Please Critique My Protein Plan

vtoodler

My hair is breaking badly, and it's calling out for protein. It's not breaking as much as it used to because I relax less often. However, it's still in bad shape.

I want to use a hard protein to get it back in shape. Below is my plan. Please offer any suggestions as to how I can improve it, and feel free to share your concerns, and ask questions.

I relax my hair every 13 weeks (four times a year)

• I want to use Dudley's DRC 28 a week after the relaxer and again six weeks thereafter (hence 8 times a year)
  • Afterward, I will follow up with a moisturizing conditioner (such as Aubrey Organics HR Conditioner or Silk Element's conditioner)
  • If I notice breakage anytime in between my protein treatments, I will use Aphogee 2 minute, and deep condition thereafter.
How does this sound? Does it sound like a good plan? I will do all this by myself since I don't have the money to visit a stylist. I usually only visit stylists to get touch-ups.

It means that I will use Dudley's DRC eight times a year. Should I use it more often--should I also use it a week before the relaxer?

Last edited:
If you are just starting out protein may not be what you need. Your hair could be breaking from lack of moisture. Others will chime in....

While I think people are too scared to use protein esp if you have a chemical process I would suggest this reggie for 2-3 months then review it, if your hair recovers earlier then incorporate more moisture in your reggie.

I am chemically processed and definitely use protein :)

Personally I wouldn't plan my deep proteins unless before or after your relaxer.

I just use a light protein like aphogee 2 minute weekly. I use DRC-28 as needed. It is strong but gentle.

MY advice:

Clarify, Clarify and then clarify again today or when you start your regimen.
Shampoo with your shampoo of choice (this makes a difference too)
DRC 28 - 20 minutes under the dryer
45 minutes with a DC of your choice under a dryer/steamer or 1 hour plus under self heating cap.

I always advise people start off with a slight mini trim so you can evaluate your situation better. :)

Weekly a light Protein (as needed) and regular DC will be good :)

Good Luck :)

I think you could use a protein leave-in like Aphogee pro-vitamin to use on a regular basis in between treatments, and sometimes the problem my not be protein or moisture, I use blackstrap molasses in my dc's sometimes b/c it has potassium and other minerals to help strengthen your hair. I think you should do a strand test to assess what is the issue on why your breaking. Some ppl don't need lots of protein but if you have fine hair in addition to a chemical process it might be the most critical thing for your hair.

I think you could use a protein leave-in like Aphogee pro-vitamin to use on a regular basis in between treatments, and sometimes the problem my not be protein or moisture, I use blackstrap molasses in my dc's sometimes b/c it has potassium and other minerals to help strengthen your hair. I think you should do a strand test to assess what is the issue on why your breaking. Some ppl don't need lots of protein but if you have fine hair in addition to a chemical process it might be the most critical thing for your hair.

this is not a protein leave-in, it is balanced spray (combo moisture/protein)

Back