Phonyponies.com

strenght81

Has anyone on this board purchased a phony pony from phonyponies.com? I am thinking about buying one from them, it looks convienent, the photos look great. My concern are, is it really worth the price, can I make one at home? For those that have purchased one can you please post your experience. Is the texture of hair a good quality?, Are you satisfied? Is it versatile in the stlyes that can be done with it? Do you ever feel like it's going to fall out your head on the street? :eek: :lachen: I am begining my hair journrey on Dec 1 after removing my last weave, and I need to start buying some stuff to get prepared. All response are appreciated

Let's just say that I ordered on October 16, and I'm still waiting....:mad:

I'm sure the pony is nice, but they take forever and a day to get it to you, apparently.

preciousjewel76 said:

I'm sure the pony is nice, but they take forever and a day to get it to you, apparently.
Girl, and you are going to be waiting and waiting..... :cool:

I just recently received my first pony from them, the afro puff jerry curl clip. Let me back up. I placed my order Oct 7th. My credit card was debitted the 10th. Cool. Since I picked USPS with an estimated shipping time of 2-3 days, imagine my dismay when ELEVEN days later, it still had not arrived. So, that's when I started emailing them. I emailed them FOUR times. I then called them and left a message on what sounded like some asian woman's cell phone voicemail. No return of call :mad: . Then I called again the next day, and she answered and ACKNOWLEGED she'd gotten my previous phone message and claimed she hadn't received not one of my four emails :rolleyes:, and that's why she hadn't replied to them. Whatever. So then she claimed that phonyponies are "custom" made and it can take up to 3 weeks to receive them b/c of this. She says the website says so. Does it? I don't know. Perhaps it's semantics but IMO "custom made" is when you are ordering something that isn't on the menu. For example, if "Big Mac" is on the menu just like "1B Afro Jerry Puff" is on your menu, then it is not "custom made". Now, if I ordered a puff in a color or length that wasn't on the menu, just like if I ordered a Big Mac with no special sauce then it would be custom-made. So, I talked to her last Tues and of course, she had *just* put it in the mail the previous Friday. I received it last Friday.

Onto the actual pony. I was sooo disappointed when I opened the box b/c it didn't look like the pic at all. The picture, to me, looked like a 3C afro puff. I thought I'd been jipped and was out of $34.My phony pony looked spiky and kind of punk rockish when I put it on, not like a puff, not like the pics on the website. The instructions provided were NOT helpful: "fluff with fingers", etc Then I just got desperate, whipped out my brush and started brushing it, which was a great thing. It turned into a 4a/b afro with all the brushing, and then it started looking puffy. Then I misted it with water and scrunched it with my fingers, put it under the cool hooded dryer and it came out beautiful--like the 3C afro puff that I wanted! Just like the pic in the website! I was sooo happy.

Would I order from them again? Well, probably not a puff. I can figure out how to make my own probably with the one I have. As cute as it is, no it doesn't cost $34 + $5.70 S/H (with the big as cuff "$4.55 shipping label on the box :rolleyes:). But, I may one day get the barrette style to figure out how to make a barrette one myself.

Last edited:
Oh, hell to the naw! I didn't realize they had such poor customer service. And to think, I sent them an email on Friday asking about my pony (I ordered a straight one, with the "cee clip").

Geez, this thing better be worth the wait. I'm glad you like yours, that gives me some hope.:look:

anatomicallycorrect said:

I just recently received my first pony from them, the afro puff jerry curl clip. Let me back up. I placed my order Oct 7th. My credit card was debitted the 10th. Cool. Since I picked USPS with an estimated shipping time of 2-3 days, imagine my dismay when ELEVEN days later, it still had not arrived. So, that's when I started emailing them. I emailed them FOUR times. I then called them and left a message on what sounded like some asian woman's cell phone voicemail. No return of call :mad: . Then I called again the next day, and she answered and ACKNOWLEGED she'd gotten my previous phone message and claimed she hadn't received not one of my four emails :rolleyes:, and that's why she hadn't replied to them. Whatever. So then she claimed that phonyponies are "custom" made and it can take up to 3 weeks to receive them b/c of this. She says the website says so. Does it? I don't know. Perhaps it's semantics but IMO "custom made" is when you are ordering something that isn't on the menu. For example, if "Big Mac" is on the menu just like "1B Afro Jerry Puff" is on your menu, then it is not "custom made". Now, if I ordered a puff in a color or length that wasn't on the menu, just like if I ordered a Big Mac with no special sauce then it would be custom-made. So, I talked to her last Tues and of course, she had *just* put it in the mail the previous Friday. I received it last Friday.

Onto the actual pony. I was sooo disappointed when I opened the box b/c it didn't look like the pic at all. The picture, to me, looked like a 3C afro puff. I thought I'd been jipped and was out of $34.My phony pony looked spiky and kind of punk rockish when I put it on, not like a puff, not like the pics on the website. The instructions provided were NOT helpful: "fluff with fingers", etc Then I just got desperate, whipped out my brush and started brushing it, which was a great thing. It turned into a 4a/b afro with all the brushing, and then it started looking puffy. Then I misted it with water and scrunched it with my fingers, put it under the cool hooded dryer and it came out beautiful--like the 3C afro puff that I wanted! Just like the pic in the website! I was sooo happy.

Would I order from them again? Well, probably not a puff. I can figure out how to make my own probably with the one I have. As cute as it is, no it doesn't cost $34 + $5.70 S/H (with the big as cuff "$4.55 shipping label on the box :rolleyes:). But, I may one day get the barrette style to figure out how to make a barrette one myself.

anatomicallycorrect said:

Sorry about your predicament, but the way you broke it down, that was hilarious!! :lol: Custom made, my foot!! That woman ran out of excuses!! :lol:

I purchased some ponytails from Hair Outfitters on 10/22, and recieved my order on the 10/26! Their prices are great and the shipping was super-fast for me. I don't know if it's because the items were in stock or what, but maybe check them out at http://www.hairoutfitters.com/

My only caution is that they didn't seem have the absolute largest selection of ponies, but they did have the ponies I wear regularly, so I was happy.

HTH!:)

preciousjewel76 said:
Oh, hell to the naw! I didn't realize they had such poor customer service. And to think, I sent them an email on Friday asking about my pony (I ordered a straight one, with the "cee clip").

Geez, this thing better be worth the wait. I'm glad you like yours, that gives me some hope.:look:
Girl, you'll get it....eventually, when she feels like sending it :rolleyes:

Jessy55 said:
Sorry about your predicament, but the way you broke it down, that was hilarious!! :lol: Custom made, my foot!! That woman ran out of excuses!! :lol:
LOL! Did I mention that she said on the phone it takes them 3 weeks to make the pony? :rolleyes:. I guess I got "lucky" then since it only took 1 week for me to get mine once I started raising a stink. Oh no, I'm wrong, it did take 3 weeks from order to arrival :ohwell:

i got mine years ago and i still have it. Great color matching and all. I did not have any customer service issues. My transaction went quite well

carameldiva said:
i got mine years ago and i still have it. Great color matching and all. I did not have any customer service issues. My transaction went quite well
I wish my pony color was darker. I ordered 1B and it looks like a 2. i am afraid to dye it though.

Same here.......3 weeks. When I called she gave me the story about some protesting was going on and they weren't at work doing this time.

I finally received the straight haired pony and like AC my pony looked more like a color #2, instead of a 1B. It's nice but you might want to order color #1 if your natural hair is 1B.

Good luck.

preciousjewel76 said:

I finally got mine. I orded about the same time. The lady called me personally after I sent a scathing email threatening to contact paypal, my financial institute and demanding a refund for lying about the turn around time. I told her point blank that she wasn't handmaking ish and if I didn't get it Monday all hell would break loose. How about my neighbor had it in his house for three plus days. LOL I think I may apologize to the ole bat since I will be ordering another one. LOL She better get to me with a quickness goshdarnit.

I need to practice on pulling my hair back though. I posted pics in the photo gallery. I will order a bigger and nappier one this week.:lachen:

Last edited:
Back