PLEASE HELP! Help me decide - Weave or my own hair?? see pics...

HoneyDew

Hi Guys,

I really need some help. After years of braids and weave, I have been wearing my hair out and really getting the chance to care for it. I AM LOVING IT. My hair is not long enough to put in a bun so I have been wearing 3 clip in pieces in the back so that i can put my hair up in a protective style.
(see pictures)

One of my plans has been to go back to a weave rotation for a year or so to retain enough length to put my own hair up, but I am honestly not ready to go back to a weave. I have been enjoying shampooing and conditioning my hair. I hate trying to blend in weaves and how FAKE they can look. My clips-in are flat, at least and blend in well. I can take them out when I get home and they are still a protection from the winter weather.

Since I have been out of the weave, my hair has become more manageable and softer. It is growing very well, to my surprise, but I want to protect it from everyday breakage that i see sometimes. Weaves seems to be a good option for that, but then I know I will miss my hair.

Has anyone ever felt this way? Has anyone retained w/o the help of weaves or braids?

My appointment is this Saturday and I need to figure something out before then. HELP!!

4.jpg

5.jpg

Your hair looks so pretty and it's looks nice and protected. If you don't want to wear a weave, don't. I'd keep enjoying my own hair especially since you said it is softer and more manageble now. I'm not much of a weave person either. I just prefer my own hair.

Thanks Hopeful. I like your primary goal, too : "To be happy with what I've got right now" sounds really good right now.

I think I have been so used to my hair being covered all these years that every hair shed scares me. Even more scary is when I don't see the little white bulb at the end and I know that it is breakage. I do see a little of that everyday when I comb my hair. That is scary.

Suggestion,the winter months are here. So weave a now is like a hat. enjoy I think it's better to have natural hair in the spring and summer. But if you are really confused and dont know what to do this visit, just get it curled and styled. Dont make a hasty decision.

Last edited:
girl the look on your face...lol..if i were u i would just enjoy caring and wearing my own natural hair...it looks very nice to me...

LOL - at my face. Well, I was trying to take that picture before someone came into the bathroom wondering what I was doing! LOL

Anyway, yes, I have really been enjoying my hair. My mom told me that hair looked nice and shiny and healthy Saturday night. She called me after seeing her earlier that evening just to tell me that and wanted to know what I am doing. That felt good.

But, I really think I am so used to long braids and weaves and being glamorous looking. Maybe I should wait a month or so and then see if I am still retaining length and getting control of the breakage.

HoneyDew said:
LOL - at my face. Well, I was trying to take that picture before someone came into the bathroom wondering what I was doing! LOL

Anyway, yes, I have really been enjoying my hair. My mom told me that hair looked nice and shiny and healthy Saturday night. She called me after seeing her earlier that evening just to tell me that and wanted to know what I am doing. That felt good.

But, I really think I am so used to long braids and weaves and being glamorous looking. Maybe I should wait a month or so and then see if I am still retaining length and getting control of the breakage.

HoneyDew, I just peeked your album, and the weaves and long braids are nice, but I think you look prettier with your own hair, just my opinion though. Good luck in making a choice.

Girl I feel your pain. I am so used to wearing my hair in braids that now that I have it out I am afraid of even having it down, but I love the way it feels when I shampoo and condition it and I see all the progress I've made. I am going to go to the dominican hairstylist every other week and get a wash and deep condition and besides that I will continue my weekly poos and deep conditions on Saturday and cowashes on Wednesday to keep my hair moisturised and protective styles all the time. Like you I will see if my hair is still thriving from my regimen if not then I will get a sew in for 2 months. please keep us posted on your decision. Your hair looks really shiny and healthy so just keep up what you are doing.

I think your natural hair is very pretty! It's very shiny and looks so healthy. TA, your natural hair compliments your more than the weave.

Thank you so much guys!! I think am going to wait a little bit. If I start seeing too much breakage, I will try my weave again. But hopefully things will get better and I will start seeing less breakage. It has only been 3 weeks.

I washed and deep conditioned my hair last night and once again realized how much I love seeing my hair progress w/o a sew-in.

I have been hiding my hair for YEARS AND YEARS and allowing "stylists" to tell me what my hair needs.

When I had my last weave removed, the stylist looked at me like I was crazy and said "what are you going to do with your hair" as if weaves are my only option.

Thanks so much ladies for helping me gain a boost of confidence.

Honey Dew., first of all let me tell you that you are a very pretty girl. Your skin is GORGEOUS!! I know about the breakage and attempting to stop it. I think this hair look is adorable on you. Can you please tell me more about the clip on pieces, where you get them and how they attach? I wonder about the clip part though? Are they really gripping your hair/ or is it tight? You think this might contribute to the breakage at all? Just a thought.

Hey, HoneyDew, your looks cure in that updo, simple, easy but still presentable. I say wear your own hair out if you want. I cheated last night and bumped my hair w/the maxiglide since I decided to go on a personal braid challenge w/my own hair I figured why not since I won't be seeing it for 3 wks, I haven't worn my own hair out in awhile and I was sooooo excited for the fullness and body and length. So I say enjoy your hair for awhile, it shouldn't hurt one bit. ;)
How about doing some good old protein treatments and DC treatments to strenghthen up that hair, that maybe all it needs to taper off/stop the shedding/breakage. Because even though it's in a weave you can't see the normal everyday shedding or breakage that you may get if it was out. So it may be time to strengthen it up a bit. HTH

Last edited:
You don't need a weave or braids. You can use your natural hair. Your hair shouldn't break so maybe u should wear your natural hair and keep doing treatments so that it will stop breaking.

s_terry said:
Honey Dew., first of all let me tell you that you are a very pretty girl. Your skin is GORGEOUS!! I know about the breakage and attempting to stop it. I think this hair look is adorable on you. Can you please tell me more about the clip on pieces, where you get them and how they attach? I wonder about the clip part though? Are they really gripping your hair/ or is it tight? You think this might contribute to the breakage at all? Just a thought.

I'd like more info on the clip on pieces as well. Please spill the beans.:grin:

you look beautiful in that style! I agree that I can not wear weaves because I don't feel comfortable in them. You shouldn't have a problem wearing your hair like that, as long as you're protecting the ends and they are not brushing against the shoulders. There are many ladies that have retained and grew there hair to great lengthes with protective styling (without weaves or braids) and for some, braid extensions can be strenuous on your own hair. I would recommend that you where your hair how you want with your own hair in a protective style :yep:

Wear your own hair if you don't want to weave...I may try the style in your pics with my clip in weave hair. Another option is wearing drawstring ponytails. You can protect your hair during the day but you can take it off once you get home and can wash/cowash/condition your hair all you want.

Back