Phony Pony Question . . .

lisatamika

I have a human hair, wavy, drawstring phony pony. I wash it with regular shampoo and let it air dry. Everytime I wear it, it gets really stiff and tangly. What am I doing wrong? What should I put on it?

BTW, it has been doing this since I got it.

:scratchch Hmmm...I just got one too and haven't washed it yet. If it's human hair, do you think maybe it's stiff and tangly b/c it needs conditioner (leave-in or rinse-out)?

Nyambura said:
:scratchch Hmmm...I just got one too and haven't washed it yet. If it's human hair, do you think maybe it's stiff and tangly b/c it needs conditioner (leave-in or rinse-out)?

I was thinking that too. But, I've tried everything. Just rinsing with plain water, washing w/no conditioner, using a leave-in and every combination of those three that you can think of, but I still get the same result :confused:

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Have you tried using some type of moisturizer on it?
That should make it softer & less tangly.

I have tried a little serum on it. Maybe I'll spritz it with a little S Curl . . .

are you handling it real rough while doing it? I handle mine carefully, gently smoothing on the poo & cond. without tangling up the hair (applying the stuff in a straight down motion, from "root" to end of tail). I hold the root of the tail with 1 hand and the end of the tail with the other as I rinse the stuff out, then towel blot dry before spritzing on some braid spray and fluffing it out lightly before leaving it on a wire hanger to air dry, hth :yep:

I have a question and did not want to start a new post, does anyone have pics of an afro pony from phonyponies.com?

sassyhair said:
I have a question and did not want to start a new post, does anyone have pics of an afro pony from phonyponies.com?
Hey SassyHair, I just got an afro-spiral pony from them...when I get back to my apt I'll try to take a picture...just a warning - its HUGE and it doesn't attach like store bought ponies, its attached to a butterfly clip.

lisatamika said:
I have tried a little serum on it. Maybe I'll spritz it with a little S Curl . . .

Detangling is tricky because excess brushing or combing will thin it out. I use cheapie VO5 Silky. It's a very good detangling conditioner. Avoid using water that is too hot.

For futrue washes, I recommend brading it and securing the end with a clip. I then use a basin with warm water and add a moisturizing or genle shampoo like NTM or castille soap. I dip and squeeze pohy in the sudsy water to make sure the entire pony has had contact with the suds. You may want to empty the basin and repeat if the pony is especially coated with haircare products.

Then I rinse with clear cold water several times using the basin/dipping/squeeze method. Cool or cold water is a faster way to kill the soap suds.

Last, I rinse the pony is warm water and unbraid it before I directly apply the VO5 conditioner. Comb it through and rinse out the conditioner with warm water. I like to air dry the pony braided at least half way.

HTH

Thanks alot, I cant wait to see the pics, I dunno if Ima like a hugs phony pony afro though.

GirlywithCurlies said:
Hey SassyHair, I just got an afro-spiral pony from them...when I get back to my apt I'll try to take a picture...just a warning - its HUGE and it doesn't attach like store bought ponies, its attached to a butterfly clip.

sassyhair said:

I'd take a pic but mine looks like a wet rat now, I've moved like 7 times since I last posted in this thread & it got mangled :lol:

Back