Please help!! I think I naturally relaxed my hair

alyn308

Last week I decided to add a little baking soda to my ACV rinse because I had some build-up on my scalp. So I cowashed, did my rinse paying close attention to my scalp and then I used my Pantene R&N mask. Well two days later when I was oiling my scalp I realized that my roots were very straight. I have cowashed and dc 3 times now and my hair is still straight especially my roots.

Is there anything that I can do or am I naturally relaxed now?

TIA

Last week I decided to add a little baking soda to my ACV rinse because I had some build-up on my scalp. So I cowashed, did my rinse paying close attenion to my scalp and then I used my Pantene R&N mask. Well two days later when I was oiling my scalp I realized that my roots were very straight. I have cowashed and dc 3 times now and my hair is still straight especially my roots.

Is there anything that I can do or am I naturally relaxed now?

Something similar happened to me. Baking soda loosened my curl pattern a lot. It will eventually curl back up though. Milk and Porosity control does the same thing to my hair too...:yep:

You might have naturally relaxed. Lye ( the product of some relaxers that is responsible for straightening) is a base and so is baking soda. I am not sure what the pH balance difference is between the two, I would have to research that further.

Last edited:
I don't know... just because baking soda is a base doesn't mean that is has all the same properties as a relaxer. Can baking soda actually penetrate the hair and break down keratin to the extent that a relaxer can? I doubt it.

Also, the pH of baking soda is around 8.1. Nowhere near as powerful as relaxers.

I'm unsure of why it temporarily relaxes some people's curls (I think it has something to with it being a salt), but no... you are definitely not relaxed and your texture will come back.

Back