Pinpoint The Cause: My Hairline Breakage??

loolalooh

Okay, my hair care has been going well until yesterday (or maybe before that). I noticed that my hairline is disappearing. You know ... kinda like how men look when they start to go bald and the hairline recedes? I'm glad I caught it when I did because you can't tell unless you pull my hair back and look hard.

Anyway, I need help determining what caused this.
  • Here's my regi ... so what caused this? (BTW, I'm natural)
-Wash 1-2x a week w/ CON
-DC 1x a week w/ LustraSilk, EVOO, etc.
-Airdry; no heat whatsoever
-Moisturize when needed w/ Profectiv (trying to use it up) OR water sealed w/ safflower oil
-Hairstyles include: twists, coils, puffs; I don't wear headbands often - one week I'll wear it for 3-4 days, then for 2-3 weeks I won't wear one at all; I wear a wig over a wig cap every Saturday for my dance show
-My diet: is solid; that's definitely not the cause

I noticed the same thing! I have short (broken) pieces in the middle of my hairline (where my widow's peak would be). I realize that my breakage is coming from smoothing my hair straight back for buns or ponytails. My hair naturally likes to part down the middle and trying to force it to go straight back needs too much manipulation and when I secure my hair, there's too much tension on the area.

Do you pull your hair back a lot?

Last edited:
My widow's peak disappeared the last couple of months. I discovered that it was from me brushing and using gel. i was also pulling a little tight but that might not have been a problem if I wasn't brushing and gelling so much.

I'm using aloe vera gel for my hairline and I got rid of my brushes. It's been two weeks and my hairline is already filling back in...I am relaxed.

I've noticed the same thing too. I know I don't wear ponytails pulled back a lot or braids. I'm thinking it's the wig caps that I wear under my wigs or the combs that be in the wigs. I cut the wig combs out and try to wear nothing up under my wigs.

I've noticed the same thing too. I know I don't wear ponytails pulled back a lot or braids. I'm thinking it's the wig caps that I wear under my wigs or the combs that be in the wigs. I cut the wig combs out and try to wear nothing up under my wigs.

I agree that the wig cap is probably the cause as well as the combs inside of the wig. My hairline started to recede from the friction of the cap against my scalp. The combs in front of the wig just added to the soarness. I learned by wearing my wig cap just a little ways in front of my hairline and not using the combs solved this problem.

I think y'all are on it! :grinwink: See that's why I need other eyes to view this mystery. I don't brush/comb my edges or wear the headscarves that often (or maybe I do?). So I said to myself "WTH am I doing wrong NOW?".

- Yep, I wear snug twists along my hairline. I'll start doing them looser.
- Yep, when I do pull my hair back, I pull it back tight. Less and looser headscarves from now on.
- And the wig!!!:nono: That might be the master cause. It's extra snug on my hairline so that it doesn't fly off while dancing. The wig cap too. Those combs are evil.

Thanks for pinpointing the culprits, ladies!! I didn't know what I was doing to cause this.

Thanks for the link, vestaluv! It is very helpful, and yep, my wig cap is nylon.

Last edited:
Back