good time to refine your hair care routine. Keep your hair healthy by eating a well-balanced diet, avoiding overprocessing with chemicals and using styling tools that are flexible and easily slip through hair,” advised Dr. Draelos. “If you are experiencing itching or hair loss, visit your dermatologist to explore a treatment that will work best for you.”

Headquartered in Schaumburg, Ill., the American Academy of Dermatology (Academy), founded in 1938, is the largest, most influential, and most representative of all dermatologic associations. With a membership of more than 14,000 physicians worldwide, the Academy is committed to: advancing the diagnosis and medical, surgical and cosmetic treatment of the skin, hair and nails; advocating high standards in clinical practice, education, and research in dermatology; and supporting and enhancing patient care for a lifetime of healthier skin, hair and nails. For more information, contact the Academy at
1-888-462-DERM (3376) or www.aad.org.

I had this same problem for years, but no longer!!! I feel your pain, Neen, but there is hope! :) This is going to be a little long, so please bear with me.

I started going to a great stylist when this first happened after a disastrous relaxer at some random beauty salon. The hair on my crown would break at the line of demarcation. It was so short at this section of my hair that I could not even pinch it with my thumb and index finger. It was bad because the spot was practically bald.:(

I got tired of my hair dropping off my head like pine needles, and went to another salon that specializes in problem hair. My stylist looked at my hair and scalp and first prescribed a strict regimen of scalp pore cleaning, every two weeks. So, I went to her salon for pore cleanings and a roller set every two weeks for months. I was soon able to cut back to having pore cleanings two weeks after a retouch which I still do to this day. Side Note: Pore cleanings will help to remove the deeply embedded residual chemicals that could have leeched into the scalp. It’s best to do it soon after chemical services so the chemicals are not lingering in the pores. (But not so soon that you irritate your scalp. One to two weeks after a chemical service is good)

Long story short: the cure for my Breakage Blues was regular pore cleanings, good roller sets, stretching relaxers out, deep protein treatments for strength, and texturizing to minimize line-of-demarcation breakage.

Now, my stylist tells me she looks at my crown area and there is no problem! :D But, I still baby that area with extra moisture (I love S-Curl), weekly protein treatments, daily massages with tea tree (or other essential oil), and I avoid combing the area down to the scalp at the first sign of tangling because it weakens the area. I'm still stunned when I lift that section of my hair, and remember when there was hardly anything there to pinch, let alone lift, and curl, and braid, and moisturize, and...... :lol:

Good Luck!!! :up:

Neen said:
Thank you so much. What do you use for pore cleanings?

I use Dudley Q’s makes a Scalp Antiseptic (which smells suspiciously like original gold-colored Sea Breeze facial toner, which may probably work just as well :scratchch ). I believe Organic Root Stimulator also has a whole pore cleaning system (with products, a scrub brush, etc.) that I’ve been eyeballing at the store, but have not tired yet. I read the package and it has very detailed instructions, if you’d like to try that instead.

This is my current routine (I no longer have to go to the salon to do it unless it is after chemical services):

Supplies:
Dudley Q Scalp Antiseptic (or other scalp antiseptic)
Several cotton balls
A plastic cap
A bonnet or hood dryer (or a hot, moist towel if you do not own one)
A hand towel or paper towels to catch any drips.
Optional: A cape or towel to drape around your shoulders to catch drips.

Steps (w/ Notes):
  1. I gently detangle my DRY hair, and part my hair into sections. If you have dryness problems, try pre-pooing, but keep the pre-poo product off of your scalp.
  2. Apply the Scalp Antiseptic directly to the entire scalp using a cotton puff (just like applying toner to your face). I was always a little more attentive to my “problem” areas. ;)
  3. Then, I place a plastic cap over my hair and sit under a warm dryer for about 20 minutes to open up the pores. Keep your paper or hand towels on-hand because, as with any product, the antiseptic may drip into your face if too much was used which may sting and irritate eyes. You also don’t want any drips down your neck (which is just plain uncomfortable, but will not cause any harm :lol: ).
  4. I then immediately cleanse with a clarifying shampoo to remove build up from the scalp.
  5. I follow up with a deep, deep moisturizing conditioner treatment to restore the hair. A reconstuctor may also be used, if needed, but make sure to restore your moisture balance after.
  6. Proceed with normal styling.
* If you don't have a hood or bonnet dryer (or don't want to use one), use a towel soaked in hot water. Wring it out and wrap it around your head, then place the pastic cap over it. This will create a nice steam treatment to open your pores. Whwn the towel begins to cool, re-soak the towel and repeat for 20 minutes.

I hope I captured everything. It’s pretty easy and well worth the extra step. If you clarify regularly (once a month or so), this may be something to try on that day. :)

I really need to do an ingredients comparison on the Dudley’s and Sea Breeze and see if I can save a few bucks!:ohwell: :lol:

I really hope this helps because I've been there! :) :Rose:

I just pulled this info. about the scalp antiseptic from the Dudley web site:

http://www.dudleyq.com/Products/Haircare/shampoos.html

Scalp & Skin Antiseptic 8oz.
Dudley’s Scalp & Skin Antiseptic is a soothing pre-shampoo treatment that loosens dry epidermis from the scalp that causes flaking and itching. It also removes odor-causing bacteria and excess oil and is a highly effective treatment that kills or retards the growth of bacteria on the scalp and skin and helps control dandruff. Scalp and Skin Antiseptic stimulates the scalp for a better shampoo and conditions the skin, making it feel soft and refreshed with four botanical oils: clove oil, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil and camphor oil.

thanks for the info Legend! I agree the problem is with the scalp that produces the damaged scalp thus the damaged hair. I am always scratching and itching inthat area as well which makes things worse. I am going to try witch hazel for now and sticking with my plan to not relax for the winter but I am so glad to see that if I chose to go back to relaxers this method of yours is a good alternative.

Neen said:
I have 100% tea tree oil. Do you think that would work?

Hmmm. I really only use Tea Tree oil at night (I massage some in my crown area as maintenance, as it is a mild antiseptic) and have never tried it for a pore cleaning. However, if you were to use it as a part of a pore cleaning treatment, perhaps it would be best to put some in a carrier, like Witch Hazel, so it’s easier to apply?

I did get the ingredients of both the Dudley’s and Sea Breeze, and found them to be very similar:

Dudley Q’s Scalp & Skin Antiseptic Pre-Shampoo (I paid $7.79 at a local BSS for 8 oz.)
Active Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40
Other Ingredients: Deionized Water, Polysorbate 20, Clove Oil, Peppermint Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Camphor Oil, Boric Acid.

Sea Breeze Astringent Original (about $4.99 for 10 oz. bottle)
Water, Alcohol Denat, Camphor (0.68%), Peppermint (Mentha Piperita) Oil, Clove (Eugenia Caryophyilus), Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Eugenol, Sodium Benzoate, FD&C Yellow 5 , D&C Orange 4

The scalp antiseptic sounds very drying, but I’ve never found it to be and my hair is very sensitive to alcohol-based products. I guess the water and oils counteract the drying effects of the alcohol. Whatever's in it, the scalp antiseptic really does wonders to keep the follicles clear and hair growing healthily. You may notice some increased itching if you do choose to use an antiseptic pore cleaner, but (as it was explained to me) it is likely just hair re-growing as it pushes through your scalp and it is temporary. ;)

iCandey said:
thanks for the info Legend! I agree the problem is with the scalp that produces the damaged scalp thus the damaged hair. I am always scratching and itching inthat area as well which makes things worse. I am going to try witch hazel for now and sticking with my plan to not relax for the winter but I am so glad to see that if I chose to go back to relaxers this method of yours is a good alternative.

You are very welcome, iCandey! :) As I just posted above, try adding an essential oil like Tea Tree or Peppermint to the Witch Hazel to create an environment to help open your pores and stimulate your follicles...kind of like Vicks VapoRub, only for your scalp! :p :)

Back