Phyto Phrustration!!!

sjarman13

I have 4b course hair in most sections. One week prior to having my PHYTO applied, I clairified and did not put any oils on my newgrowth (to ensure that the relaxer would process properly).
The stylist applied the PHYTO, let it stay in longer than the recommended process time and smoothed. My course sections did not get straight. Of course they appeared to be straight once I left the salon, but two days later I washed and conditioned and the courser sections of my hair ranged from "wavy to crunchy"! What happened?
I know that PHYTO doesn't get bone straight, but I don't want "wavy and crunchy"!
It is difficult enough to stretch relaxer time when you get your hair straight, but if I got to start with "crunchy" I'm doomed!

The stylist did what she does... so I feel like it wasn't her. How can I fix this?

4B course ladies who have tried PHYTO.....Holler!

I have THick course 4B hair, and my hair comes out too striaght. Are you using index 1 or 2?

Hi !!

Sorry to hear about your drama but you are right when you say crunchy!! That discribes my hair too. I used phyto exactly 10 wks 1 day ago and right now my hair is crunchy. I think the phyto is not conditioning which causes this problem. I have been putting lots of oil on my hair to keep it moisturized but it seems like as time goes by and my relaxer gets old and my hair grows out my hair gets dryer. I am sitting here wondering what chemical I'll use next since my touch up time is coming soon. All I know for sure is that I won't be using any other relaxer that does not say conditioning in its name.

Good luck!!

DMarie

DMarie said:
Hi !!

Sorry to hear about your drama but you are right when you say crunchy!! That discribes my hair too. I used phyto exactly 10 wks 1 day ago and right now my hair is crunchy. I think the phyto is not conditioning which causes this problem. I have been putting lots of oil on my hair to keep it moisturized but it seems like as time goes by and my relaxer gets old and my hair grows out my hair gets dryer. I am sitting here wondering what chemical I'll use next since my touch up time is coming soon. All I know for sure is that I won't be using any other relaxer that does not say conditioning in its name.

Good luck!!

DMarie

Not to take you away from Phyto, because it does work well for some, but have you ever tried Affirm? My relaxed hair never feels crunchy or dry. I've never tried phyto, but for me Affirm is the most moisturizing conditioner I've ever used. I love it, and have been using it for over a year. I don't plan to try any other relaxer.

hmm:perplexed. I just used Phyto last week. I am 4b and used index 2. I have a lot of underprocessed spots. Now I'm afraid my hair will be crunchy also after my first wash.

dtachi said:
Man! I just ordered the Phyto relaxer. I hope my hair fares well with it!

Me too!!!!!

I am wondering if she used Index 1 or 2 since her hair is course.

RabiaElaine said:
Not to take you away from Phyto, because it does work well for some, but have you ever tried Affirm? My relaxed hair never feels crunchy or dry. I've never tried phyto, but for me Affirm is the most moisturizing conditioner I've ever used. I love it, and have been using it for over a year. I don't plan to try any other relaxer.
Thanks for saying that. I plan to try the affirm again but I am not sure to use the fiberguard or regular. Unfortunately, I ordered the fiberguard which I used before and now I'm thinking I should use the regular. Which one do you use? I want my hair to stay really full like it is naturally but be straight but not bone straight. And believe me, you're not taken me away from phyto. I plan to never use it again.

DMarie

Last edited:
Zuppy said:
I have THick course 4B hair, and my hair comes out too striaght. Are you using index 1 or 2?

I used index 2. I am thinking about getting another relaxer at 6 wks instead of my usual 10.

Hey Ladies,

I am 4a/b..mostly 4b and I use phytorelaxer. I have had no problems with the dryness that you guys spoke about. How often do you do you use a deep moisturizing treatment? I will admit that I do not like the milky reconstructor that comes with the relaxer....that I won't be using again.

Nice said:
Hey Ladies,

I am 4a/b..mostly 4b and I use phytorelaxer. I have had no problems with the dryness that you guys spoke about. How often do you do you use a deep moisturizing treatment? I will admit that I do not like the milky reconstructor that comes with the relaxer....that I won't be using again.

My problem is not really with dryness, but a "crunchy" texture. The wavy sections are soft, but the tighter waved "crunchy" sections are hard. I can handle dryness, but I need the courser sections of my hair straighter.

lkg4healthyhair said:
Me too!!!!!

I am wondering if she used Index 1 or 2 since her hair is course.

Hmmm...she used 2 which I ordered. Lets hope we both have good results (60 bucks, darn it!) :p

sjarman13 said:
One week prior to having my PHYTO applied, I clairified and did not put any oils on my newgrowth (to ensure that the relaxer would process properly).
The stylist applied the PHYTO, let it stay in longer than the recommended process time and smoothed. My course sections did not get straight. Of course they appeared to be straight once I left the salon, but two days later I washed and conditioned and the courser sections of my hair ranged from "wavy to crunchy"! What happened?I know that PHYTO doesn't get bone straight, but I don't want "wavy and crunchy"!
OK Let me preface this by saying I have 4a/4b hair and I have applied phyto myself twice.

Now onto what I think the problem is, above in bold is what I think the culprit is not the phyto.

First off, phyto is not some texturizer or something. It is a full strength relaxer, if you don't normally do the things that you said above you should not have with this relaxer. I have completley straightened my hair with this relaxer, I think the only difference is that this felt more moisturizing than ones I have tried in the past. Dana 03 started a thread that I will link to below but I think that crunchy feeling is what overprocessed hair feels like. Basically I think you overprocessed mistakingly believing this is a light relaxer, this relaxer completely straightens your hair as any other relaxer would. I have only used it twice but have been familiar with it for about a year now. I use index 2 followed the directions to a T including using the products provided in the box (not substituting anything). I hope this helps!!!! I'm sorry this happened to you. :mad:

Read question 3 and it specifically addresses hair that looks wavy after the relaxer was applied.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50690

I think it sounds like you might have overprocessed and you should baby your hair untill your next touch up.

Its just a theory...Good Luck!

Arabianprincess said:
sjarman13 said:
One week prior to having my PHYTO applied, I clairified and did not put any oils on my newgrowth (to ensure that the relaxer would process properly).
The stylist applied the PHYTO, let it stay in longer than the recommended process time and smoothed. My course sections did not get straight. Of course they appeared to be straight once I left the salon, but two days later I washed and conditioned and the courser sections of my hair ranged from "wavy to crunchy"! What happened?I know that PHYTO doesn't get bone straight, but I don't want "wavy and crunchy"!
OK Let me preface this by saying I have 4a/4b hair and I have applied phyto myself twice.

Now onto what I think the problem is, above in bold is what I think the culprit is not the phyto.

First off, phyto is not some texturizer or something. It is a full strength relaxer, if you don't normally do the things that you said above you should not have with this relaxer. I have completley straightened my hair with this relaxer, I think the only difference is that this felt more moisturizing than ones I have tried in the past. Dana 03 started a thread that I will link to below but I think that crunchy feeling is what overprocessed hair feels like. Basically I think you overprocessed mistakingly believing this is a light relaxer, this relaxer completely straightens your hair as any other relaxer would. I have only used it twice but have been familiar with it for about a year now. I use index 2 followed the directions to a T including using the products provided in the box (not substituting anything). I hope this helps!!!! I'm sorry this happened to you. :mad:

Read question 3 and it specifically addresses hair that looks wavy after the relaxer was applied.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50690

I think it sounds like you might have overprocessed and you should baby your hair untill your next touch up.

Its just a theory...Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply Dana, but I misled you. She only left the relaxer on 3-4 minutes longer (because I was watching the clock.... hard!) My hair feels underprocessed. The wavy sections are soft but not straight. No breakage nor that awful porous feeling.

My hair actually feels stronger. I lost much less hair during perming as well.

My hair actually feels stronger. I lost much less hair during perming as well.

Oh ok, this definitely doesn't sound like overprocessed. Thats good to hear, at least there is no damage :grin: .

Back