Please help me figure this out.

yodie

Hi Ladies,

I have a hair problem and I'm not really sure what caused it. Please help if you can.

I'm very, very tight 4b. I noticed recently that my hair started breaking off on the ends in curly curls. I describe it this way because I've been wearing my hair twisted underneath a wig for over a year.

To make a long story short, I have damage and I don't know how it happened or why. I noticed this about three months ago (the ends of my hair breaking). I pressed it straight and it seems as if the breakage has started eating up the shaft of my hair. UGH. All of my progress down the drain.

Here's what I have been doing consistently the last couple of months:
1. Using WEN cleansing condish
2. Taking MSM
3. Using Mega-Tek/Ovation
4. Haven't used protein condish/treatment in over a year.

Now, some of my tight 4b coils are hanging really loose, as if they have been relaxed. My hair is breaking and I don't know why.

I started doing protein treatments within the last two weeks, but the damage is done. Protein does make my strands feel stronger, but does anyone know why the curl pattern is lost in some of my strands?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Hi yodie im not an expert but from what you listed that you are using, What are you using for moisture? I don't use megatek but i know that the ladies have to up thier moisture when they use it. I hope someone else can come and offer advise. And im sorry that your going through this.

I agree.... you defintiely need to up the moisture. I would also suggest clarifying (have you used a clarifying shampoo at all?). I know this probably won't help the breakage, but you may need to remove some product build-up from your distressed strands... Also, a good moisturizing DC will help put you on track... I know this won't solve your problem today, but it can help save your strands.... OH, one last thing, ladies who use OCT and/or Megatek also opt to take garlic pills to help stop the breakage from protein overload.

How often do you dust your ends? The ends might be breaking because they are split. Somtimes splits ride up the strand. Now I am not sure about why it is straight in parts. But if you study the pics at the link below of how split ends can lead to hair damage, maybe they can shed some light. (I like to dust regularly to keep the split ends from riding up the shaft.)
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_69.htm
Please note they do mention you need to condition your hair to help protect it. I always think of this as moisturizing conditioners.

How has your diet been? How is your health? Since the discussion of hair change in terminally ill people, I've started to think that we cannot just ignore our health when anything changes, even if it might be what some people were hoping for.

Hope you find an explanation. Nothing sucks like not knowing the reason behind any change.

I'm not an expert either...but I think Ovation and MT are protein treatments. Heavy protein at that. I mean, that's why I had to stop using them because they kept giving me protein overload (and the associated hair loss). How are you incorporating moisture into your regimen?

I think there is talk in the MT/OCT thread about it loosening curl patterns. I know my NG was a lot softer/looser during the month that I used it. There is even a thread about vitamins changing curl pattern where it was suggested that MSM could do that.

As for your ends, how are you securing the twists (or do they stay put on their own)? Is your wig possibly causing friction, or do you wear a cap under it? If so is it a nylon stocking cap (which might catch and pull your tight 4b strands) or are you using a satin cap?

I'm just tossing ideas out there.

Could be protein overload. Megatek has a lot of protein so if you're using it you need to step up your moisture a lot (deep conditioning, moisturizers, etc.).....and also cut back on any other products that contain protein.

The curl pattern could be lost because of heat damage. I saw you mention pressing your hair. That could be the culprit. It's very easy to get heat damage. How often to you press or use direct heat?

Try focusing on your moisture. This could help the breakage and it may help with the heat damage you may have. Before doing this start with a fresh slate....clarify first. I don't think you need anymore protein for right now.

You need to come up with a new and better hair care regimen that is more suited for your natural hair pronto!
Look at what you're doing to your hair. You keep it twisted with a foreign substance sitting on top of your hair (wig) which is robbing your natural hair of every drop of moisture. And you over-dosing your hair with so much protein. All that protein is usually not needed for natural hair.

Last edited:
Hi yodie im not an expert but from what you listed that you are using, What are you using for moisture? I don't use megatek but i know that the ladies have to up thier moisture when they use it. I hope someone else can come and offer advise. And im sorry that your going through this.

I always focused on moisture. I wasn't that great at DC'ing my hair, but I used Pantene Relaxed and Natural alot and WEN as my deep conditioner. Dang, I always heard about the ladies having problems with protein overload, but I never thought this was my issue. Maybe that's it. I stopped using MT/OVT, but the damage is done.

I agree.... you defintiely need to up the moisture. I would also suggest clarifying (have you used a clarifying shampoo at all?). I know this probably won't help the breakage, but you may need to remove some product build-up from your distressed strands... Also, a good moisturizing DC will help put you on track... I know this won't solve your problem today, but it can help save your strands.... OH, one last thing, ladies who use OCT and/or Megatek also opt to take garlic pills to help stop the breakage from protein overload.

I definitely used a clarifier, but not always from day one. I've been using a clarifying shampoo for the last 4 months or so, but only once a month. I stopped using OCT.

How often do you dust your ends? The ends might be breaking because they are split. Somtimes splits ride up the strand. Now I am not sure about why it is straight in parts. But if you study the pics at the link below of how split ends can lead to hair damage, maybe they can shed some light. (I like to dust regularly to keep the split ends from riding up the shaft.)
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_69.htm
Please note they do mention you need to condition your hair to help protect it. I always think of this as moisturizing conditioners.

How has your diet been? How is your health? Since the discussion of hair change in terminally ill people, I've started to think that we cannot just ignore our health when anything changes, even if it might be what some people were hoping for.

Hope you find an explanation. Nothing sucks like not knowing the reason behind any change.

I last trimmed my ends in Sept. when I did a big chop. I didn't trim them that much before then either. Maybe the splits were bad and just kept climbing. Maybe that and the MT/OCT. Wow, I never thought it might have been the MT/OCT before, but maybe it was. I remember my hair feeling "different" in the early stages of my using it. It was definitely harder. I used moisturizing conditioners.

I'm not even gonna cry. I'm tired of crying over my hair. I try soo hard and seem to always take a step back. My hair is growing in healthy at the root. Guess the rest is just damaged hair.

Never thought I'd be one to say this, but I'm gonna lay off the growth aids for the most part. MN never bothered my hair, so maybe I'll use that.

I'm not an expert either...but I think Ovation and MT are protein treatments. Heavy protein at that. I mean, that's why I had to stop using them because they kept giving me protein overload (and the associated hair loss). How are you incorporating moisture into your regimen?

I think there is talk in the MT/OCT thread about it loosening curl patterns. I know my NG was a lot softer/looser during the month that I used it. There is even a thread about vitamins changing curl pattern where it was suggested that MSM could do that.

As for your ends, how are you securing the twists (or do they stay put on their own)? Is your wig possibly causing friction, or do you wear a cap under it? If so is it a nylon stocking cap (which might catch and pull your tight 4b strands) or are you using a satin cap?

I'm just tossing ideas out there.

Thanks for tossing ideas out there. I appreciate all the help. I don't think it's the wig.

So, here I have been using more protein treatments to help fix this problem. I'm still confused whether it's a lack of protein and/or moisture.

Maybe it's a combination of all of it.

Could be protein overload. Megatek has a lot of protein so if you're using it you need to step up your moisture a lot (deep conditioning, moisturizers, etc.).....and also cut back on any other products that contain protein.

The curl pattern could be lost because of heat damage. I saw you mention pressing your hair. That could be the culprit. It's very easy to get heat damage. How often to you press or use direct heat?

Try focusing on your moisture. This could help the breakage and it may help with the heat damage you may have. Before doing this start with a fresh slate....clarify first. I don't think you need anymore protein for right now.

I pressed my hair for the first time in months. I don't think it's heat damage, just something I've been using and most likely it's the Mega-Tek/Ovation.

Time to pick up some garlic pills.
Thanks ladies

You need to come up with a new and better hair care regimen that is more suited for your natural hair pronto!
Look at what you're doing to your hair. You keep it twisted with a foreign substance sitting on top of your hair (wig) which is robbing your natural hair of every drop of moisture. And you over-dosing your hair with so much protein. All that protein is usually not needed for natural hair.

I'm out of the wig now. Seeing all of this made me switch up my routine. I'll have to trim as I go and get back to healthy hair.

Back