Please help me, I dont want to give in!!

LucieLoo12

So I've been going natural for about 8 mths now(I BC about a month ago) and I told myself that I would wear sew ins until my year and a half mark. But I really want to wear my nautral hair out! Some of you may say, "Well just wear it", but I can't.I want to reach the year and half mark I set. When I take my sew ins out, I see so much fullness and thickness, but I want more length..

How did you ladies encourage yourself to keep "hiding" your hair until your set goal? I'm getting the "itchies".....

Here's some encouragement for you (Just read the first post): http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=5635

Just think how much more fun it'll be to enjoy your hair later. Also think of how accomplished you'll feel to have lived up to your goal of keeping your hair hidden. Maybe those challenge threads of "hide your hair until/for..." will inspire you. Find one and join the party!

I never went through a period of hiding my hair. When i BC'd it looked straight weird...but i didn't care...because it was ME. Why should i hide myself? And anybody who had something slick to say slowly shut their faces as it grew out...now others are contemplating going natural and are curious about it.

Wear that hair girl! Let it breathe! GIVE IN!!:lol:

Last edited:
:lol: :lachen:

You suppose to be encouraging me!!! :drunk:...But I am tempted but after reading the post Nonie have me, I will hold out!....

I never went through a period of hiding my hair. When i BC'd it looked straight weird...but i didn't care...because it was ME. Why should i hide myself? And anybody who had something slick to say slowly shut their faces as it grew out...now others are contemplating going natural and are curious about it.

SmilingElephant

How long were you natural before you BC?

I think that's what I am worried about, the "weirdness" of how I am going to look with this fro:look:

@SmilingElephant, I don't think she's "hiding" it coz she's ashamed of it. LOL I think folks on the forum "hide" their hair as a protective styling regimen and also so they have something to look forward to--just like hiding or holding Christmas presents and waiting to open them on Christmas day. So I understand OP; I'd hate myself if I didn't stick to a plan I made for no other good reason than I was too curious, impatient, nosy.... IMO, not a good enough reason to take the cake out the oven before it's baked.

ETA: I just saw this:

@SmilingElephant
[...]I think that's what I am worried about, the "weirdness" of how I am going to look with this fro:look:

So I guess you're right SmilingElephant. I am the one who misunderstood why OP was hiding her hair. OK, I'ma leave now before I hurt myself coz I am clearly not paying attention in class.

Last edited:
I'm hiding my hair for 18mo to 2years. It'll be 1 year in July and time has flown by. If you just stick to it and find some cute styles w/your sew in, you should be satisfied for the time being. Also, having a kinky curly install really helps me to stay in the install. It is also helping me to learn how to deal w/kinky hair b/c it is so much like the real deal. My Bohyme Brazillian (Bobraz) Kinky hair needs moisture, regular detangling, and daily maintenance just like my real hair. It can be worn as a blow out, straightented, or twists and braidouts just like the real deal. I am also taking care of my real hair underneath w/weekly DC's and regular moisture. This aught to keep you busy. Here is a link to the longest running thread I think on any forum, this hair is so popular: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-ultimate-bohyme-brazilian-post_topic139617.html

SmilingElephant

How long were you natural before you BC?

I think that's what I am worried about, the "weirdness" of how I am going to look with this fro:look:

Do you mean in terms of length? If so, my hair was Collarbone length stretched but it would shrink up alllllllllll the way above my ears....while the front was more straight and i looked like a bird!:grin:

If that's not what you're asking...:lol:....i transitioned from a relaxer for 8 months:yep: I had been relaxed all my life.

ETA: I think what helped is that i turned the weirdness into something edgy looking...i did that for like the first 2 months...and then i STAYED in the earring section in the stores...big earrings helped me get through that super awkward stage.:yep: And then i just started wearing puffs....your hair should look different every 3 months...whether in thickness or growth...so for me to wear a puff almost everyday wasn't to much of a deal....i still wear em!

Last edited:
Just look at all the ladies here who believe in hiding their hair and have seen results. Thats what I use as my motivation.

I love to wear my hair out too; love to feel it and wash it and play in it. But that hasn't gotten me the length (retention) that I really want. So I realized its time to buckle down and stick with the plan. You may even want to get a buddy to help you.

Thanks so much ladies!!

'(these are random people I dont know, but it gives u an idea of my length and goal length)

This is my hair length now

images

This is how I want it to be when I wear it out

images
:lick:

Sooooooo dont know if its possible but we will see :look:

My biggest concern is that you don't learn your new kinky/curly hair; however, if you have a kinky curly install then you get a chance to get familiar w/the new techniques that come w/maintaining, caring for, and styling this type of hair.

You know, this is sooo true. The only time I deal with my natural hair is when I am washing it and DCing before my sew in. This last time I was thinking (while trying to detangle) what am I going to do with this hair....lol. But you right! I may start off with getting kinky curl install

My biggest concern is that you don't learn your new kinky/curly hair; however, if you have a kinky curly install then you get a chance to get familiar w/the new techniques that come w/maintaining, caring for, and styling this type of hair.

I am doing the exact opposite of you, but know what it means to want to accomplish your goal. I decided to wear my hair out for 18 months after my BC to get to know, and be tired of, my hair. I have 8 months to go. I BCed after an 8 month transition and it was awkward, but I didn't care. I got an inch or so cut off and a shape up a few months after my BC and didn't have any problems with the shape after that.

But after the 18 months, it will be 12 months of yarn braids. I figured it might be more beneficial for me to learn my hair when it is shorter and hide my hair when my ends are older.

Hold on to your goal! Last month I wanted to braid it so bad, but I held out.

Back