Phony Ponys??

vonte422

Has anyone ever had one? the kind when the weave weft is wrapped around your ponytail and secured with a bunch of bobby pins? Im trying to find a style to last inexpensive and so i wont have to focus on my hair in the morning when i go back to school. I was also thinking about getting some tracks put in. If any of you ladies have any suggestions please chime in

Thanks in Advance

My mom used to give me those types of ponytails back in the day and YIKES!!!!

These days there are SO MANY more options. Go to a BSS and browse the ponytails (drawstring, clip on, combs, etc.) and they come in both curly, straight, synthetic, human, etc. That would be so much easier on your head than having a bunch of hair/bobby pins irritating your scalp. Usually you can get one for like $10-$12.

My humble suggestion.

Actually, when I was younger(13-14) my hair grew and I retained alot of length by spraying my hair with S Curl, putting it in a ponytail bun and then using the weft hair(phony pony). I would take the ponytail down every 2-3 days and apply S Curl to keep my hair moist and just tie it down to make sure it was smooth. I'm not sure how long your hair is, but as your hair grows, your ball of course gets bigger and you have to add more weft hair to accommodate and cover your hair. Have you considered wear a drawstring ponytail? You can also make your own drawstring ponytail with better hair closer to your texture. Or, have you considered getting UPA Clip?

I think the pin around ones can look more natural than the drawstring/clip ones when done right. But the drawstring is easier. And you can find them anywhere and they're relatively inexpensive. It's rare to see phony ponies in human hair though. So if you want human, you might be better off buying a pack of track and pinning it around. That's what I used to do when I wanted a long straight phony pony.

Last edited:
Also if you do decide to do the bobby pin ones. Please, please, please oil the bobby pins and watch how you put them in. My cousin stick one into her scalp and didn't even know it. I also lost a lot of hair in that spot back in the early 90's so be careful when you take it out.

I used to roll them up with curl wax and put them in the microwave to set. My hair was so big back then than one of the buddies of one of the guys that I was dating told him that I was a dude. 'check the adam's apple man, the adam's apple'. I started going to gay clubs with my friends and getting drinks from guys who thought I was a guy. I know, off topic,:yep: but those bobby pins brought back some crazy 20's memories.

The bobby pins one looks more sassy and kute! BUT I used to keep mine up for 2 weeks at a time and OW!! Those bobby pins hurt me soo badly that I always had scabs when I took down the pony so please be careful!! It can leave scabs :(

I reccomend a comb/drawstring sort of phony pony (Phonytail as I call them :) ) I love the sort that are reverseable - when worn one way it's a demure curled pony tail, but flip it the other way and it's a cascade of lose pretty curls for a more fun look! http://www.extremebeautysupply.com/servlet/the-PONY-TAILS/Categories
I have one of those and I wear it to work every day and I turn it over and hit the town! As a former ponytail pinner, I can say this way is FAR more comfortable. Beware though, especially curly phonytails can very quickly become a pain, and those phonytails with a huuuuuuge mesh area to cover your hair and a long drawstring on the side can be a bad look. The phonytail will bunch up and look very fake after you pull the drawstring if you get one like that. Unless you have very thick bulky hair once you put it up, go for a phony tail with a mesh portion that's just about the size of your fist. These work nicely and look more like your own hair.:yep:

I have had one since last summer, but I'm too afraid to use it. It has fell off in the house. I would be SO EMBARASSED if that happened in public! :blush:

Back