phony ponies and breakage

naturallyme

i use to wear my phony ponies but now i have stopped because im afraid of breakage. i only wore one for like two weeks this month, and i use to wear them a year and half ago but i had stopped after i had read on this forum about some peeps having breakage, but when i wore them i never experienced any breakage. the reason i wore them is because it's a protective style, and i don't have to do my hair. i want to buy me a new phony pony but what if i start to get breakage do yall think that i should continue to wear them or not i just don't know what to do! thanks to whoever responds!!

I wear a pony 5 days a week. I either wear a baggy or a cut stocking over the bun part and never pull my hair into a bun tight. Except for my eyeglasses breaking my sides, I don't see a problem with the pony and breakage.

Actually the same thing- I think- is happening to me. I have been experiencing a lot of breakage- but I have been experiencing a lot of breaking in the middle of my head, more than any place else. This week I decided not to wear the phony pony in my hair to see what happens. Let me know if you find a solution.

naturallyme said:
i use to wear my phony ponies but now i have stopped because im afraid of breakage. i only wore one for like two weeks this month, and i use to wear them a year and half ago but i had stopped after i had read on this forum about some peeps having breakage, but when i wore them i never experienced any breakage. the reason i wore them is because it's a protective style, and i don't have to do my hair. i want to buy me a new phony pony but what if i start to get breakage do yall think that i should continue to wear them or not i just don't know what to do! thanks to whoever responds!!

Wearing a pony in the same spot all the time may cause breakage, also lack of moisture on your ends, and hair that isnt strong enough may cause breakage as well. And if you do experience breakage when wearing a phony pony you should stop wearing it and opt for another protective style. I wear phony ponies 50% of the time, when I do I wear a baggie to protect my ends and to keep my ends moisturized, also I make sure not to keep my pony in the same spot all the time, by doing this I never experienced any breakage.

thanks ladies!! im going to wear the baggie and try not to wear my bun too tight and im only going to wear them for a month and then the next month wear twists.
onpoint, i haven't experienced any breakage from wearing my phony ponies, and i hope that i don't if i start back wearing them like i use too!

For the ladies that are natural, what kind of phony ponies or buns do you get? I plan on leaving heat out of my hair, so i know it would look kind of weird to have my natural hair then a ponytail or a bun that's straight.

Millah03 said:
For the ladies that are natural, what kind of phony ponies or buns do you get? I plan on leaving heat out of my hair, so i know it would look kind of weird to have my natural hair then a ponytail or a bun that's straight.
I look for curly and kinky phonytails. They usually have them @ the BSS

I know we are probably in two different parts of the country, but on average how much do you spend on a phony pony/bun and do you get synthetic or human hair?

I also look for textured ponys for my natural hair. I have two synthetic pony puffs for which I paid $10 each at the BSS.

ooh this sound good. I think what was leading to my breakage was keeping the pony in one spot. I will invest in a kinky pony this week! That way I can avoid the heat

I wear a phony pony and never experienced any breakage. I CO-wash daily (in the summer) so, it's still damp and well moisurized when I put the pony in. So, you may want to consider at least wetting and moisturizing your hair in the middle really well before you apply the pony. This way, the lil comb attachment wont be ripping through dry strands which predisposes it to breakage.

diamoness i might try that!
does anyone uses the phony ponies that clips onto your hair? does it stay on your hair good or can if fall off? if so, is it better than the drawstring ones? i never used the ones that clips on. just curious to know!!

i have been wearing the pony tail and co washing leting it airdry over night and when i touch my hair gobs come in my hand little circles of hair i wonder if i should try to straighten it with heat then put it up in the ponytail because i am see a thousand little hairs ...what could be the cause?

I wear phonies and the key is moisture. I put my hair in a bun and then i put vasiline or grease thick around where the claw are going to hold.

Millah03 said:

I wear afro puff ponies (pics in my album)...I've paid from $10 - $20 and either get them at the BSS or online at Bella's

Back