PLease advise me (hair color question)

Straighthoodtea

I am 100% natural. I am however looking to lighten my hair color to a blonde so I can experiment with color rinses and have a bit of fun. I do not want to lose my curl pattern. I understand that it will loosen slightly because bleach will technically damage the hair. HOWEVER. I want to know if it's possible to lighten my hair slowly over time (I mean SLOWLY) by using a bleach and a 10 volume developer. I know 10 volume is normally used to deposit color. But can't it light my hair 1 level? Would if be possible to lift my hair 1 level like once a month or once every 6 weeks until I hit the color I'm looking for? That would give me some time to nurse my hair to health in between bleaches.

Is this possible? Any professionals, can you help me figure this out?

I am not a professional so you aren't speaking to me. But your hair is so pretty. I do hope you don't do this.

If I lighten it slowly it wont do anything to my hair. I just want to know if 10 volume developer will help me lighten it. I may just have to experiment and report back. Oh well. If something happens I can just grow it back.

I hope you get an answer. I plan to bleach my hair later this year after I have a good amount of henna on it because I know it will turn orange/gold. I didn't know what I was doing last time and got that effect by accident so I would like to know how to do it properly this time. I will try to keep this thread bumped for you.

I am 100% natural. I am however looking to lighten my hair color to a blonde so I can experiment with color rinses and have a bit of fun. I do not want to lose my curl pattern. I understand that it will loosen slightly because bleach will technically damage the hair. HOWEVER. I want to know if it's possible to lighten my hair slowly over time (I mean SLOWLY) by using a bleach and a 10 volume developer. I know 10 volume is normally used to deposit color. But can't it light my hair 1 level? Would if be possible to lift my hair 1 level like once a month or once every 6 weeks until I hit the color I'm looking for? That would give me some time to nurse my hair to health in between bleaches. Is this possible? Any professionals, can you help me figure this out?
You may try the: Ask a stylist thread, hosted by dontspeakdefeat.

I'm a bleacher and I'm relaxed. 10 volume never lighten my hair and also you have to be careful because you don't want a patchy bleach job.

I am 100% natural. I am however looking to lighten my hair color to a blonde so I can experiment with color rinses and have a bit of fun. I do not want to lose my curl pattern. I understand that it will loosen slightly because bleach will technically damage the hair. HOWEVER. I want to know if it's possible to lighten my hair slowly over time (I mean SLOWLY) by using a bleach and a 10 volume developer. I know 10 volume is normally used to deposit color. But can't it light my hair 1 level? Would if be possible to lift my hair 1 level like once a month or once every 6 weeks until I hit the color I'm looking for? That would give me some time to nurse my hair to health in between bleaches.

Is this possible? Any professionals, can you help me figure this out?
Straighthoodtea

I say this with a disclaimer. If you decide not to go to a professional no telling the results because it's already tricky enough in experienced hands. I will however give you some advice.

Bleaching is damaging to the hair. It changes the texture, point blank. You will lose hair. You will have to cut some. It's just part of the process. You may lose immediately you may not. You may have to cut immediately you may not. It's kind of like play russian roulette with your hair.

Most people cant wait and don't want to go through the rainbow of colors to get to the level they are looking for.

The plan you have sounds good. I wish most people would wait in between bleachings to make it a little less damaging.

Now. I would do the first bleaching with 10 volume developer to see how your hair responds. If it responds well stick with. If not go up to 20 volume but I would suggest that you use anything higher than that. If you can get your hands on a professional bleach like Redken Flash Lift that would be great. If not there is always Sally's they have plenty of bleach there and you can just take your pic. :sad: Prepare your hair first with a protein treatment each time you bleach and make sure to do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing deep condition after every lift you perform. Wait about 3 or 4 weeks in between. You may not like what you see until you get the level of lift that you want. Expect greens, oranges and reds to pull while you are in the process of lifting but most likely orange. Do this with care and do a little research before you start the process if you haven't done so already.

This is just advice. If anything happens I take no responsibility.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it! That's kind of what I wanted to hear. I would like to go super slow. I understand my hair will change some and that I'd have to basically baby my hair. Maybe I will speak to a professional about doing it for me so I wont screw it up. Thanks for the product suggestions also!:yep:

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it! That's kind of what I wanted to hear. I would like to go super slow. I understand my hair will change some and that I'd have to basically baby my hair. Maybe I will speak to a professional about doing it for me so I wont screw it up. Thanks for the product suggestions also!:yep:
Straighthoodtea

You are welcome. I would suggest you consult with a professional so you can keep all of your gorgeous hair!:yep:

Back