Petrolium and Mineral Oil?...

VroniL2006

I was reading an article about petrolium and mineral oil found in hair products, especially in a lot of black hair products. Its supposedly not good for you because it clogs the pores in your scalp and only coats the hair strand causing an "artificial shine" and make hair more prone to damage and breakage:eek: !

So:perplexed , I went through all of my hair products and found that most of the hair products that I got from a professional salon or from other hair markets (Kenra, Biolage, Nexxus) they were okay. HOWEVER, my Dark & Lovely hair creme, ALL of my Motion products and some other odds & ends like TCB and any hair grease I have (which I rarely use), they contain these ingredients.

Most of these products that I found with petrolium and mineral oil, I barely used. I didnt like the way my hair felt when I used them. So I didnt feel to bad....until I found out that my Motions Silk Protein had mineral oil in it! This is one of my staples, and I love the way my hair feels after I use it. Its the only product that I use, when i have a lot of new growth, because it makes it so soft and manageable, almost as if I had gotten a relaxer. I can't bare to get rid of my Motions Protein Conditioner!! What am I going to do??

What is your advice on this subject? Has anyone else heard the same thing about these two ingredients? :confused: I definitely do not want to hinder any potential growth of my hair. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
VroniL2006 said:
I was reading an article about petrolium and mineral oil found in hair products, especially in a lot of black hair products. Its supposedly not good for you because it clogs the pores in your scalp and only coats the hair strand causing an "artificial shine" and make hair more prone to damage and breakage:eek: !

So:perplexed , I went through all of my hair products and found that most of the hair products that I go from a professional salon or from other hair markets (Kenra, Biolage, Nexxus) they were okay. HOWEVER, my Dark & Lovely hair creme, ALL of my Motion products and some other odds & ends like TCB and any hair grease I have (which I rarely use).

Most of these products that I found with petrolium and mineral oil, I barely used. I didnt like the way my hair felt when I used them. So I didnt feel to bad....until I found out that my Motions Silk Protein had mineral oil in it! This is one of my staples, and I love the way my hair feels after I use it. Its the only product that I use, when i have a lot of new growth, because it makes it so soft and manageable, almost as if I had gotten a relaxer. I can't bare to get rid of my Motions Protein Conditioner!! What am I going to do??

What is your advice on this subject? Has anyone else heard the same thing about these two ingredients? :confused: I definitely do not want to hinder any potential growth of my hair. Any suggestions?

I personally use a hair product that has mineral oil in it and my hair does not appear to be suffering from it. I keep my hair moist most of the time and this product is like an oil moisturiser that seals in the moisture and my hair is thriving. There was an article that someone posted regarding petroleum and mineral oil and the article said if I remember correctly that they can be very moisturising. I don't use this product on my scalp, only lightly on my hair. I have had no problems. But there are soooooo many that say negative things about petroleum and mineral oil so I guess it's up to each person to decide if they will use it or not.

Read more and see if its for you , because there are plenty of women on this board that use products with MO and Petroleum and are thriving ...

fancypants007 said:
I don't use this product on my scalp, only lightly on my hair.

I agree with you. As long as you aren't greasing your scalp with it, then it's not doing harm to you.

I say use what works for your hair. When I first came to hair boards, the consensus seemed to be petroleum, MO, cones, and sulfates are bad, so I cut all of them out, only to see my hair suffer. So now, I do use products with MO in them because I have found that it is not bad for my hair. So I would not throw out the Motions if I were you.

when I first came to the boards, I was feeling that I must also get rid of most of the products with these ingredients(mo,petroleum). After being here a while, I just started paying attention to the products with the most positive reviews, reading the ingredients then choosing the products that had water and natural stuff (castor,jojoba..etc) first.

I read somewhere that whatever is one of the first ingredients, is what the product is mostly made of. My conclusion was just like the others here, I ended up getting rid of or mixing most of my black hair products, I try to stay away from sulfates, I dont put much stuff on my scalp, and the stuff that is recommended here usually works.

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the products are keeping your hair healthy (something really only seen over time) then I wouldn't bother avoiding them. Generally, most products with mineral oil don't work well on my hair. I think that's mainly because mineral oil is usually too high up on the ingredients list. But my Miss Key 10 en 1 and Elasta QP Recovery are two notable exceptions.

There are women on this board who just use Keracare and have GORGEOUS hair.

I agree, if it isn't broke don't fix it. I don't use mineral oil or petrolatum but I have noticed that when I used them my scalp would get dirty quicker than without them.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=1703883&postcount=20

Reposting the info from the post made above:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...FER=SKIN&ID=47

The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Paula Begoun

With that said, do what works for your hair. Don't just stop using something because you read somewhere that it's supposedly bad. If you see problems with it, then trash it. If you don't, keep it. There are lots of things in the past that were the consensus that have been debunked (cutting your hair makes it grow, the world is flat, etc.).

Last edited:
navsegda said:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=1703883&postcount=20

Reposting the info from the post made above:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...FER=SKIN&ID=47

The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Paula Begoun

With that said, do what works for your hair. Don't just stop using something because you read somewhere that it's supposedly bad. If you see problems with it, then trash it. If you don't, keep it. There are lots of things in the past that were the consensus that have been debunked (cutting your hair makes it grow, the world is flat, etc.).

I remember reading this article. Thank you for re-posting it. One of my staples has mineral oil in it and I simply love this product. I have already purchased 3 jars of it and I will definitely be purchasing it again.

fancypants007 said:
I remember reading this article. Thank you for re-posting it. One of my staples has mineral oil in it and I simply love this product. I have already purchased 3 jars of it and I will definitely be purchasing it again.

You're welcome. :D I love Motions as well as some other brands that may include one or two of the "bad" ingredients, and my hair thrives with all of them.

I forgot to say that I didnt completely stop using products because of what I read, of course I did MUCH research and reading before I found what my problems were. After switching from the MO and Pet heavy products, my use or natural oils helped. I also realized that CWing more and using the new stuff worked for me. So yes all are right, no one should switch just because someone suggested a product. I eventually found what works for me. MO and Pets didnt. Thanks again to all. Everything I learn helps!!!

I personally think that it is hype. Trying to get people to jump on the "natural" products band wagon. I honestly don't think that cosmetic grade mineral oil and petrolatum is not as bad as they make it out to be.

Not to go against the grain here but I thought use of Petroleum & Mineral oils, blocked the potential moisture that your hair can get from other water soluble products and acted like a false sealant/moisturizer.

In other words, while you think your strands are moisturized because they are soft and shiny with the use of Petroleum & Mineral Oil products, the molecules are not small enough to break down into the hair shaft where the moisture is needed. Therefore, the underlying core goes without moisture.

Cathy Howse gave a good example of this in her book where she referenced putting a gram cracker in a jar of Vaseline (petroleum) and the gram cracker did not absorb it vs. putting the gram cracker in a water based moisturizer. In the latter, the cracker absorbed the moisture.

This is how I think it affects our hair. In addition I thought if you apply these products first and followed up with a real moisturizer, it would not reach the shaft because the petroleum is blocking (sealing/preventing) it.

Hence, I don’t use prodcuts with both of these ingredients

SerenityBreeze said:
Not to go against the grain here but I thought use of Petroleum & Mineral oils, blocked the potential moisture that your hair can get from other water soluble products and acted like a false sealant/moisturizer.

In other words, while you think your strands are moisturized because they are soft and shiny with the use of Petroleum & Mineral Oil products, the molecules are not small enough to break down into the hair shaft where the moisture is needed. Therefore, the underlying core goes without moisture.

Cathy Howse gave a good example of this in her book where she referenced putting a gram cracker in a jar of Vaseline (petroleum) and the gram cracker did not absorb it vs. putting the gram cracker in a water based moisturizer. In the latter, the cracker absorbed the moisture.

This is how I think it affects our hair. In addition I thought if you apply these products first and followed up with a real moisturizer, it would not reach the shaft because the petroleum is blocking (sealing/preventing) it.

Hence, I don’t use prodcuts with both of these ingredients
As a scientist, I think that she could've used a better example than a graham cracker and Vaseline because that makes no sense. The amount of petroleum or mineral oil in most products is not in a high enough concentration and are diluted by the water and other ingredients in them, and thus could not cause as much blockage as most people think. Also, none of these products include JUST petroleum or mineral oil (like her Vaseline and graham cracker example), which makes her example flawed. It's like comparing apples and oranges because our hair is nothing like a graham cracker and these products are not straight petroleum or mineral oil. Also, different chemicals and ingredients have different bond energies and different strengths, and the membranes in our hair and bodies have different degrees of solubility (some things can go through and some things can't). So therefore, other ingredients may be stronger than the bonds in the petroleum or mineral oil and can thus break through to nourish the hair.

Last edited:
navsegda said:
As a scientist, I think that she could've used a better example than a graham cracker and Vaseline because that makes no sense. The amount of petroleum or mineral oil in most products is not in a high enough concentration and are diluted by the water and other ingredients in them, and thus could not cause as much blockage as most people think. Also, none of these products include JUST petroleum or mineral oil (like her Vaseline and graham cracker example), which makes her example flawed. It's like comparing apples and oranges because our hair is nothing like a graham cracker and these products are not straight petroleum or mineral oil. Also, different chemicals have different bond energies and different strengths and the membranes in our hair and bodies have different degrees of solubility (some things can go through and some things can't). So therefore, other ingredients may be stronger than the bonds in the petroleum or mineral oil and can thus break through to nourish the hair.

I just knew you would break it down for me while I was typing out my thoughts on it. Thanks! Fair enough, what you are saying does make sense. I love the fact that we are able to benefit from your scientific point of view. You are a real asset to the board!

Bests!

Back