Phony tail/Bun Wearers - I have a Question

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
When pinning your phonytail/bun how do you pin it. I am asking because it seems like no matter how I pin it at the top of the phonytail/bun it feels like it heavy like tension or somethingon my hair. I don't use the comb attachment but pins instead. What can I do. Is there something I can place there to releive some of the tension?

Sorry but I use the combs. Sometimes I do stick a few pins down inside of it after it's already hooked on my head. But I would never feel like it was secure enough with just the pins.

Bumping because I have the same issue. I even get a lot of breakage in this area. So much so that I have given up wearing them. I've tried drawstring with a comb, I've tried bobby pinning my own. The only solution I have had is to lower the phony away from my crown but some phonies don't look quite right lower than the crown...ya know?

try not to use as many bobby pin and angle the pin up instead on toward the scalp.

When do you bobby pin are you pinning as you wrap after you are wrapped then start bobby pinning?

When pinning your phonytail/bun how do you pin it. I am asking because it seems like no matter how I pin it at the top of the phonytail/bun it feels like it heavy like tension or somethingon my hair. I don't use the comb attachment but pins instead. What can I do. Is there something I can place there to releive some of the tension?

Last edited:
what kind of bobby pins are you using...try using the ones that have the little bulb at the tips...i find the ones without hurt more and there is more breakage.

Bumping because I have the same issue. I even get a lot of breakage in this area. So much so that I have given up wearing them. I've tried drawstring with a comb, I've tried bobby pinning my own. The only solution I have had is to lower the phony away from my crown but some phonies don't look quite right lower than the crown...ya know?

Thanks for the suggestion about the bobby pins, I do used the cushioned ones. IDK.

bumping for more replies.

I am happy to report that I finally do not have to use pins anymore to secure my donut bun. But when I did have to use them, I used the wonderful "ouchless" Goody ones that don't snag on your hair or break the ends. I use a donut bun, but when I didn't have enough hair to tuck under each end, I would use a scunci to secure the remaining hair around the bun. Now that I do not use the pins, I am able to add moisturizer and seal the ends with oil, then tuck them around the donut bun.

If I'm doing something like a Frech roll where I have to use pins, I make sure that the ends are protected, tucking them under and securing with ouchless bobby pins.

I seldom where styles other than the dreaded, boring donut bun. I've gotten so good at doing the bun in less than 30 seconds, and I'm out the door.

I just hope that doing these protective styles are worth it in the end.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out for you. ;)

Yup I had the same problem and it caused a lot of breakage in the crown so I stopped wearing them I had to find an alternative protective style. For me it's one braid at the back pinned to the side.

I use the ones with comb attachments.....I don't have any tension problems unless I wrap the drawstring too tight. I also change the position so that I don't stress one area too much.

i change the position of my ponytail regularly so i haven't endured any breakage issues.

i also take out as soon as i get home.

Thanks ladies,

I am using good hair pens but it just seems like by the end of the day my head was killing me. I think that i have found a solution: I cushion the spot with a sock and then cover the sock with my hair and add the ponytail. I hope that makes sense. Today it hasn't hurted as much.

Back