Please help!! Don't pass this over....

StarScream35

Ladies I'm in hair trouble. Last night I tried a different protein treatment called Babyface Pure Protein and I know it overloaded my hair. After I washed it out and went to detangle the tangles were MASSIVE but it doesn't stop there, my natural hair is breaking and my hair looks noticeable thinner today and shorter. I'm so upset. I've tried to correct this with first clarifying, then deep condition by leaving the conditioner in over night...........nothing............still hard and breaking. So I cowashed with like 4 different protein-free conditioners and then deep conditioned with a protein free moisturizing conditioner, still hard and limpy. I also noticed it makes my hair feel less dense. I don't know what's going on. Has this happened to anybody. Please please help!!

Sorry this happened to you! I've never had this happen to me though but i would think the best thing to do is to stay using the moisturizing conditioners. And have you been steaming with your conditioners? That is the best way imo to infuse your hair with moisture. What kind of conditioners are you using?

Hi, :bighug:

Firstly, don't get discouraged...This too shall pass.

I've just gotten over protein overload, but it took about 5-6 washes to correct it.

Make sure your DC's have no protein whatsoever in them. No hydrolyzed anything. Not even if it's the last ingredient. Check your leave ins, and moisturisers for protein also.
Don't add oil to your conditioner just yet. I'm always suspicious about it not letting any moisture in.
Heavy seal your ends with a THICK OIL. I prefer JBCO. But if your hair is fine Jojoba oil is good.
Protective styling is a must. Just leave it alone! Twists or cornrows are excellent. Then you can M&S on top of your plaits/twists without having to undo.
Baggy nightly or if you can during the day also with a beanie on top.
LOCO is good. It's like the LOC system but with an added oil on top of everything. That helped me the most during my Pro overload. I think it was Nix08 that invented that one. (Another reason to send you some sistahly lovin Nix08 :lol:)

I can't think of anything else at the mo, but as soon as I do I'll pop back in StarScream35.

Betta get moisturising and Seal, Seal, Seal

Is your hair matted up badly? Because you might need a friend to help you either cut off the matted hair that won't untangle or you will need to carefully section off your hair and detangle little by little. I accidentally did this to my sister years ago (sorry Sandy!) and I had to cut some hair off.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

BostonMaria

It wasn't terribly matted up but certainly matted up to harbor am OMG moment. Most of the matted hair was hair that was broken off.

nurseN98

I'm using Nexxus Humectress, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, Lady Fior Conditioner and Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner.

Q: Do you have to mix it with your conditioner and then rinse it off or instead of the conditioner you use this and leave it on or you just use the vial application as after shampoo and rinse off thanks so much for the explanation Oct-08-09

A: HI~ You absolutely must mix it with conditioner. This is solid protein - and it's really potent. If you put it straight on your hair it would be like superglue and wreck your hair! There are detailed instructions that come with it, but basically here is how it works: you have to mix it with conditioner, enough to cover your hair nicely, and set that aside in a bowl/cup. You wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, then towel dry a little, then put the protein/conditioner mix on it. The conditioner's job is to make sure the protein is distributed thinly and evenly on all of the hair and it provides necessary moisture to keep the protein flexible. You cover it with a shower cap or plastic bag for 20-30 minutes, then rinse it out (not wash). Then just dry your hair and you're good to go! Lasts about 2 weeks.
I copied and pasted this from their q&a. Did you follow these instructions OP?

StarScream35

i would moisturize and seal like mad. i'd make an oil mix and make sure castor was in there in addition to a ceramide oil like grapeseed, walnut, hemp,sunflower,safflower,kukui,sesame, rice bran etc. i would also add a 3rd oil to the mix like olive, sapote, evco, avocado, etc.

i would steer clear of anything with cones in it cause they tend to block moisture and cause build-up.

all of my dc's would be moisture based and from here on out use reconstructor type conditioners if you feel you need protein cause they are already balanced with moisture.

@StarScream35

This is something not everyone likes to do, for some reason. But try 1/2 tsp salt in about 8oz conditioner (No protein, naturally) and baggy for 1 hour at least. It works as a tenderizer (think: seasoning some meat before cooking). Normal tablesalt works well, but I've had great success with seasalt. I tried it the last time, and it had certain success, but in my haste to correct the overload, I used too much salt and it didn't have the total correction. It has worked for me in the past, though.

It's worth a try!

ETA: Here's a thread that will make interesting reading.

Last edited:
Did you follow up that pure protein with a moisturizing conditioner? Your original post says you just rinsed and went to detangle. You are always supposed to follow pure protein immediately with a moisturizing DC. That is where things went wrong. Also, I think clarifying was a bad idea. Definitely don't do that again. Your hair was hard from the protein, no moisture and then and the shampoo stripped it even further. What are you using for conditioner? Alot of commercial products are so cheap and full of synthetic oils and plastics (including Nexxus and Herbal Essence)-- they are just making your hair even worse. IF you can get your hands on a product w/real ingredients to cut through your hair, like Aubrey; or just pure castor oil or something, that would be so much better.

Last edited:
I'm no help but bumping for more responses, it looks like you got some great advice already though

i would section the hair as much as you can. apply moisturizing conditioner and then oil to each section. twist the sections. put on a baggy and let it sit as long as you can. 2-3 hours or more.

rinse it out with the plaits still in your hair.

then apply leave ins and put your wet hair in a bun.

oil the hair tomorrow.

and try to detangle again.

do this every day until you get the mats and tangles out.

BostonMaria

It wasn't terribly matted up but certainly matted up to harbor am OMG moment. Most of the matted hair was hair that was broken off.

nurseN98

I'm using Nexxus Humectress, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, Lady Fior Conditioner and Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Keep adding moisture but make sure you don't add any more protein. I'd stay away from shampoo (I'm sure you already have) and mix some conditioner + olive oil to help loosen any tangles. You might have to trim your hair a bit if it caused any split ends.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Moisturize & moisturize..Be very gentle with your hair,no small braids,seale the ends with a protein free butter or oil..Thus happened to me before..I put my hair in 4 lg braids & pined up..It got back on track in a jiffy..

*When my hair had matted,went into my bathroom with the shower running hot & the steam help to detangle with protein free con I had & very little hair was lost..

{{{{Sending you a hug}}}}

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this is happening to you! What helped my hair when I overdid it with the Aphrogee protein is using a moisturizing conditioner that does not have additional oils or butters added to it.

Conditioners that rely mainly on Cetyl Alcohol and water worked best on my hair. I also baggied, GHE and cowashed as much as possible. After washing, sealing with heavy oils (not coconut) did it for me.

Ladies I'm in hair trouble. Last night I tried a different protein treatment called Babyface Pure Protein and I know it overloaded my hair. After I washed it out and went to detangle the tangles were MASSIVE but it doesn't stop there, my natural hair is breaking and my hair looks noticeable thinner today and shorter. I'm so upset. I've tried to correct this with first clarifying, then deep condition by leaving the conditioner in over night...........nothing............still hard and breaking. So I cowashed with like 4 different protein-free conditioners and then deep conditioned with a protein free moisturizing conditioner, still hard and limpy. I also noticed it makes my hair feel less dense. I don't know what's going on. Has this happened to anybody. Please please help!!

add a tablespoon of salt to your conditioner and stay away from the comb. only use your fingers. it is going to take awhile to get your hair back under control.

i have been there and thought i was going to have to cut my hair off. no products with protein in them. hot oil treatments and (baggy) with jojoba, grapeseed, light oils. no coconut, olive, avocado.

are you relaxed? no more clarifying either for the time being. no leaving conditioner on overnight either.

try salt. it will create hydration and break the protein down.

So sorry this also happened to me not to long ago. Try not to manipulate your hair as much as possible. Scurl helped me a lot.

Did you follow up that pure protein with a moisturizing conditioner? Your original post says you just rinsed and went to detangle. You are always supposed to follow pure protein immediately with a moisturizing DC.

Exactly what I was going to say. Try Aphogee Moisture. It's an intense moisture conditioner that's left on for 5 mins after rinsing the protein treatment. Sorry to hear this happened to you. Be very careful with your hair while it's in this fragile state.

This happened to me once. After trying everything to comb it, i lightly shampooed with regular sulfate shampoo and conditioned and then I was able to begin to detangle my hair.

plus, with an intensive treatment, you have to use as little as possible and use a sulfate shampoo to remove residue. after that, you can deep condition with a non protein conditioner.

Thanks so much ladies. You have been helpful. Let me answer a few questions, I am a transitioned natural. I did use a moisturizing conditioner after rinsing the protein out. Nexxus Humectress to be exact. And it looks like I need to go purchase some Aubrey Organics conditioner and grape seed or jojoba oil and put half teaspoon of salt in my AO conditioner, oh and baggy for an hour or two. Will do ladies. Thanks. I was thinking about cutting my hair today but I just might be able to save it!

Can you baggy for a week?
I would just keep adding oils every day and wear a wig or hat. One or two hours isn't enough; you need to leave your hair alone until it is soft and balanced.

i would section the hair as much as you can. apply moisturizing conditioner and then oil to each section. twist the sections. put on a baggy and let it sit as long as you can. 2-3 hours or more.

rinse it out with the plaits still in your hair.

then apply leave ins and put your wet hair in a bun.

oil the hair tomorrow.

and try to detangle again.

do this every day until you get the mats and tangles out.

That's exactly what i would do, but i would not oil until i take the baggy out. I find my hair is most moisturized without sealing. I will just keep moisturizing and baggying, and wear a satin scarf even when inside the house. When my hair is extra dry i don't let it see the light of day unless i am in the bathroom moisturizing. I wear a satin scarf 24-7 in the house, or under a wig when out. Hope your hair recovers soon.

Thanks so much ladies. You have been helpful. Let me answer a few questions, I am a transitioned natural. I did use a moisturizing conditioner after rinsing the protein out. Nexxus Humectress to be exact. And it looks like I need to go purchase some Aubrey Organics conditioner and grape seed or jojoba oil and put half teaspoon of salt in my AO conditioner, oh and baggy for an hour or two. Will do ladies. Thanks. I was thinking about cutting my hair today but I just might be able to save it!

The humectress i know has hydrolyzed keratin not too high in the ingredients list but high enough. Maybe you needed a pure mosturizing protein free DC. I am not sure if there's another formula without the hydrolyzed keratin.

Hey OP, I'm so sorry that this happened to you :( It can always be hard dealing with hair that has matted..but please don't give up hope.
The treatment sounds a bit like the Aphogee 2 step. This is what I did whenever I applied a hard protein treatment.
First I clarified with a nice shampoo (I used to like Nexxus Aloe Rid, but ORS Aloe Shampoo is nice). Then I did a quick conditioner rinse with a purely moisturizing conditioner (NO PROTEIN WHATSOEVER).
I then mixed the hard protein with a purely moisturizing deep conditioner and applied it for the amount of time listed on the bottle.
After rinsing out the treatment, do a deep conditioner with a purely moisturizing deep conditioner mixed with oils and butters.

Whenever doing a protein treatment always follow up with a moisturizing DC and make sure that there are no protein ingredients listed (keratin, wheat protein, silk amino acids, etc etc) just to make sure that your hair is not overloaded.

Aussie Moist 3 Min Miracle
Silk Elements Mega Moisturizing conditioner (tan jar)
Suave Almond and Shea Butter
Tresemme Naturals (moisturizing)
Mizani Silk Creme (Cream)

these are some of the conditioners that i purchased that have NO Protein in them. that AOHSR has protein in it too. when i was going through my hell period with protein overload, i went to buy it, but i looked at the ingredients and put it back.

i know how you feel. every time i shampooed, my hair felt fine, but then i would apply the deep conditioner, rinse, my hair would turn into straw again. when i would try to detangle, long broken hair strands were coming out like crazy. i couldn't really style my hair either. i remember my SIL braided my hair for me, and my hair as she was braiding, was breaking and falling like pine needles from a dry, dead christmas tree.

i researched and asked questions like crazy. the salt/conditioner thing really helped me. i mixed Tresemme Naturals conditioner (a cupful) with a tablespoon of salt i let that sit for no more than 15 mins. (i didn't want mushy hair) do this step after you shampoo i would rinse out and use some more Tresemme to rinse if i felt my hair needed it.

oh before i would wash my hair, i would finger detangle with oil and put a baggy on my head and let the oil sit for a few hours. i would wash with a sulfate shampoo (Suave Almond and Shea Butter). i would deep condition with the Suave Almond and Shea conditioner under heat for 30mins. i wouldn't use a comb to detangle or style my hair. i ended up having to trim 3 inches off.

i have learned my lesson big time about using hardcore protein, or any protein for that matter. i have learned that my hair is low porous and i don't need a ton of protein. i try to stay away from a lot of products that have protein in them, or act as a protein in some way. i researched ingredients that encourage moisture.

i know i am repeating myself, but i just want you to be really cautious at this point. your hair can be saved.

Im sorry this happened to you! I suggest using a moisturizing deep conditioner (no protein, ie. a good cheatp on Organix moroccan oil deep conditioner) with argan oil mixed in. Let it sit for about an 1hr or use heat under a hooded dryer for ~15min with plastic cap. Hope that helps!!

*****************UPDATE**************

To all you ladies that answered.......:blowkiss:

I want to Thank you all. I am back on track!!

I washed my hair using Essentious Shampoo which contains no protein. I then put in Macadamia Oil Hair Mask (not the rinse which contains protein) which is protein free and shrinked wrapped my hair using Hydra Cap (these things are awesome....yall gotta get some) and left that on for 2 hours. Washed it out, detangled with ease and then sealed using a mixture of aloe vera oil, jamaican black castor oil and glycerin and oh the softness! I did trim just a bit of the ends off since they looked :nono: but it wasn't too bad. Right now I'm :grin: and back to my normal self. If anybody wants some Babyface Protein, you can have it for free if you pay shipping. I'm not going anywhere near that stuff again. I'll stick to Nexxus Emergencee from now on!

***********Edit************

Almost forgot.....I did add a teaspoon of sea salt to the Macadamia Hair Oil Mask!

Last edited:
Back