PLEASE HELP! ANYONE STILL USE CURLING IRONS?

peacelove

I really need help here. I am about to wash my hair but I have become a bit fearful about my regime since being on this board! I love roller sets, but I CANNOT DO THEM MYSELF! /images/graemlins/mad.gif Every single time I try my hair comes out frizzy. In the past I wrap my hair with a foaming wrap lotion (Keracare) and then curled with an iron. But now, I am afraid to use the curling iron because it seems that cutting that step out is critical to my hair growth. Please someone help me. I get roller sets at my salon, but I just don't see myself having success with getting my hair set without frizzing. Please help!

I'm sure there are some members on here who,like myself, just don't have the time to commit to a roller set. I have been using the blowdryer, flat iron AND curling iron without any adverse affects for the past year and it has not hindered my hair growth. I keep my hair well oiled and moisturized and it's in excellent condition. But continue to practice with your roller setting. Experiment w/different rollers, etc. I know that I can't use any type of setting lotion on my hair, leave in conditioner seemed to do the trick for me because it made my hair a lot smoother. You also might try dry wrapping your hair when you take your rollers out with a little bit of oil and then getting back under the dryer for a bit (also called a 'doobie') to help smooth things out a little.

But if you are commited to roller sets just keep practicing. If you just can't get the hang of it, don't feel bad, you don't have to roller set your hair to keep your hair growth. You could try air drying most of it and then doing like a 'damp' set with leave in conditioner. Maybe that would make your hair easier to handle?

Sadly, I still use a bumping iron (with a heat protection product) once a week to straighten my hair after my weekly shampoo/conditioning treatment. I ONLY do this when I'm wearing my hair straight. Since it's gotten cold here in Jersey, I try not to wear my hair out so often so I've been trying to dry in a bun or french roll and wear protective styles for a couple of days.

Keep practicing with the rollers. Maybe when you have it set at the salon, watch your stylist carefully to see how she does it. Also make sure you use end papers (CRITICAL for non-frizzy ends).

Hi Peacelove,

That's all I use is a curling iron. The ones that really work well for me are the ones that have those 10-digit dials to control the heat. I used Goldn'Hot for the longest but have switched to the Jilbere Ceremic Iron which is excellent. My hair doesn't feel hot when I'm pressing and I don't have to turn the dial up to get my hair straight. I have been pressing my hair for a while now and made some mistakes along the way but have learned that KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm and heat protectant sprays along with temperature control, really keeps me from burning out and damaging my hair. You may want to buy a curling iron that has settings (if you don't already have one), oppose to using ones that just heat up.

Back