Phyto-relaxed ladies: Hair not holing curls, plaits/braids unraveling

angenoir

This is a question for the ladies use the phytospecific relaxer.

I have been using this relaxer since last year and so far I am very happy with it. I don't burn during the touch-up process, my hair feels and is stronger, it does not leave me underprocessed.:yep:

However since starting to use phyto I have noticed that:
  • my hair doesn't hold a curl very well. I don't often do roller sets but when I do I find that the curls drop quite quickly.
  • when I do plaits or braids, my hair unravels quite quickly.
  • for the first few weeks post relaxer my hair is really flat :perplexed (I am already a fine haired person so I do not desire any more flatness :sad:)
Has anyone else noticed this?
How did you deal with it?

Its not a very big problem because I have noticed that the further post-relaxer I am the better the curls and plaits or braids hold and also the more body/volume my hair has...
BUT I would really be happy if my cornrows could last longer :perplexed and if my hair could have more volume.

Last edited:
are you using index 1 or 2? if you have fine hair, you probably should be using 1.

The only time my hair was "flat" was when I piled the relaxer on the new growth. My hair was too straight then! wouldn't hold a curl, nothing!

With Phyto its about the amount you use + time spent processing. So if you use more product on your hair, you will need to cut down the time spent processing or, just use less product and use the same time to process it.

You may want to try a setting lotion when you curl your hair. That seems to help a lot. I seldom rollerset or curl my hair but when I do I use it. I use lottabody(which must be mixed with water)

I don't plait my hair so I'm unable to help there (sorry)

HTH

-A

Thanks for your response Arcadian.

I used Index II but next time I will use index 1

Thanks for the tip on amount used + time spent. I generally use a lot of product so I will cut down on the time.

are you using index 1 or 2? if you have fine hair, you probably should be using 1.

The only time my hair was "flat" was when I piled the relaxer on the new growth. My hair was too straight then! wouldn't hold a curl, nothing!

With Phyto its about the amount you use + time spent processing. So if you use more product on your hair, you will need to cut down the time spent processing or, just use less product and use the same time to process it.

You may want to try a setting lotion when you curl your hair. That seems to help a lot. I seldom rollerset or curl my hair but when I do I use it. I use lottabody(which must be mixed with water)

I don't plait my hair so I'm unable to help there (sorry)

HTH

-A

If you switch to Index 1, remember that it's milder, so your process will be the same as now. If you keep Index 2, same amount of relaxer, shorter time. During your neutralizer process, if you do an acv rinse, you'll get to white suds right away which means you've absolutely stopped the processing. What conditioners are you using?

This is a question for the ladies use the phytospecific relaxer.

I have been using this relaxer since last year and so far I am very happy with it. I don't burn during the touch-up process, my hair feels and is stronger, it does not leave me underprocessed.:yep:

However since starting to use phyto I have noticed that:
  • my hair doesn't hold a curl very well. I don't often do roller sets but when I do I find that the curls drop quite quickly.
  • when I do plaits or braids, my hair unravels quite quickly.
  • for the first few weeks post relaxer my hair is really flat :perplexed (I am already a fine haired person so I do not desire any more flatness :sad:)
Has anyone else noticed this?
How did you deal with it?

Its not a very big problem because I have noticed that the further post-relaxer I am the better the curls and plaits or braids hold and also the more body/volume my hair has...
BUT I would really be happy if my cornrows could last longer :perplexed and if my hair could have more volume.

I don't corn row, so I cannot speak to that. I also found no difference in the curl for my hair. Actually, I think my curl holds extremely well, its fuller with lots of bounce even if I style on bare hair (nothing after the last rinse of conditioner).

I will share one experience that I had a long time ago, when I first transitioned from Affirm to Phyto, I found that my new growth was much thicker, softer, and had more texture than my previous relaxed parts. When I began to style, I noticed a difference in how my hair would look at the roots, almost underprocessed and the relaxed hair seemed straighter. But it was because it was different hair, if that makes sense.

Once SistaSlick depicted new growth vs. relaxed hair something along the lines of :

~~~~~~~~~~---------------
Tight New Growth relaxed Portion

I would build upon this, and say that when you transition to Phyto relaxed, you are

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-------------
Tight New Growth --> Phyto Laxed --> Relaxed

This is why my ends would look SO different when wet...then when I would roller set, the top at first seemed "bushy" compared to the other parts, but it was because I wasn't rolling as tight, and I had almost "natural" hair that I had to stretch well. The ends would look limp, and as it got longer, a bit scraggly.

Over time, I realized that my Phytolaxed hair was so much more maneageable, required less maintenance and was much healthier. I basically ended up trimming all the affirm off (well, I may have one more trim to do a few other spots..).

I would also say that after using Phyto for 2+ years, I sometimes need to take precautions of hair that is natural, if that makes sense. It doesn't need as much protein, and sometimes it needs a bit more moisture because it does have more "texture" than before.

I think your curls and styles improve as you continue because you are gaining more of the Phyto hair vs. the previous type. I don't know how to explain what I am saying but I know what you mean. It will improve as you gain more length, then you will see a CLEAR difference esp. when wet. Or if you ever heat style it. You can see through the other ends, where the Phytolaxed hair is nice and thick and full. Also, I have found over time I do not have any problems with breakage if I don't take a million steps to protect my ends. I trim more to maintain the style as different parts of my head grow at different rates, I trim to get rid of the Affirm, and I trim where I see occasional split ends.

Maybe there are changes you should consider in application or method when styling. (E.g., changing the moisturizing agent when roller setting, add extra setting lotion maybe, different roll pattern?) Since there is more texture, you may need to consider different products that help you maintain your style better.

You mentioned it improves over time. I strongly believe this will continue to be the case. I hope this information helped give some insight from a fellow Phyto gal.

Ladies

Thanks so much for your advice.

I use the following moisturizers:

• Herbal Essences or Sauve conditioner for my co-washes
  • Bioinfusion olive oil conditioner
  • Porosity control

I will continue to take care of my hair and enjoy the benefits of phyto :yep:

Back