Perm Sores, Getting a Trim, misc questions

ThatChick

Hey everyone,
I am still new to the board but I have some things I would like to discuss and also I have a few concerns. Recently I took out my sewn in weave which I worn for a year. My hair was long and healthy and I needed a trim. I contemplated and finally I decided to go to the beauty shop but chickened out on letting them trim my hair. Finally, Friday night I went back to the shop and received a perm. My first concern is that I know have perm sores (scabs) in my hair. What can I do to get rid of them, and is this a normal part of perming? Also, I let the beautician trim my bad ends and I cant help but feel cheated. I honestly feel like she cut too much. I know its not good to have dead ends but I feel horrible. Is this normal. What can I do to make my hair grow and be healthy with a relaxer? Now that I have these scabs Im sure I wont get much new growth next month. This is why I put the weave in the first place. I am so worried. I just want long healthy hair by the summer. Is that too much to ask for?

That Chick welcome to the board.

You've come to the right place if long healthy hair whether you want it relaxed or natural.

When you went to this salon was your scalp based with a product or just the hair line?

Did you wash your hair, itch your scalp, comb/brush your hair vigourously that may have disturbed the scalp 2-3 days prior to the relaxer?

What kind of relaxer was used on your hair? Lye or No Lye

Do you know roughly how long they left the relaxer on your head for. Was it burning you before they washed it out?

How many times did they wash it out with a shampoo and for how long?

I don't know how you behave with your hair just before a relaxer, but if something along the lines of the questions I asked were done/not done incorrectly then this doesn't guarantee a safe as possible relaxer experience. If you never liked and had a good experience at that salon, then it's probably best that you don't go back there again. There are plenty of places around that relax to a superior standard and listen to the client. Many ladies either do it themself or have now found salons that respect their wishes and care more about their clients hair than the size of their tip.

London Diva, Thank you so much for responding. I believe the salon did an excellent job in basing my scalp and applying the perm. I did scratch my scalp prior to perming that is probably my fault. They actually based my scalp more thorough than any other beautician had. She used No Lye Vitale perm. Im not sure if that was a good choice, but it was either that or Motions with Lye. Oh and there was another perm I had never heard of - forgot the name. So do you think my scalp will recover from this ok? What can I do to speed up the healing process. Do you know of anything I could apply to my scalp to help?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
She used No Lye Vitale perm. Im not sure if that was a good choice, but it was either that or Motions with Lye

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok these are 2 very different types of perm. Is your hair relaxed with lye or no lye relxers. The reason I ask is because with the no lye you stated you're not sure if it was a good choice in using that relaxer, and if it wasn't you had the option of using the motions with lye.

If your hair is relaxed with lye and you use a no lye this is very damaging for your hair. If you have a no lye already and use a lye that's not so bad, because a lot of ladies on here use a lye relaxer as they find no lyes are more drying and damaging to the hair. One uses a calcium hyroxide base and another uses sodium hydroxide (lye) which is the safe out of the two.

Please keep to either one or the other for your hair type and what works well with it. Also, did your hairdresser even know what one to use on your hair?

Oh yeah you might want to try vitamin E oil or just burst a vit e oil capsule and apply to the sore areas on the scalp. There are other things which some ladies use but i can't remember what they are at the moment.

Thanks for the tips. Yes she used a no lye. I have been using no lye for as long as I can remember. I never knew that it was bad for your hair. I always thought lye was bad. She asked which perm I wanted to use bc she had never permed my hair before. I always went for a wash and blow dry.
I will definitely try the vitamin E. Thanks Again.

Back