PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! Before I big chop tomorrow......

GL925

Goodmorning everyone.

Can I have some suggestions for some African hair braiding salons in Brooklyn, NY? I don't mind traveling to other boroughs.

I've had enough of this transitioning without big chopping thing. It's not working. It's been 3 months since my last relaxer & I'm very tempted to just relax it. It's shedding & I just want it gone.

I want to do the "big chop" tomorrow but, I would like to get it braided right after.

Also, what's the best hair to use? The type of hair that's easily manipulated for styling purposes.

Please help me. I don't want to relax my hair.

Sorry I cannot help with locating a stylist but I will bump this thread for you

:bump:

However, instead of big chopping, why not put entire hair in braids or weave (once you find a stylist) and leave it in for up to 2 months, then play with hair for two weeks whilst its out before putting braids/weave back in... This will really help you transition without big cutting and will also enable you to learn how to deal with the two textures, for a longer stretch/transition..

Alternatively, you can check out www.growafrohairlong.com for the crown and glory method which a lot of the ladies here used to help transition without big cutting for up to 2 years... It also teaches you how to braid your own hair and care for it whilst in braids.

HTH and Good Luck

Thanks ladies. This is just so frustrating for me. My hair is falling out & I don't want it to be the case that when I'm fully natural my hair isn't as thick as it used to be.

Have you done a protein and moisturizing deep conditioning. Try that for like 2 or 3 weeks to try to curb the shedding/breakage and then get braids or a weave. If the hair is shedding/breaking and nothing is done to crub/stop it then getting braifs/weaves will only make it worse.

Last edited:
I am sorry I am of no help either......I hope you get it all figured out....My hair started breaking/shedding too at the line of where the natural met the relaxed....like you I was so scared of damaging the natural hair that I just chopped it off after about 3-4 months of transitioning...I hope you can find a braider in your area. I know it is so frustrating...Big Hugs....

Last edited:
ms.blue, I've done the protein treatment for a month now. It's still breaking. I just want to chop it off & braid it. This is scary. I'll keep doing the protein treatments. Thanks for the advice.

JustSimplyTish, thanks for the hugs. I appreciate it. I hope I can find a good braider also. Transitioning is a lot harder than I imagined & it's only been 3 months. I'll be patient though.

I think I need to cut it off. Ugh!

GL925, Have you done a moisturizing treatment along w/ the protein treatment? To much protein would cause breakage. Moisture and protein go together. Try alternating b/w the protein and the moisture to see if that will help. Don't give up GL925!

ms.blue, I've done moisturizing treatments also. I even ordered some mega tek which came in yesterday. I used it today for the first time so I hope that helps. I'm just worried that the breakage now will cause my natural hair to be thin. I have thick hair so this is definitely alarming for me. Thank you for all the words of encouragement & helpful tips. I really appreciate it. I won't give up. I guess I should expect some setbacks.

Too much protein, protein treatments should only be given once per month and twice at the most...unless its light protein like in vo5
Also u have to deep condition when u use protein not just wash the conditioner out right away. Try to avoid protein for the rest of the month and see how ur hair responds with only moisture

:)

OP, this is my 2nd transition. The first time i lasted 4 months as i no clue what my hair needed it was a birds nest. I did what i was 'supposed' to do ie airdry and cowash and no heat and protien treatments. It all spelt disaster for my hair. I did all this whilst natural too and my hair was awful. I relaxed but after 18 months started to transition again. This time it was moisture, no sulphates or parabens where possible and no airdrying. I also flatiron sometimes. But the first 5 months are always the hardest.

I know of a good African Hair braiding place in BK. Its on E 54th street between church and linden (closer to church ave) the prices are reasonable and when you leave your braids are not usually so tight u can see your self thinking...
PM me if you are interested and I will send you the number.

belldandy, Thanks for the bump. I appreciate it.

Rapunzel*, I won't do any more protein treatments for the rest of the month. Just moisture. Thank you so much for the tips. I hope it works.

Bublin, I'm only on month 3 & i'm ready to throw in the towel. From now on moisture will be my hair's best friend. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I won't give up.

uwrong, Thank you so much for the salon suggestion. Do you know what's the best hait to use for hair braiding?

Back