Plan to Flat Iron My Hair! Moisturizing Help!

Hi Everybody!

I'm transitioning for a long time. However, since the weather's cooler down, I'd like to try something new. I wish to flat iron my hair once a month professional (There's no way I can do it myself). My hair is used to being moisturized a lot (DC once a week, Cowash once a week, moisturize and seal as needed).

How can I change my regimen around to fit this wish? I only plan to do this from October until March (when it'll get warm again).

Any tips!

Thanks!

So you plan on Flatironing every few days?

i use this, Profective mega moisturizer, its really good, so far I give it an A

Its got Glycerin in it!:grin:

Last edited:
Do you want to keep your hair straight all month long? If so, you should try to find a less invasive method to keeping your hair straight, but still retain moisture levels. You should start roller-setting to keep you ends from enduring so much direct heat, and just flat ironing your roots

Do you want to keep your hair straight all month long? If so, you should try to find a less invasive method to keeping your hair straight, but still retain moisture levels. You should start roller-setting to keep you ends from enduring so much direct heat, and just flat ironing your roots

I figure I would keep my hair straight for about two weeks before I'd freak out.

Thanks! I will consider roller-setting my hair.

When flat ironing or rollersetting, it's important to pay attention to moisture AND protein balance in the hair. Since I've started paying attention to this, my flat ironed sessions have been much improved.

Before having either one of these services done you should note what products you've been using leading up to the service. If your using tons of moisturizing products you may want to use a protein based deep/leave in conditioner. Over moisturizing hair before flat ironing leads to limp, dull, frizzy hair, as does protein overload. I highly suggest bringing your own products to the salon if you're having your hair professionally straightened.

I also agree with the comment above on having your hair rollerset before flat ironing rather than blow dried. Blowdrying in and of itself with deplete the hair of moisture, which for me results in very very dry hair after flat ironing, even if I use moisturizing products before and after doing so.

To maintain the hair after flat ironing, I would use a light oil like olive, jojoba, or almond. Most products that claim to moisturize the hair after it's been flat ironed usually only coat the strands. Very little penetration can occur when the hair cuticle is closed after flat ironing. You really just want to keep your strands lubricated and add a natural non greasy sheen.

Last edited:
I would do a light or heavy protein treatment, followed up by an intense moisturizing treatment to really seal in some moisture that'll last for your desired 2 weeks (see westNDNbeauty's thread concerning moisture and flat-ironing.)

I also second drying/stretching your hair with a roller set or even curlformers as opposed to blow drying.

I would do a light or heavy protein treatment, followed up by an intense moisturizing treatment to really seal in some moisture that'll last for your desired 2 weeks (see westNDNbeauty's thread concerning moisture and flat-ironing.)

I also second drying/stretching your hair with a roller set or even curlformers as opposed to blow drying.

Cool. Thanks so much.

I tried what your doing last fall/winter and will be doing the same this time since I got good results. I deep condition on my wash day (usually a few days before the salon). Then when I go the the salon I have her give me another DC before she blow dry and flat iron my hair. For the next week I use a oil when needed but not much because I have very fine hair. The next week I put a little leave in on my hair and bun for the next week. At the end of that week I wash and make sure I use some type of protein (usually Aphogee 2 Keratin Reconstructor) during my conditioning/DC process and then roller set my hair and flat iron the roots. Bun the next week, wash at the end of that week and then I will do a wet style like twist for a twist out for that next week. Then start the process over again with the salon thing (unless I do it myself). My hair grew during the months of doing this. Then when the summer hit I went into a sew-in. I know doing it this way has help my ends from getting those ssk's and has grown.

So basically I try to incorporate a lot of moisture before flat ironing and protein my next wash.

Last edited:
Back